Recommendations/Suggestions on Speakers

Cornwalls are named because they can be used in corners or near walls. So even though that 6" recommendation from an owner looks suspicious, they should work.

I would think either would be fine without a sub, but especially the Cornwalls.
The 6” was for the Forte but I did see the Cornwalls are so-named.

Luckily I’ve found a place here that is an authorized heritage dealer and carries the full line.

Wasn't sure if I should put this in the Klipsch owners thread or hear, but since I'm technically asking for a recommendation I feel safe here...

I am thinking forward to my next speaker upgrade and have my eyes on either Klipsch Cornwall iii's or Forte iii's - I am also peripherally interested in JBL L100 Classics so if anyone wants to talk those up, I'm listening. I've had Klipsch before but the more entry level Reference Premier floorstanders. Either way, I like the so-called "Klipsch sound".

I am wondering if anyone has thoughts on the sound between the two. The price difference isn't so great so that's not a factor. As well, I know the specs (sensitivity, frequency response, footprint, etc.); so what I am really asking about are the differences that cannot be summed up in the black-and-white of specs on a sheet. I plan on live-testing any speaker I buy - either here in Vegas or going to CA - but for now I'd like to begin getting others' impressions and what to listen for.

Currently, I am using a pair of MartinLogan Motion 40s with an SVS SB-2000 subwoofer (12"). My room is rather large - ~15' ceilings and it's an open desert-style build so it flows openly into the other first floor rooms. Currently carpeted but I will be replacing with hard wood in the next year or so.

Specific questions I have, if you have an answer/opinion:

- Will either or both of these speakers make my SVS sub obsolete? On paper, even the 2 Forte's have a 12" sub each and then 15's on the Cornwall's. Would another external sub be overkill? Or is there an upside of having another sub that I can dial in? I don't mind getting rid of the sub if it becomes redundant/unnecessary.

- What about positioning from the wall? I've heard that the Forte's operate really well close to the wall (one reviewer on Crutchfield said 6") and I'm not sure if the same is true for the Cornwall's (a contributor on a Klipsch forum commented they need some more breathing room). I currently keep the MartinLogan's only about a foot from the wall, toed-in. While the room is large and the wife and I made a drug deal that I get to use it as a music room (she got the downstairs bedroom as an art room/office) as I please, I have 3 dogs (2 who are large) and they run around like hell hounds wrestling, humping, drooling, and generally giving exactly zero fucks about my stereo equipment. So, I tried to keep speakers out of the center of the room (aka their arena). Any inputs on that end would be appreciated.

Also, I play my music anywhere from a whisper to blaring. I predominantly play vinyl but I still have a couple hundred CDs I rock through a transport and sometimes will Bluetooth in. As well, I listen to most everything - pop, metal, jazz, hip-hop, Prince (yes, that's a genre), etc.

Cheers!

Sorry for the late response but just seeing this now. I recently moved from the Heresy III to the Forte III and have been blown away by the results. You can see some of my comments on the Klipsch thread.

My space didn't allow for the Cornwalls to be an option, so I haven't heard them.

If you love the Klipsch sound, you'll love the Forte's.

As for wall placement, the owners manual references that they can be put as close to 2" from the wall. Wasn't ideal in my space, but it also didn't sound awful. I settled on 12" from the wall measured from rear/middle. Because I have a pretty extreme toe in, the inside rear corners are 7.5" from the wall and the outer are 16".

I get just as much enjoyment out of the Fortes (and I did with the Heresy's too) at low volumes as I do at high volumes. Night listening with loudness engaged at very low output volumes is amazing with the Fortes. On the flip side, I get goosebumps on the regular when I can turn them up.

Good luck in your quest!

Edit: Curious if you had a chance to visit the local dealer?

Edit 2: As for a sub, my experience with the Forte leads me to believe a sub is not necessary, but depending on your room and musical preferences, YMMV.

Last edited:
i Want those JBL L100 classics but at $4000 a pair that’s a bit much and I know as soon as I buy them they’ll sell em at half off, so I’m kind of waiting for a sale on them. I’m pretty happy with my Wharfedale Denton’s but I’m getting the itch again.....

Sorry for the late response but just seeing this now. I recently moved from the Heresy III to the Forte III and have been blown away by the results. You can see some of my comments on the Klipsch thread.

My space didn't allow for the Cornwalls to be an option, so I haven't heard them.

If you love the Klipsch sound, you'll love the Forte's.

As for wall placement, the owners manual references that they can be put as close to 2" from the wall. Wasn't ideal in my space, but it also didn't sound awful. I settled on 12" from the wall measured from rear/middle. Because I have a pretty extreme toe in, the inside rear corners are 7.5" from the wall and the outer are 16".

I get just as much enjoyment out of the Fortes (and I did with the Heresy's too) at low volumes as I do at high volumes. Night listening with loudness engaged at very low output volumes is amazing with the Fortes. On the flip side, I get goosebumps on the regular when I can turn them up.

Good luck in your quest!

Edit: Curious if you had a chance to visit the local dealer?

Edit 2: As for a sub, my experience with the Forte leads me to believe a sub is not necessary, but depending on your room and musical preferences, YMMV.
No, haven't made it yet. Honestly, this is a very far rock for me. I plan on buying a Technics SL-1200G w/ a Soundsmith Zephyr cart first, and I'm totally happy w/ my MartinLogans (but like "totally happy" in the "what can I buy next?" sort of way). But I appreciate the input. I'll probably use my sub since I have it and I love the rumble. I'll prob visit my local dealer soon. I like to know what I want way before I get it, so that when I do or see a ridiculously good sale I can pull the trigger with no hesitation. I think I am off the Cornwalls. While I physically have the space, I saw a photo of a guy standing with them in a warehouse and they are stupid big.

Should I keep the speaker grills on my ELACs or take them off? Does it matter in terms of sound quality?

Should I keep the speaker grills on my ELACs or take them off? Does it matter in terms of sound quality?
I've seen the grills on/off debated ad nauseum on other forums.

I think there are two ways to slice this loaf:

1) Aesthetics: there are some speakers that look great with the grill removed and others that look horrible (looking at you my old Boston Acoustics CR85s) with the grill removed. That seems just a matter of personal choice. I used to love a pair of Klipsch without the grill but regardless kept them on when not actively listening because a claw-happy cat showed a woofer the business end of his "fuck you" needles.

2) Sound quality: (what should be) the objective factor. I hear it either as "a thin piece of fabric isn't going to affect the sound" (doesn't matter camp) or "anything between your ears and the speakers is a no-go" (take em off camp). Personally, I take em off for listening cause it is an easy thing to do. In my heart of hearts do I think it matters? No, not at all; and in a blind sound taste test I doubt nudists would be able to pick out the unoffending speakers with anything but luck.

Back