Rank the Movies

neuorder

Similar to the Rank the Albums thread, but for a director's oevre, movies in a series or trilogy, etc.

I'll start with one of my favourites, Wes Anderson:

1. Royal Tenenbaums
2. Rushmore
3. Grand Budapest Hotel
4. Moonrise Kingdom
5. Fantastic Mr. Fox
6. Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou
7. Darjeeling Limited
8. Isle of Dogs
9. Bottle Rocket

Can't wait to see French Dispatch to see where it ends up.

Star Wars
1. V
2. IV
3. VIII
4. VII
5. VI
6. III
7. IX
8. I
9. II

If Rogue One Counts, I'd throw it in between 4 and 5 (VII and VI).

Ok, here's my QT as a director rankings. I think the top three are all excellent. Second tier I really like but don't love. Third tier, I just don't have that usual desire to watch again. (I need to watch Hollywood again, I really liked it on my first viewing.)

Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill (both)
Reservoir Dogs

Jackie Brown
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Inglorious Basterds
Django

Hateful Eight
Grindhouse

PTA:

1. Punch-Drunk Love
2. There Will Be Blood
3. Licorice Pizza
4. Magnolia
5. The Master
6. Phantom Thread
7. Inherent Vice
8. Boogie Nights
9. Hard Eight

LP might slide around on the list, but I think that's where it's sitting for me; this may be less due to the profundity of the movie or its craft and more due to charm and the fact that already see myself rewatching it a lot more than, say, Phantom Thread. It's such a hang, a great vibe. IV is one I want to like so badly, but it's just too shaggy and complicated-yet-formless. Phantom Thread might slide around after another rewatch, I'm not sure; feels weird to have it so far down the list, but that's just how much I love the movies above it.

PTA:

1. Punch-Drunk Love
2. There Will Be Blood
3. Licorice Pizza
4. Magnolia
5. The Master
6. Phantom Thread
7. Inherent Vice
8. Boogie Nights
9. Hard Eight

LP might slide around on the list, but I think that's where it's sitting for me; this may be less due to the profundity of the movie or its craft and more due to charm and the fact that already see myself rewatching it a lot more than, say, Phantom Thread. It's such a hang, a great vibe. IV is one I want to like so badly, but it's just too shaggy and complicated-yet-formless. Phantom Thread might slide around after another rewatch, I'm not sure; feels weird to have it so far down the list, but that's just how much I love the movies above it.
I've not seen Hard Eight or Licorice Pizza (yet), and it's been far too long since I've seen a couple of his to fairly rank them, but I just want to say I 100% agree with PDL and TWBB as the top two. (I think I also liked Phantom Thread more than most people, but it's definitely not a movie I would recommend to everyone.)

Star Wars

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. Star Wars
3. Return Of The Jedi
4. The Last Jedi
5. The Force Awakens
6. Revenge Of The Sith
7. The Phantom Menace
8. Attack Of The Clones
9. The Rise Of Skywalker

The Rise of Skywalker might well be one of the worst films of any genre or series that I’ve seen.

Star Wars

2. Star Wars
3. Return Of The Jedi
4. The Last Jedi
5. The Force Awakens
6. Revenge Of The Sith
7. The Phantom Menace
8. Attack Of The Clones
9. The Rise Of Skywalker

The Rise of Skywalker might well be one of the worst films of any genre or series that I’ve seen.
I see you do not have the prequel nostalgia that I do 😊

I see you do not have the prequel nostalgia that I do 😊

No I might not be old enough to remember the originals coming out but they’re my nostalgia! I had Star Wars, and eventually Empire and Jedi, on VHS as a kid so that’s where my nostalgia comes from. I didn’t think Revenge was bad and enjoy bits of Phantom (plus no Hayden is always positive) but man Attack of the Clones is so painful, really really painful, to put Skywalker below it shows just how much of a mess I think that film was.

Star Wars

2. Star Wars
3. Return Of The Jedi
4. The Last Jedi
5. The Force Awakens
6. Revenge Of The Sith
7. The Phantom Menace
8. Attack Of The Clones
9. The Rise Of Skywalker

988E4462-2F05-47FF-A1F2-6CB6680AC7A7.gif

Star Wars

2. Star Wars
3. Return Of The Jedi
4. The Last Jedi
5. The Force Awakens
6. Revenge Of The Sith
7. The Phantom Menace
8. Attack Of The Clones
9. The Rise Of Skywalker

I’d slide TLJ up to 2nd but this is otherwise my exact order.

TRoS was so bad it actually killed my interest in the franchise. Between that and Star Trek Into Darkness, I may never watch another JJ movie.

MCU

Black Panther
Spider-Man: No Way Home
Thor: Ragnarok
The Avengers
Guardians of the Galaxy
Captain America: Civil War
Iron Man 3
Captain America: The First Avenger
Avengers: Endgame
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Avengers: Infinity War
Captain America: Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Iron Man
Captain Marvel
Spider-Man: Far From Home
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
Ant-Man
Black Widow
Ant-Man and The Wasp
The Incredible Hulk
Doctor Strange
Eternals
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Iron Man 2
Thor
Thor: Dark World

Last edited:
Star Wars

2. Star Wars
3. Return Of The Jedi
4. The Last Jedi
5. The Force Awakens
6. Revenge Of The Sith
7. The Phantom Menace
8. Attack Of The Clones
9. The Rise Of Skywalker

2. Star Wars
(2.5. Rogue One)
3. The Last Jedi
4. Return Of The Jedi
5. The Force Awakens
6. Revenge Of The Sith
7. Attack Of The Clones
8. The Phantom Menace
9. The Rise Of Skywalker

Who wants to rank Batmen with me?

Theatrical releases only:
  1. The Batman
  2. Batman Returns
  3. Batman (1989)
  4. The Dark Knight
  5. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
  6. Batman Begins
  7. Batman & Robin
  8. Batman (1966)
  9. The LEGO Batman Movie
  10. Batman Forever
  11. The Dark Knight Rises

Alien

1. Alien
2. Alien 3
3. Aliens
4. Alien Resurection
Having just rewatched these first four... I agree with this. Aliens is a fun action movie but I don't feel like James Cameron really got the point of the original. Even with its flaws, Alien³ feels more in line with what I loved about Alien and brings the focus back to the inhumanity of corporations and the Xenomorph as a creature of personal violation (rather than a drone serving a queen). Plus even though he's disowned it I still think Fincher directed the shit out of it.

Edit: Should add the only version I've seen is the Assembly Cut. Can't speak for how good or bad the theatrical cut is

Last edited:
Back