Podcast Thread: recommendations, discussion, all the things

There are a good many I'm interested in (especially disc golf related), but I just can't seem to allow myself that time away from my massive streaming queue or my opportunities to spin records! 😳

LOUD the history of reggaeton

I don't even like reggaeton but I really enjoyed this. 10 episodes, each around 40ish minutes.

Shallow Rewards

Chris Ott talking shit about music, mostly the Cure. Very sporadically updated, but each episode is :chef's kiss spicy:

The Dogg Zzone by 1-900-HOTDOG

two of the dudes from cracked.com just talking shit, sometimes themed, sometimes with guests. If I had to recommend a single episode to get a flavor for it, try Episode 74, Hunting Psychic Bigfoot

*The Worst Idea of All Time - a couple of Kiwi lads, Tim Batt and Guy Montgomery(Taskmaster NZ season 2) spent season 1 watching Grown Ups 2 every week for a year. Season 2, the same but Sex and the City 2. Season 3 was an absolutely terrible sounding movie called We Are Your Friends. Then in Season 4 they headed back to NYC for Sex and the City the movie.

Season 5 was a bit different as they watched a different movie from the Emmanuelle series every week for a year.

In between all of that they have a bunch of smaller seasons, My Week With Cats, Do More, the emergency pandemic season where they watched Home Alone 3 every 3 days.

It's a fantastic time, and they have very lovely accents.

Tim Batt started his own podcast network which includes:
*Boners of the Heart with Rose Matafeo and Alice Snedden
*the Male Gayz with Eli Mathewson and Chris Parker
*All Talk with Mike Minogue(from Wellington Paranormal)

And here's some other faves of mine:

*Off Menu - Ed Gamble and a genie(played by James Acaster) invite a guest to their dream restaurant where the guest discusses and chooses their favorite starter, drink, appetizer, main, dessert, and bread course, but not in that order. It's a hilarious good time.

*Taskmaster the official podcast - another hosted by Ed Gamble. Do you watch the UK Taskmaster? Then this pod is for you!

*Films to Be Buried With with Brett Goldstein

*Look Good For the Boys - a horror gossip podcast.

*Free to a Good Home - comedians score the classified ads finding the most bizarre items imaginable.

*Decoder Ring with Willa Paskin. Taking a look at, and cracking, cultural mysteries.

*You're Wrong About - deep dives on events and people that were miscast in the public imagination.

One I've been really wanting to check out is God Ween Evan

God Ween Evan is a podcast celebrating the American rock 'n' roll band Ween, and one man's refusal to open his heart, mind, and soul to the band's music.

My go to music podcasts right now are:

Open Mike Eagle's Secret Skin - It's mostly interviews with other Independent rappers but recently he's been discussing his discography with hosts of other podcasts from his network Stoney Island that is really similar to his other podcast What Had Happened Was where he does a whole season retrospective of an artists career (3 seasons so far with Prince Paul, El-P, and Dante Ross)

I've enjoyed a few seasons of Dissect too where the host does a track by track deep dive through a bunch of modern classic records, Gambino's Because the Internet, Mac Miller's Swimming in Circles, and Bo Burnham's Inside are the 3 I've checked out but there's a few others I'd like to listen to)

For TV/Movie Podcasts-

I like The Always Sunny Podcast where the 3 guys from the show go episode by episode (sort of) and discuss Sunny, with occasional guest cast members from the show.

Brett Goldstein's Films to Be Buried With where he has comedian and other creatives from TV/Movies on to answer a set list of questions like what was the 1st film you remember seeing, which scared you the most, what's the sexiest film etc. I signed up for Patreon for this one.

Misc. -

Storytime with Seth Rogan has some great episodes where a guest tells a wild real life story.

Deeply Human with Dessa where she discusses a single issue like sleep, hate, crowds, and other Deeply Human issues/concerns.

*Off Menu - Ed Gamble and a genie(played by James Acaster) invite a guest to their dream restaurant where the guest discusses and chooses their favorite starter, drink, appetizer, main, dessert, and bread course, but not in that order. It's a hilarious good time.

*Taskmaster the official podcast - another hosted by Ed Gamble. Do you watch the UK Taskmaster? Then this pod is for you!

Taskmaster is the best, found James and Ed Brambles through it and love both of them.

Taskmaster is the best, found James and Ed Brambles through it and love both of them.

Same!

During the pandemic I discovered and watched all of Taskmaster. Which led me to the Taskmaster podcast, which led me to Off Menu.

Then eventually led me to the NZ Taskmaster.

I've needed to avoid US based comedy for most of the pandemic as the state of the world and our countries government stresses me out. But I can listen to UK and NZ comedians all day long. So I started searching for podcast episodes with James and Ed as guests. And that's how I could Films to Be Buried With, Cuddle Club, My Own Personal Beatles, and others.

Same!

During the pandemic I discovered and watched all of Taskmaster. Which led me to the Taskmaster podcast, which led me to Off Menu.

Then eventually led me to the NZ Taskmaster.

I've needed to avoid US based comedy for most of the pandemic as the state of the world and our countries government stresses me out. But I can listen to UK and NZ comedians all day long. So I started searching for podcast episodes with James and Ed as guests. And that's how I could Films to Be Buried With, Cuddle Club, My Own Personal Beatles, and others.
giphy.gif

You might have already checked it out but James Acaster's stand up (some on Netflix) is fantastic too if you're looking for more from him. I also loved Rose Matafeo from TM and her HBO show Starstruck is really good if you like RomCom-ish shows.

giphy.gif

You might have already checked it out but James Acaster's stand up (some on Netflix) is fantastic too if you're looking for more from him. I also loved Rose Matafeo from TM and her HBO show Starstruck is really good if you like RomCom-ish shows.

Yes! I bought his Cold Lasagna Hate Myself 1999 stand up show. Would highly recommend that one!

Boners of the Heart is a podcast of Rose Matafeo and Alice Snedden who wrote Starstruck together. It's a good time!

Song Exploder is great. That and my wife's murder podcasts got us through lots of wheel time from Michigan to Montana and back.

"Song Exploder is a podcast where musicians take apart their songs, and piece by piece, tell the story of how they were made."

Disgraceland has a few cool episodes too.
"Disgraceland is a music and true crime podcast that tells the jaw dropping stories of musicians behaving very badly… and some even getting away with murder."

Song Exploder is great. That and my wife's murder podcasts got us through lots of wheel time from Michigan to Montana and back.

"Song Exploder is a podcast where musicians take apart their songs, and piece by piece, tell the story of how they were made."

Disgraceland has a few cool episodes too.
"Disgraceland is a music and true crime podcast that tells the jaw dropping stories of musicians behaving very badly… and some even getting away with murder."
New episode of Song Exploder on Madonna's Hung Up just came out, and it's great!

My go to music podcasts right now are:

Open Mike Eagle's Secret Skin - It's mostly interviews with other Independent rappers but recently he's been discussing his discography with hosts of other podcasts from his network Stoney Island that is really similar to his other podcast What Had Happened Was where he does a whole season retrospective of an artists career (3 seasons so far with Prince Paul, El-P, and Dante Ross)

I am just listening to this now and I am really interested, but holy shit, 13 minutes into the first El-P episode and El hasn't even started talking yet. his actual conversation with el is animated but his intro is like listening to a stoned sloth tell you a very disinterested story

I am just listening to this now and I am really interested, but holy shit, 13 minutes into the first El-P episode and El hasn't even started talking yet. his actual conversation with el is animated but his intro is like listening to a stoned sloth tell you a very disinterested story

Stoned sloth is kinda my sweet spot for podcast hosts but I hear you, the intros can go long with ads and promoting the other shows on his network. If I remember correctly the intros get shorter as the season goes on.

Back