Random Thoughts Re: Forum = Republic

In all seriousness though, we all agreed upon these persons with whom we thought were well-regarded and would perform the moderating duties with neutrality. Damn fine group of people if you ask me.

No it absolutely and it isn’t a slight on any of them and agree with you entirely, they are all good choices taken in isolation.

The whole reason I sort of started this thread (other than having had enough beer to be overthinking and posting but not enough to be pissed and incoherent) was as a conversation and debate starter and to throw out opinions and observations. I have no illusions as to anyone agreeing with anyone or picking up on any of them.

No it absolutely and it isn’t a slight on any of them and agree with you entirely, they are all good choices taken in isolation.

The whole reason I sort of started this thread (other than having had enough beer to be overthinking and posting but not enough to be pissed and incoherent) was as a conversation and debate starter and to throw out opinions and observations. I have no illusions as to anyone agreeing with anyone or picking up on any of them.
At this point our primary motivation was to get some help fairly quickly, so we asked a few active members from both forums who are generally respected and even-tempered, that all of us agreed on, and some of them accepted. I think we're definitely open to suggestions for choosing future mods, because it isn't easy. We've seen in some of the threads that lots of people with wildly disparate opinions think that they speak for the whole forum.
Psssst, you'd be a great Mod
If I didn't suggest him previously, I meant to. ;)

At this point our primary motivation was to get some help fairly quickly, so we asked a few active members from both forums who are generally respected and even-tempered, that all of us agreed on, and some of them accepted. I think we're definitely open to suggestions for choosing future mods, because it isn't easy. We've seen in some of the threads that lots of people with wildly disparate opinions think that they speak for the whole forum.

If I didn't suggest him previously, I meant to. ;)

Yeah and a bit of that last thing was a part of my point. I think given the way this started a lot of people feel they have more of an investment or “ownership” in here than perhaps they did before. There is a definite question as to whether or not they do but that perception clearly exists. There is probably also a bit of a truth in the idea that all of them and yet also none of them actually speak for forum. With such divergent views at play I suppose it’s not a bad idea to have a divergence of views in running and moderating the forum to reflect this. None of this is to throw shade on any of the staff or the mods, I like and respect pretty much all of them, particularly those I have regular contact with, it was just a point I felt the need to make!

Yeah and a bit of that last thing was a part of my point. I think given the way this started a lot of people feel they have more of an investment or “ownership” in here than perhaps they did before. There is a definite question as to whether or not they do but that perception clearly exists. There is probably also a bit of a truth in the idea that all of them and yet also none of them actually speak for forum. With such divergent views at play I suppose it’s not a bad idea to have a divergence of views in running and moderating the forum to reflect this. None of this is to throw shade on any of the staff or the mods, I like and respect pretty much all of them, particularly those I have regular contact with, it was just a point I felt the need to make!
My only issue here is the implication that the existing Admins are of one mind, hahaha. Very far from the truth!

secret secret
giphy.gif

I look forward to the page devoted to all the times I turn forum talk into a broader critique of policing and the state.

I hope there is plenty of debate about the difference between offensive and someone being offended. That’s something that really grinds my gears!

Back