Recommendations/Suggestions on Speakers

Believer101

I am thinking about getting a pair of AudioEngine A5+ (roughly 500AUD) I went with these because of the back input/outputs

3dfcc69b-14bf-4ace-a25f-1c647444af76._CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970__.jpg

Stereo RCA ins/outs (Im going direct from turntable)

Plus I was going to pair it with a AudioEngine S8 subwoof (cause they seemed very compatible) (Approx 500 AUD)

39443_P_1498534097871.jpg

Thoughts on the above? Anything else I should consider? I am using these in a large room with close neighbours (I might end up soundproofing tho)

Only using with the record player. (I have no amps or anything except the phono preamp phone E from project debut)

Coming from a z906 logitech system in 2.1. Just want more clarity for a wide range of music. And hoping the bass is more natural.

Last edited:
I would look at the Klipsch R-51PM's, they have some other powered options and subs, PLUS they have a 50% off sale going on right now. I'm not sure if there are any shipping wrinkles, but I would definitely give them a look over the AudioEngines ;)

I had a pair of Klipsch R-15PM on my Orbit when I first got it, they sounded great. Unfortunately they weren't a good pairing with my amp in passive mode once I started upgrading the system. But for your setup I think you'll enjoy them.

I would look at the Klipsch R-51PM's, they have some other powered options and subs, PLUS they have a 50% off sale going on right now. I'm not sure if there are any shipping wrinkles, but I would definitely give them a look over the AudioEngines ;)

I had a pair of Klipsch R-15PM on my Orbit when I first got it, they sounded great. Unfortunately they weren't a good pairing with my amp in passive mode once I started upgrading the system. But for your setup I think you'll enjoy them.

Where is the 50% off sale? I cant see it.

In my country these are 1200$ AUD for a pair so even more then double the price of audioengine A5s :O But if u link me this sale maybe I can work something out

Well that kind of blows.

The Edifier R1700BT have been getting a lot of good reviews. I don't know why I'm torturing myself now a days, but I always seem to be looking at speakers, lol.

Again, not sure how your location might come into play.

You might want to do a little searching from your end on Best Active speakers, Edifer has free shipping in the US, but I didn't see any yay or nay on International.

You might want to do a little searching from your end on Best Active speakers, Edifer has free shipping in the US, but I didn't see any yay or nay on International.

Okay so you convinced me to do a toss up between the 2000 pro model by edifer or the audioengine a5+

Both seem to have very good sound.
Edifer gives you more direct control with equalizers.
AudioEngine gives me the ability to have a subwoofer later down the track.

Its a hard one.
They do say the edifer has great bass on its own.
But not being able to have more bass if I want it :O

Scary.

Thoughts?

Edifer is actually about 150$ cheaper then the Audioengine a5+

Okay so you convinced me to do a toss up between the 2000 pro model by edifer or the audioengine a5+

Both seem to have very good sound.
Edifer gives you more direct control with equalizers.
AudioEngine gives me the ability to have a subwoofer later down the track.

Its a hard one.
They do say the edifer has great bass on its own.
But not being able to have more bass if I want it :O

Scary.

Thoughts?

Edifer is actually about 150$ cheaper then the Audioengine a5+

The ability to add a subwoofer later is far more important than having an equalizer.

The ability to add a subwoofer later is far more important than having an equalizer.

This is what I am thinking.
Saving 150$ is good tho but for the future ill be out a upgrade path.

Is there no other viable options besides edifer/audioengine?

If I could find matching audio quality of the edifer 2000 pro and have the subout option the audioengine a5+ have then I might go with it if its cheaper.

The sub/bass thing is such a personal thing in my opinion. But if that's an itch you think you're gonna want to scratch in time, as @HiFi Guy said, that option should be on the check list.

The sub/bass thing is such a personal thing in my opinion. But if that's an itch you think you're gonna want to scratch in time, as @HiFi Guy said, that option should be on the check list.

I found the AudioEngines for alot cheaper so I think I might just go with them.
Although t he product you linked me was very good. You have opened my eyes to that brand ;) I am grateful for your help anthony.

Any opinion on some really good RCAs/Ground wire ? (good but cheap)

I found the AudioEngines for alot cheaper so I think I might just go with them.
Although t he product you linked me was very good. You have opened my eyes to that brand ;) I am grateful for your help anthony.

Any opinion on some really good RCAs/Ground wire ? (good but cheap)
Good and cheap.........that's so bad to put together ;)
..........but, I used/have these Mediabridge cables that worked just fine for next to nothing.

I had a pair of A2’s for my office for a long time. Loved ‘em. I gave them to my niece when I needed something bigger. She loves them. My brother-in-law also has the A5+’s and HD6’s and loves them. So, as far as AudioEngine is concerned, IMHO, they are very solid speakers.

If you want powered and something a bit more substantial at reasonable prices, I’d look at the JBL LSR line, Dynaudion BM or LYD (you may need to look at used for these), or Adam Audio T7V’s. All are very good and many smaller record producers use them. Though the volume is on the back and you may need adapter cables from your phono-pre (easy enough to find online).

If you already bought the A5+’s, don’t fret. They’re darn good.

I had a pair of A2’s for my office for a long time. Loved ‘em. I gave them to my niece when I needed something bigger. She loves them. My brother-in-law also has the A5+’s and HD6’s and loves them. So, as far as AudioEngine is concerned, IMHO, they are very solid speakers.

If you want powered and something a bit more substantial at reasonable prices, I’d look at the JBL LSR line, Dynaudion BM or LYD (you may need to look at used for these), or Adam Audio T7V’s. All are very good and many smaller record producers use them. Though the volume is on the back and you may need adapter cables from your phono-pre (easy enough to find online).

If you already bought the A5+’s, don’t fret. They’re darn good.

Everything you mentioned is like 500$ more here in AUS lol but i wish i could get them haha

Wasn't sure if I should put this in the Klipsch owners thread or hear, but since I'm technically asking for a recommendation I feel safe here...

I am thinking forward to my next speaker upgrade and have my eyes on either Klipsch Cornwall iii's or Forte iii's - I am also peripherally interested in JBL L100 Classics so if anyone wants to talk those up, I'm listening. I've had Klipsch before but the more entry level Reference Premier floorstanders. Either way, I like the so-called "Klipsch sound".

I am wondering if anyone has thoughts on the sound between the two. The price difference isn't so great so that's not a factor. As well, I know the specs (sensitivity, frequency response, footprint, etc.); so what I am really asking about are the differences that cannot be summed up in the black-and-white of specs on a sheet. I plan on live-testing any speaker I buy - either here in Vegas or going to CA - but for now I'd like to begin getting others' impressions and what to listen for.

Currently, I am using a pair of MartinLogan Motion 40s with an SVS SB-2000 subwoofer (12"). My room is rather large - ~15' ceilings and it's an open desert-style build so it flows openly into the other first floor rooms. Currently carpeted but I will be replacing with hard wood in the next year or so.

Specific questions I have, if you have an answer/opinion:

- Will either or both of these speakers make my SVS sub obsolete? On paper, even the 2 Forte's have a 12" sub each and then 15's on the Cornwall's. Would another external sub be overkill? Or is there an upside of having another sub that I can dial in? I don't mind getting rid of the sub if it becomes redundant/unnecessary.

- What about positioning from the wall? I've heard that the Forte's operate really well close to the wall (one reviewer on Crutchfield said 6") and I'm not sure if the same is true for the Cornwall's (a contributor on a Klipsch forum commented they need some more breathing room). I currently keep the MartinLogan's only about a foot from the wall, toed-in. While the room is large and the wife and I made a drug deal that I get to use it as a music room (she got the downstairs bedroom as an art room/office) as I please, I have 3 dogs (2 who are large) and they run around like hell hounds wrestling, humping, drooling, and generally giving exactly zero fucks about my stereo equipment. So, I tried to keep speakers out of the center of the room (aka their arena). Any inputs on that end would be appreciated.

Also, I play my music anywhere from a whisper to blaring. I predominantly play vinyl but I still have a couple hundred CDs I rock through a transport and sometimes will Bluetooth in. As well, I listen to most everything - pop, metal, jazz, hip-hop, Prince (yes, that's a genre), etc.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Ull have to wait for someone more knowledgeable on hardware cause im a newb at audio hardware lol

But I got my audio engine a5s today.. very happy.

Solid build.
Nice weight to em.
Seems high quality.
Audio is great much better then the tiny speakers I used before.

But I am still very keen to get the subwoofer. I need the air knocked out of my lungs.

Wasn't sure if I should put this in the Klipsch owners thread or hear, but since I'm technically asking for a recommendation I feel safe here...

I am thinking forward to my next speaker upgrade and have my eyes on either Klipsch Cornwall iii's or Forte iii's - I am also peripherally interested in JBL L100 Classics so if anyone wants to talk those up, I'm listening. I've had Klipsch before but the more entry level Reference Premier floorstanders. Either way, I like the so-called "Klipsch sound".

I am wondering if anyone has thoughts on the sound between the two. The price difference isn't so great so that's not a factor. As well, I know the specs (sensitivity, frequency response, footprint, etc.); so what I am really asking about are the differences that cannot be summed up in the black-and-white of specs on a sheet. I plan on live-testing any speaker I buy - either here in Vegas or going to CA - but for now I'd like to begin getting others' impressions and what to listen for.

Currently, I am using a pair of MartinLogan Motion 40s with an SVS SB-2000 subwoofer (12"). My room is rather large - ~15' ceilings and it's an open desert-style build so it flows openly into the other first floor rooms. Currently carpeted but I will be replacing with hard wood in the next year or so.

Specific questions I have, if you have an answer/opinion:

- Will either or both of these speakers make my SVS sub obsolete? On paper, even the 2 Forte's have a 12" sub each and then 15's on the Cornwall's. Would another external sub be overkill? Or is there an upside of having another sub that I can dial in? I don't mind getting rid of the sub if it becomes redundant/unnecessary.

- What about positioning from the wall? I've heard that the Forte's operate really well close to the wall (one reviewer on Crutchfield said 6") and I'm not sure if the same is true for the Cornwall's (a contributor on a Klipsch forum commented they need some more breathing room). I currently keep the MartinLogan's only about a foot from the wall, toed-in. While the room is large and the wife and I made a drug deal that I get to use it as a music room (she got the downstairs bedroom as an art room/office) as I please, I have 3 dogs (2 who are large) and they run around like hell hounds wrestling, humping, drooling, and generally giving exactly zero fucks about my stereo equipment. So, I tried to keep speakers out of the center of the room (aka their arena). Any inputs on that end would be appreciated.

Also, I play my music anywhere from a whisper to blaring. I predominantly play vinyl but I still have a couple hundred CDs I rock through a transport and sometimes will Bluetooth in. As well, I listen to most everything - pop, metal, jazz, hip-hop, Prince (yes, that's a genre), etc.

Cheers!

Cornwalls are named because they can be used in corners or near walls. So even though that 6" recommendation from an owner looks suspicious, they should work.

I would think either would be fine without a sub, but especially the Cornwalls.

Never have enough bass even my newb hardware ass knows this lol
Unless your listening to alot of rock or something I guess bass is kinda an afterthought in some genres

Back