Products we love (or at least, don't fit anywhere else).

Ed Selley

We had one of these in the last place and it was handy as a sort of placeholder for things that weren't necessarily direct recommendations but still tickled our fancy. I've recreated it because it's better than dropping wholly random things into the Equipment Recommendations thread. And this one is a bit random. Good random though.

When I say the words 'active speaker', the thing that springs to mind is something like this;

1579727924757.png

or this;

1579728025041.png

Over time, the concept of an active speaker has come to be seen as a self-contained device with power (and sometimes processing on board). In actuality, an active speaker is simply one that has a powered crossover in front of the amplification rather than behind it- so the signal goes preamp, crossover, then amplification and onto the drivers (it also means a speaker with the amp in the cabinet but a conventional crossover is powered rather than active but I digress). Often this is all in the speaker cabinet... but it doesn't have to be.

This is a Kudos Titan 505
titan 505.jpeg

In the tradition of British audio, it is built by quiet, intense, clever people in a light industrial unit in the middle of nowhere. Apropos of nothing, it is one of my very favourite speakers you can buy at any price. If you look at the terminal panel though, you'll see something interesting;

1579729402143.png

As well as a standard pair of 4mm inputs acting on a conventional crossover, there's a set of additional connections that allow for the crossover to be bypassed and the drivers to be powered directly. This sounds like a recipe for drivers in space but there's a method in the madness. Enter Exposure;

preamp and crossover.jpeg

Another company in a big shed full of clever people, Exposure has been making amplifiers since the early 1980s. In this case, they have worked with Kudos to build something called the VXN. This is a crossover network for the Titan 505 that is housed in its own chassis with an external PSU. In the picture above, you see a VXN and PSU with an Exposure preamp. This works as normal but outputs a stereo signal to the VXN which sets to work.

1579729800937.png

That's a Titan crossover, only it's a Titan crossover that is quieter and more efficient than one in a speaker can ever be, made even quieter because this isn't in the same chassis;

1579729911611.png

As you can see, Exposure's answer to 'can a PSU have too many smoothing caps?' is 'not really.'

From the back of the VXN, you can then attach power amplifiers; one for each driver;

Exposure power amps.jpeg

As the Titan 505 is only a two way, this means that 'only' four 80 watt monoblock power amps are needed. Remember; this is the principle by which single chassis active speakers function too but here, each amp is physically isolated from the other and has its own PSU and mains supply. Each amp then outputs directly to the driver in question;

titan crossover.jpeg

And, once you have very carefully (and fuck me, do I mean carefully), wired it together, you have an active speaker system with a powered crossover acting on amplifiers coupled directly to the drivers, only not in the same cabinet.

The saner of you are looking at this and spotting one or two issues. The amplification for this system has seven boxes and six mains plugs. The wiring diagram is not the work of a moment either (and the total cost of the- not terribly high end- cables kindly loaned to harness it is over $700). It takes a key advantage of a normal active speaker- slimming down the box count- and completely demolishes it.

There are some advantages though. With the crossover not sapping amp power, the 80 watts of amp per channel goes a very long way and crosstalk and noise measurements are very, very low. The other thing is that while this one is an all Exposure system but it doesn't have to be. The only components from them that need to be there is the VXN and its power supply. Effectively, you can make the Titan active with any amplification- pre and power- that takes your fancy. What's more, if other speaker manufacturers add direct inputs (and a few are looking at it), Exposure can modify the VXN to be their crossover too.

Anyway, it's here for a bit and I thought you might find it interesting.

So does it sound good ?

It combines what is probably my favourite speaker in series production with an amplification system customised specifically to drive it, a tidy digital front end and a Rega Planar 10 (albeit one 'slumming it' with an MM cart to work into the preamp's phono stage). It's pretty much perfection.

Naim also offer a cross over for the Titan range too. Kudos are brilliant, so great choice.

I'm going to demo some Kudos speakers around March time at my local dealer, probably the X3 and Super 20a, but I will also likely grab a listen to the 505's. I've had a listen of the 808's and they are simply stunning, powered by Naim 300/500 range and my LP12; I've never heard bass depths like it.

MM doesn't have to be slumming it, if it's done right!

Some of you will know I’ve bought a few bits and pieces off a bespoke company in the uk, acoustand. They built me the isolation box for my tt, the isolation platforms for my amplifiers and I bought an upgrade sub platter from them, all great, well made, products.

It seems now that the guy behind it. Lee, has designed his own turntable.

It’s not cheap, £4700 to £7000 without a tonearm depending on options, but it’s one serious looking piece of kit. If I had the money I’d be very interested!

Another one for the roster. Have you ever asked yourself; "What would Batman's turntable look like?"

Well, thanks to Vertere, I suspect we don't have to wonder any more. Presenting the DG-1;

653505EA-26A9-4F8E-BA5F-D972880104C9.jpeg

This, at a mere £2,850, is the cheapest Vertere turntable (and given the company makes a £22,000 tonearm, I guess it is cheap in relative terms). It is the absolute condensation of everything that the company considers important in making a record player. The arm is a PCB sandwiched between two layers of composite that seeks to avoid resonance without recourse to damping because it has no tube and no wires. As Vertere has access to assistance from 'a successful Formula 1 team' the composites involved mean that the stiffness- traditionally the limiter to flat arms- is apparently not an issue. In Vertere tradition, the counterweight is below the bearing level and a second, smaller weight runs the length of the arm to better fine tune tracking weight. The deck itself is made from different thicknesses of acrylic with an alloy platter with integral PETG record mat. The motor is a 30v DC unit with on board speed control.

All of this is somewhat secondary to how it looks and feels which is quite unlike almost anything else I’ve ever tested. There is styling in evidence; I don’t think it ‘needs’ the cutouts in the side of the plinth and it certainly doesn’t need an LED in the clear Acrylic layer but almost everything else is there for a reason and the sense of purpose helps to create something that feels pretty special. Performance? It has less than an hour on it at the moment so too early to say very much with certainty but I think it’ll keep the Rega Planar 10 honest once I’ve beefed up the supplied cartridge.

Here's a new product designed to keep track of the hours on a cartridge stylus:

This is a potentially interesting bit of kit for a few people.

Are you at war with your room? Do you know that your system could sound much better it it wasn't in the space it is in? Well, you could move house but a cheaper option might be one of these;

IMG20200821164256.jpg

This is an Arcam SA30. The spec is fairly comprehensive; 120 watts, five analogue inputs (including an MM/MC phono that's a pretty decent listen, four digital inputs and the ability to work as a UPnP source and a Roon endpoint.

It also has Dirac. It comes supplied with a microphone, install Dirac on your computer and run the test patterns prompted by the software. What you get out the other end looks like this;

Kanta and SA30 bare result.jpg

That's a pair of Focal Kanta No1s in my- fairly benign- room measured against Dirac's notional ideal. Press the button, export the results to the Arcam and bosh;

Kanta and SA30 corrected result.jpg

In a room I've deliberately worked to ensure is a decent test space, it's not dramatic. If you've got suspended floor issues, nodes, and other nastiness though, the SA30 has a better chance than most of the competition to actually deal with it. You can change the plot curve it works to and switch it in and out too.

Finally, it's early days listening to the amp itself but I'm quite impressed. I wasn't completely convinced by the SA20 but this is a very encouraging listen so far.

Over time, the concept of an active speaker has come to be seen as a self-contained device with power (and sometimes processing on board). In actuality, an active speaker is simply one that has a powered crossover in front of the amplification rather than behind it- so the signal goes preamp, crossover, then amplification and onto the drivers (it also means a speaker with the amp in the cabinet but a conventional crossover is powered rather than active but I digress). Often this is all in the speaker cabinet... but it doesn't have to be.

This is a Kudos Titan 505

As my Christmas present to me, the active system is back (for review). Presenting active system 2 (electric boogaloo).

First up, more Titans. This time the 606 has turned up (yes, the 505 is still here because I am the luckiest bastard alive).

1605909045457.png

Now, the 606 behaves much like the 505 so we could have used the same Exposure set as last time... but where's the fun in that.

1605909157509.png

The crossover and PSU are the same as before (although this crossover is configured for the 606). They're now working with the 5010 preamp and four 5010 mono amps each delivering 200 watts. That's right; each driver gets it's own hernia inducing, 200 watt power amp.

This required the removal of not one but two turntables;

1605909346832.png

Six mains sockets just for amp stuff. Probably not ideal that my digital front end needs another three (playing a FLAC file in this current configuration needs twelve mains powered devices because reasons).

I mean... you'd barely know it was here...

1605909505449.png

Still, I can say with some assurance that, if I wasn't working as reviewer (and therefore need a system that isn't designed only to work together), this would be endgame. It's ridiculously good.

Back