Pre-Order Thread

I can't stand You Got Yr Cherry Bomb and The Underdog due to overplay in commercials and just a general doo-wop Billy Joel Elvis Costello kinda sound that I'm not a fan of. They've got some good tracks though and Britt Daniel has solid "indie rock" range as a vocalist, where you could play 2 Spoon songs back to back and they'd sound like 2 completely different bands.
Now I want a T-Bone Burnett produced Doo Wop album featuring Billy Joel and Elvis Costello.

Billy Joel??

I think it’s an An Innocent Man reference because doo-wop I guess. I dont know, I don’t hear any William Martin Joel but hey whatever. Billy Joel can write a hook so can Britt. There’s worse comps.
I can hear it in the song, and apparently those in the comments do as well.

I love a good Spoon discussion!

Ga Ga is my #1 and Gimmie Fiction is right behind is at #2. After that, its They want my soul at #3 and Hot Thoughts at #4 with Girls Can Tell rounding out the top 5.

Transference is my least favorite, but its not a bad album,. I think I was just disappointed with it after Ga Ga.
This is the moment that my kids are going to sleep, my daughter (9) is upset because she couldn't understand a math problem -- which is wonderful, and heart crushing all at the same time -- my day was insanely long... and now, now all of you leave me desperately wanting to crank through all that glorious Spoon.

#TeamNoBadSpoon

And does anyone else here buy a record because the want to play a record....but can't? 😂

(Bought)

I can hear it in the song, and apparently those in the comments do as well.

Hmm, I can maybe kinda hear it in the arrangement in that song but I would never compare their vocals or delivery. I like the Thin Lizzy comparison better that another commenter made even if it doesn't really fit either.

Who woulda thought that after the great U2 debate on this thread a while back the next band to get this much reaction would be Spoon.

My hot take to keep this going: Spoon > U2.

****Ducks and runs****
U2's output from War to Achtung Baby is one of the strongest runs in music, therefore that era of U2 >>> Spoon.

U2's output from How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb until now is complete garbage (except much of No Line On the Horizon), so that era of U2 <<<<<<<<< Spoon

Who woulda thought that after the great U2 debate on this thread a while back the next band to get this much reaction would be Spoon.

****Ducks and runs****

yea, it’s always some 80s/90s rock band or an 2000s pitchfork darling like The National or Spoon, all of whom im not that familiar with 😆

call me when you guys debate bloc party, i got a lot of opinions for their discography 😎

U2's output from War to Achtung Baby is one of the strongest runs in music, therefore that era of U2 >>> Spoon.

U2's output from How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb until now is complete garbage (except much of No Line On the Horizon), so that era of U2 <<<<<<<<< Spoon
I notice that you left Pop and All That You Can't Leave behind in no man's land 🤔

I notice that you left Pop and All That You Can't Leave behind in no man's land 🤔
I love Zooropa, but also recognize that it isn't highly regarded amongst those who are not huge U2 fans. Pop is mediocre at best. ATYCLB is on an island by itself, the one album that kind of gave them a new spark, but since then it's been all downhill.

::: rolls up sleeves :::
  1. Gimme Fiction
  2. They Want My Soul
  3. Girls Can Tell
  4. Kill the Moonlight
  5. Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
  6. Transference
  7. Hot Thoughts
  8. A Series of Sneaks
The earlier stuff is just not that good. #8 is passable, #7 is good, #1-6 are excellent.

****Ducks and runs****

In terms of personal preference I agree with you but that’s an apples-and-oranges comparison. U2 is stadium band from the rock era, whereas Spoon never went beyond indie rock sphere (indeed they were quite unlucky with their timing, juuuuust missing out on the riches of the CD era).

As far as their contemporaries go: personally, I rank Spoon above the White Stripes, the National, Wolf Parade, Arcade Fire, the Black Keys, TV on the Radio, and other indie big-hitters from the 00s.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Most of the comments are from people that discovered the song via the movie Horrible Bosses too. I do not trust the YouTube comments for anything.
I don't even recall that song from HB. To be fair, I thought this all on my own before I even read said comments. I Just wanted to make sure I wasn't totally out of left field. And if I can get an untrustworthy YouTuber on my side, well then that makes me untrustworthy AND uncomfortable.

::: rolls up sleeves :::
  1. Gimme Fiction
  2. They Want My Soul
  3. Girls Can Tell
  4. Kill the Moonlight
  5. Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
  6. Transference
  7. Hot Thoughts
  8. A Series of Sneaks
The earlier stuff is just not that good. #8 is passable, #7 is good, #1-6 are excellent.

In terms of personal preference I agree with you but that’s an apples-and-oranges comparison. U2 is stadium band from the rock era, whereas Spoon never went beyond indie rock sphere (indeed they were quite unlucky with their timing, juuuuust missing out on the riches of the CD era).

As far as their contemporaries go: personally, I rank Spoon above the White Stripes, the National, Wolf Parade, Arcade Fire, the Black Keys, TV on the Radio, and other indie big-hitters from the 00s.
Totally fair. I wasn't comparing them on anything other than personal taste.

This is the moment that my kids are going to sleep, my daughter (9) is upset because she couldn't understand a math problem -- which is wonderful, and heart crushing all at the same time -- my day was insanely long... and now, now all of you leave me desperately wanting to crank through all that glorious Spoon.

#TeamNoBadSpoon

And does anyone else here buy a record because the want to play a record....but can't? 😂

(Bought)

Back