Pre-Order Thread

Dr. Orlando Owoh/Dr. Orlando Owoh And His Young Kenneries Band (Zia@Custard Colored Vinyl@Limit To 100

Dr. Orlando Owoh

Dr. Orlando Owoh And His Young Kenneries Band (Zia​

Custard Colored Vinyl
Limit To 100

848064015499_packshot_1024x1024.jpg

Right after my non-colored pressing shipped today

848064015499_packshot_1024x1024.jpg

"He then pulled a Tom Scholz of Boston-style maneuver and recorded his own album, which he shopped to the major labels as a take-it-or-leave-it deal."

I have a lot of questions about this sentence.

Not a pre-order, as this is already shipping, but this one should be of interest and I have not yet seen it posted.

The WalkmenBows + Arrows 2xLP (includes 5 bonus tracks)
Thanks! Been on my wantlist for too long. Not terribly thrilled about the $50 price tag, but it's about half the cost of the secondary market, and appears to be the tour variant with 5 extra tracks. Favorable reviews on Discogs as well.

which part was confusing?
@Indymisanthrope @Melt Face Molly Drop from wiki:
Scholz's reputed perfectionism delayed the follow-up album, Don't Look Back, for two years. When it was finally released, he was unhappy with the result, claiming that it was released under pressure from the record company.[13] Scholz then declared he would not release any more music unless he was completely satisfied with the final product. Consequently, Boston's third album, Third Stage, did not appear until 1986. That album was certified 4× platinum, and "Amanda" reached the top of the singles chart.[14] Scholz and Brad Delp were the only members of the original group to appear on the album.
With the money he earned working with Amy Grant and Shania Twain, he bought a house in Green Hills, Tennessee, and in it built a home recording studio.[8][9][17] In 1998, it led to the release of his self-titled solo album distributed by Not Lame Recordings.[9] It was co-produced by Millard Powers[8] and Jeff Balding. Doug Morris of Universal Music Group picked it and proposed the album to be rerecorded,[8] but Owsley insisted that it simply needed to be remixed by either Tom Lord-Alge, Bob Clearmountain or Andy Wallace. Tom Lord-Alge signed on,[8] together with J.R. McNeely.[18] The eponymous album Owsley got re-released on March 23, 1999, under Giant Records.

I mean, the common story is that tom scholz recorded all of the boston debut album at his home studio (except the drums) and they just told the label it was being done at the LA studio the label wanted. so i'm reading the story as owlsley recorded everything himself and then shopped the record around. i suppose prince might also have been another comparison point.

Sentence does spin both stories a little different then the way they happened.
Right. Real Gone implies that Scholz left Boston to recorded a solo album not under the Boston name, and that this move was somehow notable enough to be referred to as a “Scholz of Boston-style maneuver” as shorthand for recording your solo album apart from your band, which is not what Scholz actually did (nor is his name shorthand for anything at all in my brain).

Also, isn’t every album shopped to a label as a take it or leave it deal? Genuine question, does this mean something other than what it appears to mean? I don’t get it.

Also, isn’t every album shopped to a label as a take it or leave it deal? Genuine question, does this mean something other than what it appears to mean? I don’t get it.
no, not at all. most times albums are not even recorded/completed until bands are signed; most bands complete a demo to get attention and showcase that they have talent and are worth investing in and then they're usually signed to a 1 to 3 album deal (or 1 with an option for more, or 5 albums or whatever,) and then the label fronts the band the cash to record the album. the band is then in debt to the label foreverrrrrrr unless they hit it big and recoup vested costs in them (which then gives them independence and power from the label).

Right. Real Gone implies that Scholz left Boston to recorded a solo album not under the Boston name, and that this move was somehow notable enough to be referred to as a “Scholz of Boston-style maneuver” as shorthand for recording your solo album apart from your band, which is not what Scholz actually did (nor is his name shorthand for anything at all in my brain).

doubtful... unless you got clout. also from Tom's wiki:
Eventually the demos attracted the interest of Epic Records, who signed Scholz and singer Brad Delp to a recording contract. Scholz believed his demos were good enough for release as Boston's debut album, but Epic told Scholz to re-record the demos. Most of the guitar, bass, and keyboards were performed by Scholz, although other players were involved sporadically throughout the recordings, most notably drummer Jim Masdea. Epic did not want the album recorded entirely in Scholz's home as Scholz had intended (the label suggested using a recording studio), but most of what ended up on the album had indeed been recorded by Scholz in his basement. While the album was being completed, Scholz and Delp added three additional local musicians to round out the band, who played little if anything on the record itself: bassist Fran Sheehan, guitarist Barry Goudreau and drummer Sib Hashian.
The first record basically was a solo album and the label said nah, add stuff. It sold well. Lots of nonsense with the second record.... boom "do what I say bitches"

I mean like that early Guns N Roses stuff doesn't sound like Appetite, because they didn't have the money to make it sound like that until they were signed.

Sentence does spin both stories a little different then the way they happened.
It’s a deep cut reference at best. Most folks don’t know Boston’s history let alone that Tom Scholz (who was not the lead singer) was the mastermind behind the band, which sorely underrates Brad Delp’s vocal contributions early on.

When I read it at first I was thinking they meant Scholz made a solo album apart from Boston, similar to Owsley breaking away from his prior engagements. Some might consider the later Boston albums to be Scholz solos, but regardless, as someone familiar with the background it felt like a reach in comparison.

It’s a deep cut reference at best. Most folks don’t know Boston’s history let alone that Tom Scholz (who was not the lead singer) was the mastermind behind the band, which sorely underrates Brad Delp’s vocal contributions early on.

When I read it at first I was thinking they meant Scholz made a solo album apart from Boston, similar to Owsley breaking away from his prior engagements. Some might consider the later Boston albums to be Scholz solos, but regardless, as someone familiar with the background it felt like a reach in comparison.
I just figured Storf wrote it.

Oh I see the misunderstanding. The popular mythos around Boston is that (at least the first album) was almost entirely a Tom Scholz solo affair, at least musically. He got a buddy to do the drums and he and Brad (vocals) did the rest of the album in his basement. "Scholtz (of the band Boston) recorded the Boston album solo, and Owlsley did the same thing, then shopped the record around as a take it or leave it affair" is how I read that sentence.

Back