Polaris Prize 2019

Aelias

The long list for the Polaris Prize was announced today so I thought I'd make a thread for people interested. If you're not familiar, here's a quick blurb from their about section:

The Polaris Music Prize is a not-for-profit organization that annually honours and rewards artists who produce Canadian music albums of distinction. A select panel of music critics judge and award the Prize without regard to musical genre or commercial popularity.

The long list is 40 albums, the short list (10 albums) will be announced on July 16 and the winner will be announced on September 16.

2019 Polaris Prize Long List

Bolded names made the Short List

Tim Baker - Forever Overhead
Tanika Charles - The Gumption
Clairmont The Second - Do You Drive?
Charlotte Cornfield - The Shape of Your Name
Marie Davidson - Working Class Woman
Dilly Dally - Heaven
The Dirty Nil - Master Volume
Dizzy - Baby Teeth
Elisapie - The Ballad of the Runaway Girl
FET.NAT - Le Mal
Dominique Fils-Aimé -
Stay Tuned!
Fucked Up - Dose Your Dreams
Yves Jarvis - The Same But By Different Means
Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated
Kaia Kater - Grenades
Kimmortal - X Marks the Swirl
La Force - La Force
LAL - Dark Beings
Laurence-Anne - Première apparition
Salomé Leclerc - Les choses extérieures
Lee Harvey Osmond - Mohawk
Jean Leloup - L'étrange pays
Shay Lia - Dangerous
Les Louanges - La nuit est une panthère
Loud - Tout ça pour ça
Shawn Mendes - Shawn Mendes
Haviah Mighty - 13th Floor
Operators - Radiant Dawn
Orville Peck - Pony
Sandro Perri - In Another Life
PUP - Morbid Stuff
Lee Reed - The Steal City EP
Jessie Reyez - Being Human In Public
Shad - A Short Story About a War
Snotty Nose Rez Kids -
Trapline
Alexandra Stréliski - Inscape
sydanie - 999
TOBi - STILL
Voivod - The Wake
Wintersleep - In The Land Of

Previous Winners: 2018 Jeremy Dutcher - Wolastoqiyik Lintuwakonawa; 2017 Lido Pimienta – La Papessa; 2016 Kaytranada – 99.9%; 2015 Buffy Sainte-Marie – Power in the Blood; 2014 Tanya Tagaq – Animism; 2013 Godspeed You! Black Emperor – 'Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!; 2012 Feist – Metals

Updated after the release of the Short List

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this--I didn't realize the long list was out. I haven't listened to everything on that list yet but of what I have heard, Sandro Perri's In Another Life is incredible. One of my favourite albums of last year.

I'll check out Sandro Perri, haven't listened to him yet. I've heard maybe a third of these. I really like the Wintersleep and Operators albums but I don't think they're good/different enough to win. And as much as I like Tim Baker and Carly Rae I kinda feel like they got in on name recognition. I've been meaning to check out the Orville Peck, Lee Harvey Osmond, and Snotty Nose Rez Kids albums for a while so I think they're next up for me.

Listening to this Dominique Fils-Aimé record right now, the first one announced. Holy smokes it's good.
I haven't heard that one yet either. I haven't listened to any of the 4 announced yet, I've got some listening to do.

The Tim Baker and Wintersleep are my favourite albums on the long list. Won't be shocked if neither ends up on the short list though. Rooting for Tim Baker especially though.

Wintersleep, Tim Baker, and Operators are my favourites but I don't think they'll make it. I liked Tim Baker's album quite a bit even if it didn't draw me in as much as the Hey Rosetta stuff did, really looking forwards to more from him.

Disappointed for Sandro Perri, as I think that album was truly sublime, but I'm excited to delve into all the other albums. I think this is probably the year that I'd heard the fewest albums in the shortlist beforehand, only knowing PUP's record so far.

I keep trying to listen to all these shortlist records, but I can't get any further than Dominique Fils-Aimé's Stay Tuned! It's too damn good!

I listened to all of them at least a couple times and really came away liking Stay Tuned! and La nuit est une panthère the most. Should be a good night of performances.

Back