Phoebe Bridgers Punisher

boba_fun

Anybody get the red vinyl? I've tried two copies and both sound terrible. Such a shame because it's such a beautiful record. I'd be curious to hear if anyone has a plain black one that sounds good...

Anybody get the red vinyl? I've tried two copies and both sound terrible. Such a shame because it's such a beautiful record. I'd be curious to hear if anyone has a plain black one that sounds good...
Man I was going to try to buy the red vinyl soon. This seems to be one of those hit or miss deals. Some reviews I've seen say it sounds fine, others echo yours... I'm not sure how much I feel like rolling the dice on this one.

I've got the "blue with kind of swirly silver." It's not audiophile quality, but not awful either. I still need to give it a vacuum cleaning, but it has some of the same issues as (though sounds a bit better than) the lavendar vinyl "Stranger in the Alps" I own--a little bit of noise on occasion, a slight tendency toward sibilance.

Yeah, I have the UK green blue peacock and it's not great either. Slightly warped but playable and I wouldn't say a major upgrade to streaming the album. Came with a nice booklet though!

I have the "red swirly" and mine sounded terrible until I cleaned it. Skips, pops, noise... it was kind of a mess. I wouldn't say cleaning brought it to audiophile mofi quality, but it is like 75% better than it was out of the shrink and very listenable. I don't put it on and notice anything negative about any more, but it also doesn't have that WOW factor that some high quality pressings do. Honestly, I don't think Secretly pressings are ever all that great.

Just got my VMP edition in. I also have the UK Blue and Green and Swirly edition. I think I'll open the VMP and if it sounds decent I'll let the other one go. Wish I could check them both out without having to open them.

What a beautiful record. I've only listened to it about 3 or 4 times now and the last two cuts, 'Graceland Too' and 'I Know the End' are really rocking my boat right now. The Sufjan Stevens-esque portion of 'I Know the End' has led me to fall in love with my subwoofer, which is beautifully reproducing some intense bass that's rocking my bones but not overwhelming. This young woman is assured and deeply talented.

I vacuum-cleaned my "blue with swirly silver" vinyl and it definitely sounds better. There's a bit of room for improvement in the sound, but it's now quiet. Sounds good.

EDIT: Just listening to 'Kyoto' and have to add that to my list haha! I have a feeling this list will get longer before it recedes.

Last edited:
Phoebe would love the Elliott Smith comparison.

For reference, I have the Secretly Blue with Swirly and think it sounds really good. I don't have Audiophile equipment or the ear but it's probably better than a good chunk of my collection in terms of quality. I haven't opened the Magnolia opaque red to try yet. Bummer to hear on the Indie version though. I would agree, the booklet is a great add-in and I'm jealous of the Brits who had the signed print option.

Graceland Too may be my song of the year right now. It's a true gem.

Phoebe would love the Elliott Smith comparison.

For reference, I have the Secretly Blue with Swirly and think it sounds really good. I don't have Audiophile equipment or the ear but it's probably better than a good chunk of my collection in terms of quality. I haven't opened the Magnolia opaque red to try yet. Bummer to hear on the Indie version though. I would agree, the booklet is a great add-in and I'm jealous of the Brits who had the signed print option.

Graceland Too may be my song of the year right now. It's a true gem.

Totally agree on Graceland Too. Gorgeous song. I never really thought of Lucy Dacus as having a 'beautiful' voice (surely like her music), but her harmony surely fits that bill. (Listening carefully through headphones for Julien's part, well, I think it adds 'haunt' to the mix :))

her intonation and phrasing in the way she sings reminds me so much of elliot smith

The "you" in the song "Punisher" is Elliott Smith, and it absolutely wrecks me every time I listen to it.

EDIT: And I think the chorus, where she talks about feeling like she knows him is meant to echo the chorus of Elliott's "Waltz #2 (XO)."

damn, waited all that time to wait and listen to the full album once I got the vinyl from jpc but that wont be happening now : // .. Ironically, I also got an album that was listed as "acceptable" from the amazon warehouse and of course that came in flawless condition lol.

IMG_20200717_125321.jpgIMG_20200717_125337.jpg

damn, waited all that time to wait and listen to the full album once I got the vinyl from jpc but that wont be happening now : // .. Ironically, I also got an album that was listed as "acceptable" from the amazon warehouse and of course that came in flawless condition lol.

View attachment 57398View attachment 57399
Whoa, that's a bummer. I've placed a couple of orders with jpc recently. Hope this is an outlier. And the thought of a return, oof!

Whoa, that's a bummer. I've placed a couple of orders with jpc recently. Hope this is an outlier. And the thought of a return, oof!

Yeah, hopefully there customer service is good with english and overseas issues.. It's my first order with them and i'd say the damage was partly on them and USPS.. They used a pretty mediocre at best mailer especially for having to travel to another country. I had some major damage with hhv last week and they were awesome about fixing it so im hoping that repeats with jpc.

Hopefully it works out for you though and myself as they do seem to carry some good exclusives at times.

Back