Recapping Speakers

Hemotep

Inside a Curious Yellow with the Game Cat
Curious to hear about users experiences doing this. Is it something you've done yourself? How challenging is it? Do you recommend doing it? Etc.

I happened to win a local auction at an estate sale this morning for a pair of Realistic Optimus-21s that look practically new (and I won them for $2.68). I figured it couldn't hurt to play around with them and if I mess it up then no harm done, but I don't exactly know what I'm doing either.

You can check them out in the Radio Shack catalog from 1978: 1978 Radio Shack Catalog

In today's dollars these were about $1500 a pair. Doubt they compare to anything close to that level today, but the few comments I've found online about these speakers (which were only available in 78 and 79) are really quite positive. I like the look, so if they sound good and I don't f' them up, they might be put to use for a while.

Last edited:
Curious to hear about users experiences doing this. Is it something you've done yourself? How challenging is it? Do you recommend doing it? Etc.

I happened to win a local auction at an estate sale this morning for a pair of Realistic Optimus-21s that look practically new (and I won them for $2.68). I figured it couldn't hurt to play around with them and if I mess it up then no harm done, but I don't exactly know what I'm doing either.

You can check them out in the Radio Shack catalog from 1978: 1978 Radio Shack Catalog

In today's dollars these were about $1500 a pair. Doubt they compare to anything close to that level today, but the few comments I've found online about these speakers (which were only available in 78 and 79) are really quite positive. I like the look, so if they sound good and I don't f' them up, they might be put to use for a while.
I’m lucky that there are a few aftermarket options for rebuilding/replacing Klipsch Heritage crossovers; not sure if there’s any similar option for these speakers. Otherwise, I don’t see any issue with doing the recap yourself if you do your homework ahead of time.

If you aren’t confident about your DIY skills, the Speaker Exchange in Tampa has a good reputation. Good prices from what I hear too.

Thanks! I think I'm usually pretty good at figuring this stuff out, just never done it before. I couldn't tell how involved a process it was from the couple sets of instructions I read. But I've watched a couple YouTube videos of it and think I could probably do it. I'd like to learn either which way.

Back