Pre-Order Thread

How do people feel about new Billie Eilish?
No singles, no song titles. Said she wants to put it all out at once.

View attachment 199861
I like this approach. I've personally been going about listening to music this way anyways. Too many artists releasing half the album as singles, I just avoid them now and wait for the full thing. No shortage of stuff I haven't listened to yet, so I can wait, even with releases I'm highly anticipating - did this with MGMT, The Smile, and Vampire Weekend, and I think the experience was better for it.

I like this approach. I've personally been going about listening to music this way anyways. Too many artists releasing half the album as singles, I just avoid them now and wait for the full thing. No shortage of stuff I haven't listened to yet, so I can wait, even with releases I'm highly anticipating - did this with MGMT, The Smile, and Vampire Weekend, and I think the experience was better for it.
I’ve long done this for my faves.

I hate when artists release half of the album but unless it's one of my favorite artists I'm not buying something without hearing a song first. This sucks especially when the variants are limited

What will kill the multiple variants industry is someone like Billie Eilish or Taylor Swift taking a big, big, big stance and releasing only a black "eco-friendly"variant/recycled album and making it so others feel bad or guilty about releasing a bunch of different variants. I don't think anyone will seriously stop even if they think it's bad practice because multiple variants = more $$$$.

What will kill the multiple variants industry is someone like Billie Eilish or Taylor Swift taking a big, big, big stance and releasing only a black "eco-friendly"variant/recycled album and making it so others feel bad or guilty about releasing a bunch of different variants. I don't think anyone will seriously stop even if they think it's bad practice because multiple variants = more $$$$.

Does multiple colors really make a difference? Like were listening to music on vinyl. It's a drop in the bucket compared to pretty much anything else. If anything, quit using shrink wrap on it. Bam it's now more sustainable.

Equally (un)likely is that people stop buying more than one copy of an album, in which case variants would become irrelevant.

Does multiple colors really make a difference? Like were listening to music on vinyl. It's a drop in the bucket compared to pretty much anything else. If anything, quit using shrink wrap on it. Bam it's now more sustainable.

Equally (un)likely is that people stop buying more than one copy of an album, in which case variants would become irrelevant.
I agree that it's a drop in the bucket, but if it makes some money for the artist then they'll probably still do it. These variants do help with local retailers and/or other shops with exclusives. There's probably some deals/incentives in place for artists to have these different variants for the retailer to make a buck.

I was never a variant collector and in the most extreme cases I don't think it matters that much. Like, there might be 5000 variant collectors for Taylor Swift but nowhere close to that many for other artists. If a band I like has multiple variants I'll just buy whichever one looks coolest if there's no extras with each.

Completionists buy more, which in turns creates more demand for oil pellets, creating demand for more energy. It might not matter on a grand scale compared to what other corporations do, but still important to not dismiss.

Some are ditching shrink though. Isbell did it, Bleachers did it for their recent album.

Assai are a really nice local store with really friendly, if a little hipsterish, staff in both of the branches that I’ve been into…

The people may be fine, but their corporate policies not so much. Fine if they want to cancel my order because they don't ship to known forwarding addresses but charging me for them canceling my order, that is some garbage. Why not just ship to people who want buy the records as opposed to letting the scalpers win?

The people may be fine, but their corporate policies not so much. Fine if they want to cancel my order because they don't ship to known forwarding addresses but charging me for them canceling my order, that is some garbage. Why not just ship to people who want buy the records as opposed to letting the scalpers win?

It’s a pretty common policy. Mofi and AS for example have never shipped to my US forwarding service and their distribution outside the states was very spotty until very recently. I’m not sure that there would be any way they could know that you were using a forwarding address until you’d placed the order?

It’s a pretty common policy. Mofi and AS for example have never shipped to my US forwarding service and their distribution outside the states was very spotty until very recently. I’m not sure that there would be any way they could know that you were using a forwarding address until you’d placed the order?
I think @Twentytwo ’s big issue here was the fee for not sending him the record.

Back