Pre-Order Thread

Also for a band the size of REM doing a limited run of 1k was gonna be a shitshow no matter what. Just some bad planning there.
They should have just skipped the limited run in general. Have your limited merch bundles or whatever but stay away from limited vinyl runs especially since those have been incredibly rare for REM.

They should have just skipped the limited run in general. Have your limited merch bundles or whatever but stay away from limited vinyl runs especially since those have been incredibly rare for REM.
If I’m ever the Vinyl Czar, my first decree will be an indefinite moratorium on color pressings (I suspect I’d be somewhat unpopular).

I have no real problem with colour per se. My ban would be on “exclusive” or “limited” editions. Destroy false scarcity.
Fair, my main complaint about color pressings currently is that they slow down production and everything is so backed up now. I say let’s get back to black until the backlog isn’t so massive.

Also for a band the size of REM doing a limited run of 1k was gonna be a shitshow no matter what. Just some bad planning there.

This does bring back "fond" memories, though, of the last REM vinyl shitshow - the 2014 RSD Unplugged box set. Everyone knew it would be tough to acquire (only 2,500 pressed), and then the day comes & people start to find that there are maybe only 3 to 4 found in each city which still felt really low. Was it a pressing issue? A shipping issue? No, without telling anyone in advance, Bull Moose had not only set up an autograph session with the band at the Portland store, the store held back most of the box sets for themselves so there would be enough for said autograph session. No, that wasn't the band's fault, and someone quickly made sure there was another pressing later that year, though the 1991 and 2001 shows were sold individually instead of in a set.

In the grand scheme of things, getting black instead of marble doesn't really matter. That the band ('s manager) still hasn't assessed that they continue to have a rabid fanbase, many of whom also collect vinyl, is just disappointing. Nobody with the band or label, especially nobody at Craft who see the impact of vinyl sales every day, should have seen that 1k figure as anything other than a bad joke.

Found the track list, this looks really cool:

A Side
01. thank u, next - Vitamin String Quartet (Ariana Grande cover)
02. Girls Like You - Vitamin String Quartet (Maroon 5 cover)
03. In My Blood - Vitamin String Quartet (Shawn Mendes cover)
04. bad guy - Vitamin String Quartet (Billie Eilish cover)
05. Strange (feat. Hillary Smith) - Kris Bowers (Celeste cover)
06. Wildest Dreams – Duomo (Taylor Swift cover)

B side is original score.

I have no real problem with colour per se. My ban would be on “exclusive” or “limited” editions. Destroy false scarcity.

i dont actually have a problem with this.. in fact, it’s sort of the silver lining to buying vinyl in the 21st century (at least for me sometimes)

there’s not enough oil in the world to just keep massively producing vinyl records “unlimitedly”. indie/diy artists also dont need more than 1000 copies of their own records, but bc of larger quantity pressings for top 200 billboard artists, now they gotta wait over a year for indie record labels to press their abums.

hate (but also don’t hate) to say it, but limited pressings do more good than harm in the long term

honestly, my biggest grievance with vinyl records as a hobby rn is that this was never really meant to boom to an everyday-casual extreme. sorry for the bit of hipsterism there, but it’s true. we all enjoyed buying vinyl records ten years ago when it was still seen as a music nerd’s hobby, but now everyone and their mom wants to buy vinyl records, and supply just cant meet that crazy demand. maybe things will get better within the next years and vinyl will turn back the pendulum and be less popular, but idk doesnt seem that way to me

edit: also, i understand that some may not agree with this sentiment at all, and thats totally fine. obviously, everyone should be free and allowed to consume whatever they want in whichever format they want. but we have to admit that getting a new album on vinyl in 2021 has had more caveats in general than compared to CD or tape

They also have a rather fetching transparent orange pressing of Maybe I'll Catch Fire.

Dang I like that alt cover a bit more, but I'm happy with what I got

Also, new OST from Japanese Breakfast. Apr 2022 ship date but its here if you want it.

Dang I like that alt cover a bit more, but I'm happy with what I got

Also, new OST from Japanese Breakfast. Apr 2022 ship date but its here if you want it.

The single out today is fantastic. I wonder how many tracks will end up having a lyrical component.

Back