Portland / Oregon

Anyone hitting the Eyelids show on 2/29? Pete Buck and Colin Meloy will both be involved, and it's their record release show. Should be a fun night.

Anyone hitting the Eyelids show on 2/29? Pete Buck and Colin Meloy will both be involved, and it's their record release show. Should be a fun night.
I was considering it. I take it you're going?

Making plans to visit Portland in July, if allowed. (making reservations that are able to be cancelled with full refund)
If allowed, what location should I look for an AirBnB, preferably somewhere close enough to walk around and go to coffee shops.
Again, if allowed.

Making plans to visit Portland in July, if allowed. (making reservations that are able to be cancelled with full refund)
If allowed, what location should I look for an AirBnB, preferably somewhere close enough to walk around and go to coffee shops.
Again, if allowed.

Most of Portland's neighborhoods are fairly walkable, and you won't have any problem finding good coffee. Hard to know which restaurants will be back up and running, and whether any music venues will be able to open their doors by then (doubtful on the latter). Pickathon, an incredible music festival, is always the first week of August...but I can't imagine that will happen either this year. What else would you be looking for in a neighborhood, etc?

Most of Portland's neighborhoods are fairly walkable, and you won't have any problem finding good coffee. Hard to know which restaurants will be back up and running, and whether any music venues will be able to open their doors by then (doubtful on the latter). Pickathon, an incredible music festival, is always the first week of August...but I can't imagine that will happen either this year. What else would you be looking for in a neighborhood, etc?
Im far less looking for music venues, and more restaurants, unique shops, and coffee shops. We are only spending three days there and another three of in the Mt Hood woods!

I've been told SE Hawthorne and that area would be nice.

For my travels to PDX, I can confirm that Hawthorne is a great area. As is RIchmond, which is a few blocks south of Hawthorne and runs along Division Street.

I can also recommend the Alberta Arts district a little further north along Alberta Street. didn't get too much time to explore on my last trip, but really enjoyed walking around there.

The nice thing with all those neighborhoods is that they are all very walkable with good transit access if you want to head downtown along W Burnside/Pearl District/Old Town.

I've been told SE Hawthorne and that area would be nice.

Yes, SE Hawthorne/Belmont/Division would be a nice spot. That said, I would probably lean toward the N. Alberta/Vancouver/Williams area. A more robust mix of arts and culture, in my opinion, along with some great restaurants, coffee, walking, etc.

Yes, SE Hawthorne/Belmont/Division would be a nice spot. That said, I would probably lean toward the N. Alberta/Vancouver/Williams area. A more robust mix of arts and culture, in my opinion, along with some great restaurants, coffee, walking, etc.
yep, that would be my other choice.

I'm a big fan of the Kenton area and would echo everything else already stated above.

Stop by a Townshend teahouse while you're in town.

I'm a big fan of the Kenton area and would echo everything else already stated above.

Stop by a Townshend teahouse while you're in town.

You still spending time at the Cultured Caveman? Have you been to Speck's? It's a mostly used record store in Kenton that popped up a few years ago.

You still spending time at the Cultured Caveman? Have you been to Speck's? It's a mostly used record store in Kenton that popped up a few years ago.

Yes! I pop into specks at least once per trip to pdx since I'm at the cultured caveman anyway. I really like it. Worth a visit for sure. There's also a nice comic book shop around the corner from there who's name currently escapes me.

And yes. I checked cavemans social media the other day to see how they were doing during the shutdown. They seem pretty upbeat so fingers crossed i get to go there again.

Last edited:
Back