Random Thoughts Re: Forum = Republic

I can't believe you all didn't ask me to be a mod.
Please read the following very long-winded rant about how your interpretation of my temperament is completely inaccurate and that picking favorites is against the spirit of this here community. I can't hit the report button fast enough.

Note: Everyone is banned..... BANNED! 😏

I totally think you are worthy...

AB1F125F-17EC-4AD3-8001-95047DD7C6AE.jpeg

this isn't a concern for me in the slightest. the folks in mod/admin roles are fair, approachable, and longstanding members of the community this was before it was. i've personally had almost all of them talk through some bs that happened in The Before, and even when we've had disagreements (where settling is not my strong suit tbh), they've put on the parent hats and dealt with it like adults.

most importantly, they are regular members of the community. they're not power hungry, gaining money to do this (arguably lousy most of the time tbh) job, or making decisions alienating a substantial part of the community. when it's time for someone to step down, or if it gains momentum to the point of needing additional people added to the roster, i'm sure there will be a fair vote of active members.

I’m posting this here because it has an overall theme of transparency and Forum Hierarchy is discussed.

I mentioned yesterday how i was unimpressed a forum member was banned.
No one rose to the occasion and offered any information.
It appears if something occurs the mods decide is really negative and ban or suspension worthy.
It is deleted and unspoken of - Its a lot Fascist !

Ok the mods aren’t Facists but you get my point.

My feeling is this forum is a gathering of “friends” from that old forum and new friends are welcome.

This sort of thing happened occasionally on the VMP forum and it shouldn’t happen here. I don’t think a few should have the power to “ban” anyone without very good reason and some openness.

Who else has been banned i don’t know about ? I was lucky to spot @highrantdistricts (yeah that won’t link to him anymore as he has been made “invisible”

I don’t like this attitude of “do not speak of these things for fear of upsetting someone”
It’s underhand control. Passive aggressive etc etc.

This might not happen a lot - this might be the only time - I’ve no idea “the system” works against me finding out. 🙄

I’m posting this here because it has an overall theme of transparency and Forum Hierarchy is discussed.

I mentioned yesterday how i was unimpressed a forum member was banned.
No one rose to the occasion and offered any information.
It appears if something occurs the mods decide is really negative and ban or suspension worthy.
It is deleted and unspoken of - Its a lot Fascist !

Ok the mods aren’t Facists but you get my point.

My feeling is this forum is a gathering of “friends” from that old forum and new friends are welcome.

This sort of thing happened occasionally on the VMP forum and it shouldn’t happen here. I don’t think a few should have the power to “ban” anyone without very good reason and some openness.

Who else has been banned i don’t know about ? I was lucky to spot @highrantdistricts (yeah that won’t link to him anymore as he has been made “invisible”

I don’t like this attitude of “do not speak of these things for fear of upsetting someone”
It’s underhand control. Passive aggressive etc etc.

This might not happen a lot - this might be the only time - I’ve no idea “the system” works against me finding out. 🙄
I get what you’re saying, but having owned and admin’d a forum for years I actually do not agree with you. The mods and admins do not owe a public explanation for bans and infractions. In fact, that opens things up to unintended shenanigans and consequences. I heavily hope that the route you’re suggesting is NOT taken.

Respectfully

I get what you’re saying, but having owned and admin’d a forum for years I actually do not agree with you. The mods and admins do not owe a public explanation for bans and infractions. In fact, that opens things up to unintended shenanigans and consequences. I heavily hope that the route you’re suggesting is NOT taken.

Respectfully

Ive not Owned or admin’d a forum so perhaps there are good reasons as u suggest for not explaining.

Perhaps then if a serious infraction occurs don’t delete the user and the offending posts. I wouldn’t then need an explanation I could easily see for myself why a member has been removed.
This current method just makes a member “disappear”.

Ive not Owned or admin’d a forum so perhaps there are good reasons as u suggest for not explaining.

Perhaps then if a serious infraction occurs don’t delete the user and the offending posts. I wouldn’t then need an explanation I could easily see for myself why a member has been removed.
This current method just makes a member “disappear”.
This point I actually agree with. I've been an Admin for a psuedo-private board since 2008. Its co-owned and admin'd by 10 of my closest friends. As a group, we decided to let offending posts stand to do exactly as you suggested, give the community a guideline as to what is acceptable and not acceptable. There were a few instances where the post had to be removed, but by and large we took a "don't delete, don't edit" approach to most things. However, that was only our community and is generally not a view shared wide on message boards and such.

The issue with opening moderation and infraction reasoning up in the wider forums is that you then have a pages and pages of people armchair-quarterbacking the decision made and the route taken, which is, by and large not helpful in the slightest. Its already hard enough to get 11 people to agree on a specific course of action, unless the offense is blatant, but having 5k other members weigh in is a level of chicanery I don't wish on anyone.

The Mods and Admins here do a fine job. And it is mostly a thankless job. I hope they continue to do what they do. <3

Back