Rank The Albums!

Vampire Weekend
  1. Modern Vampires of the City
  2. Vampire Weekend
  3. Contra
  4. Only God Was Above Us
  5. Father of the Bride

Father of the Bride is actually a good album. Individual songs are great! But the whole thing doesn't flow well, feels a little too bloated at times. I don't think I'd cut any songs because most are very good, it's just missing some cohesiveness that others have.
I feel like VW were better with Rostam. Their last couple albums were still very good but he’s the missing piece on these last few albums.

Vampire Weekend
  2. Vampire Weekend
  3. Contra
  4. Only God Was Above Us
  5. Father of the Bride

Father of the Bride is actually a good album. Individual songs are great! But the whole thing doesn't flow well, feels a little too bloated at times. I don't think I'd cut any songs because most are very good, it's just missing some cohesiveness that others have.
I feel like VW were better with Rostam. Their last couple albums were still very good but he’s the missing piece on these last few albums.

Could be a recency bias (I am not immune ) or maybe I'm trying to justify the fact that I somehow ended up purchasing two copies of the new album (Pifsgiving!!) but - I'm into the new album.

MVOTC pushes the Rostam production/sound but I hear it as such a dour/rainy day album -where as VW comes across as joyus. After listening to the new one 5+ times, I hear it as taking the best parts of the S/T and MVOTC and mashing them together.

Standouts so far are the horns on Classical, the guitar sound on Gen-X cops and the production on Mary Boone and Connect. I'd probably rank the albums today as:
  1. Vampire Weekend
  2. Only God Was Above Us
  3. Modern Vampires of the City
  4. Contra
  5. Father of the Bride

FotB and OGWAB are so expansive and different from the Rostam work, I have trouble thinking if they're "better" or not. Everything they've done since has (intentionally) been in such a different direction, I find them difficult to compare. Also I just love all their records. My ranking would change by the day.

FotB and OGWAB are so expansive and different from the Rostam work, I have trouble thinking if they're "better" or not. Everything they've done since has (intentionally) been in such a different direction, I find them difficult to compare. Also I just love all their records. My ranking would change by the day.
I prefer the more expansive direction. It just feels appropriate and refreshing.

This is how I feel about them, too. Their spacing of album releases ends up tying each record to a different phase in my life. I probably play FotB the most because it’s a really fun one, and because I took my kids to their first ever concert at Merriweather Post Pavilian on that tour and it was a really special experience.

Could be a recency bias (I am not immune ) or maybe I'm trying to justify the fact that I somehow ended up purchasing two copies of the new album (Pifsgiving!!) but - I'm into the new album.

MVOTC pushes the Rostam production/sound but I hear it as such a dour/rainy day album -where as VW comes across as joyus. After listening to the new one 5+ times, I hear it as taking the best parts of the S/T and MVOTC and mashing them together.

Standouts so far are the horns on Classical, the guitar sound on Gen-X cops and the production on Mary Boone and Connect. I'd probably rank the albums today as:
  1. Vampire Weekend
  2. Only God Was Above Us
  3. Modern Vampires of the City
  4. Contra
  5. Father of the Bride

It could be because the album artwork makes us think MVOTC is a darker album, and it definitely is compared to the first two. It's much more mature and less sunny and fun. FOTB was a brighter and lighter album, totally different but still a VW album. OGWAU feels like post-Rostam VW trying to capture some of that earlier sound that they had. It's clearly post-Rostam because it shares a lot of the musical experimentations that FOTB has but to me it's got a lot of similarities to MVOTC. The piano in "Capricorn", "Hope", the drumming in "Connect", "Gen-X Cops" feel like something you'd find on the first 3 albums.

What I feel right now with Vampire Weekend, but I love all their albums…

2. Father of the Bride (I love this album more than most people)
3. Only God Was Above Us
4. Contra
5. Vampire Weekend

Waxahatchee

1. Saint Cloud
2. Out In The Storm
3. Tigers Blood
4. American Weekend
5. I Walked With You A Ways
6. Ivy Tripp
7. Cerulean Salt

It could be because the album artwork makes us think MVOTC is a darker album, and it definitely is compared to the first two. It's much more mature and less sunny and fun. FOTB was a brighter and lighter album, totally different but still a VW album. OGWAU feels like post-Rostam VW trying to capture some of that earlier sound that they had. It's clearly post-Rostam because it shares a lot of the musical experimentations that FOTB has but to me it's got a lot of similarities to MVOTC. The piano in "Capricorn", "Hope", the drumming in "Connect", "Gen-X Cops" feel like something you'd find on the first 3 albums.
OGWAU is an amalgamation of their storied career and past experiences! It's the best of every album wrapped into one!

Waxahatchee

1. Saint Cloud
2. Out In The Storm
3. Tigers Blood
4. American Weekend
5. I Walked With You A Ways
6. Ivy Tripp
7. Cerulean Salt

Dude, Ivy Tripp is waaay too low.

01. Ivy Tripp
02. Saint Cloud
03. Tigers Blood
04. Cerulean Salt
05, American Weekend
06. Out On The Storm

I love all her albums and Tigers Blood might end up being her best but right now Ivy Tripp is still the one to beat.

Dude, Ivy Tripp is waaay too low.

01. Ivy Tripp
02. Saint Cloud
03. Tigers Blood
04. Cerulean Salt
05, American Weekend
06. Out On The Storm

I love all her albums and Tigers Blood might end up being her best but right now Ivy Tripp is still the one to beat.
I like Ivy Tripp still. Probably need to give it a fresh listen though

Sea Change
Guero
Odelay
Morning Phase
Modern Guilt
Mutations
Midnite Vultures
The Information
Hyperspace
Mellow Gold
Colors

Missing some early albums that i'm not so fond of but I never listen to them so didn't rank them.
One Foot In the Grave is pretty essential IMHO and better than at least the last 4 on this list I would put it ahead of Modern Guilt and Morning Phase too

One Foot In the Grave is pretty essential IMHO and better than at least the last 4 on this list I would put it ahead of Modern Guilt and Morning Phase too
I'm not sure why I couldn't really get into it. I do see the makings of what drives his later albums in it but to me, it sounds kinda like an unrefined Beck sound. That's just my personal taste though. He's prolific AF and there are plenty of his other albums that I enjoy.

Sea Change
Guero
Odelay
Morning Phase
Modern Guilt
Mutations
Midnite Vultures
The Information
Hyperspace
Mellow Gold
Colors

Missing some early albums that i'm not so fond of but I never listen to them so didn't rank them.

I could have sworn I ranked Beck before here but it might have been at the old place pre-2019. Just going off memory, and I have not listened to his most recent one, Hyperspace.
  1. Sea Change
  2. Odelay
  3. Mutations
  4. Midnite Vultures
  5. Morning Phase
  6. Guero
  7. The Information
  8. Modern Guilt
  9. One Foot in the Grave
  10. Stereopathetic Soulmanure
  11. Mellow Gold
  12. Banjo Story
  13. Golden Feelings
  14. Colors

I don’t understand how recycling actual notes from previous albums is celebrated? I’ve listened to Only God Was Above Us several times now and there are some really good tracks that come towards the back end, but right now it’s my least favorite album from them. I’m not even sure I want to buy it. Maybe this is Ezra’s way of closing the book on that sound?

Also Father Of The Bride is a fantastic album and I’d love to see more of that from them.

Back