Pre-Order Thread

I tried to post this last night but for some reason I can’t post a link to Fatbeats on here but can’t seem to link it... Fatbeats as well as Amazon japan has Nujabes Collection volume 1 up for sale. amazon is a bit cheaper than fatbeats
Is that entire collection all Nujabes stuff? Looks like there were other artists on there...

As soon as I read this, I thought that if I were lucky enough to have a legacy and body of work, but also a reputation for creative integrity, like Prince or Cohen or Bowie, one of the first things I'd want added to my will is that no one should be permitted to take my unfinished works, abandoned projects, outtakes, or demos, and release them for profit (unless I had left clear instructions about a specific project). I know this particular release is being completed by Cohen's son, so maybe they had an understanding before he died, I don't know. But I find the posthumous release gravy train to be apocryphal additions to artist discographies, at best.

Bowie said it’s a nice way to know his family will be taken care of for a long time.

Is anyone else bothered that this is being released by some random label?
Damn, really?! Is Daptone involved at all?
I haven’t preordered yet cause of that for whatever reason. I can’t explain it.

He didn't record it with Daptone.

I actually wrote about this and looked into it myself, when it was first announced. It's a lengthy post, so I'll try to cut the main chunk out of it.

Posthumous recordings are a tricky thing, but Black Velvet was about as reverent of a process as I’ve ever seen employed. When I saw that Bradley had yet even more new recordings being release, however, I had mixed emotions. Part of me was excited to see another addition to his legacy, but who approved this thing, and why wasn’t it being handled by Dunham Sound or Daptone, like everything else he’d ever produced? Is Charles the new 2Pac? Can anyone say for sure that this is something that he would have wanted? Well, it turns out that this is a much more cut and dry situation than I would have imagined, wherein Charles made those wishes incredibly clear, before his death. This also addresses the question of whether or not he’s like the new Don Killuminati, with a resounding “kinda.” Not unlike Pac, he actually recorded this material with an urgency and full awareness that his time was limited. He also did so with the express purpose of having something on deck for the world after he was gone.

charles-at-treefort.jpg

Charles at Treefort Music Fest 2016

This brand new cut, “Lonely As You Are,” is as direct and heartfelt of a message that he’s ever delivered. One of the most remarkable aspects of Bradley‘s live shows was that it always felt as if he was trying to speak directly to you, rather than just belting out song lyrics. With “Lonely As You Are,” the same is true. He made this song as a message for all of his fans and, during one particular segment, he even ventures slightly of course to speak directly to his mother, asking one request. “One day when god says well done, please be at the gate waiting for me.” At the very end of the song, he concludes with, “I love you. And this is Charles Bradley. I hope this one day gets out to the world.

Bradley’s former co-manager and executive producer of the track, Morton Lorge, offers the following insight…

“Charles knew “Lonely as You Are” could comfort people and help them find a way to deal with their own loneliness. He was always looking for ways to make people feel better, even when he was confronting his own pain and suffering. He asked that “Lonely” be played at his funeral; he wanted to share it with the world.”
Lonely As You Are” was a recording that came about by chance when “NYC recording artist, songwriter and producerJames Levy showed the chorus and music to Bradley, while working on other projects. The story goes that Charles connected with it immediately and wrote the verses on the spot. After being weakened by months of chemotherapy, it’s to be expected that his mortality would be at the forefront of his mind, and it’s a subject that is definitely represented in the final product. According to the press release, the late soul singer sat in the booth of Levy‘s home studio in Queens with his eyes closed and listening to the track on loop until it all poured out. From there, multi-instrumentalist, Paul Defiglia, was recruited to co-produce, as well as to supply the bass, piano, and organ to the tune. Defiglia then brought in his former Avett Brothers bandmates, Seth Avett and Mike Marsh to handle acoustic guitar and drums, respectively. The session would also yield a second song titled, “Lucifer,” with the same lineup. Arriving courtesy of Innit Recordings, these songs are said to be the very last of Charles Bradley‘s studio work.

Last edited:
I believe either a boxset is coming or a nice remastered set of Ineffable Mysteries From Shpongleland.

I still haven’t grabbed the Nothing Lasts...But Nothing Is Lost set. $175 was just too much for me even though it looks to be of a mind-blowing quality. :::)

Yeah it was definitely insanely expensive. It’s definitely really nice though, it’s a well thought out set and they did a good job. That’s why I’m thinking about ineffable now, for some reason I thought it was in store for us this year.

*SHOEGAZE ALERT*

If anyone missed getting a copy of the Tokyo Shoegazer album Crystallized back this summer there is one for sale on Discogs at the normal store price in the USA from Redscroll.

I’m still waiting for mine to ship!

John Frusciante's Curtains is getting a reissue. All over this. Also, I don't remember if I saw this originally on Twitter or here, but alcohol, so here it is again.

This is great but we really need Shadows Collide!

As soon as I read this, I thought that if I were lucky enough to have a legacy and body of work, but also a reputation for creative integrity, like Prince or Cohen or Bowie, one of the first things I'd want added to my will is that no one should be permitted to take my unfinished works, abandoned projects, outtakes, or demos, and release them for profit (unless I had left clear instructions about a specific project). I know this particular release is being completed by Cohen's son, so maybe they had an understanding before he died, I don't know. But I find the posthumous release gravy train to be apocryphal additions to artist discographies, at best.
I agree with a lot of this. However, before he died, Mr. Cohen specifically charged his son (Adam) to finish out his “sketches” that never made it on to “You Want It Darker,” so I’m definitely not worried.

Also Sony still has a live album from his farewell tour they (still unexplainedly) yanked from vinyl a couple years back that I’m hoping shows up - even as a RSD/BF title - some day.

Back