Numero Group

Funny this is on here now because today I picked up a very nice used copy of the Warfaring Strangers: Darkscorch Canticles double album. It's the their Strangers series. It's an awesome compilation of proto metal bands.

I've slacked on Numero releases over the past year or so, but I've got about 50ish of their releases. They are a fantastic label

Yeah, I went crazy on buying everything Numero I saw, then backed off. I haven't really even checked in with their site in awhile.

I've discovered so much great stuff through their releases. The vocal trio I play drums behind covers a total gem from Deep City (on my suggestion :) ) and it has become kind of a signature song of theirs to open shows.

I just picked up my first Numero title, Cult Cargo: Grand Bahama Goombay, at my local. It's so good, but I cannot, I repeat, I CANNOT afford to go down a rabbit hole buying all these. I'd love to hear recs on people's one or two favorite Numero releases though.

I cant recommend the Local Customs and Wayfaring Strangers series enough. Both are stellar and I think theres only 4 in each one so far. You really can't go wrong with any of those IMO.

Favorite Eccentric Souls:
Both of the Deep City ones
The Capsoul Label
The Forte Label

Others:
Wayfaring Strangers: Cosmic American Music
Warfairing Strangers: Acid Nightmares
Light: On The South Side
All of the Cult Cargos

I could keep going (Jackie Shane, T.L. Barrett, Arrogance, Fathers Children, etc...)

But really,
Too many to recommend. Buy them all

My favourites are Cosmic American Music and Guitar Soli, but I only have the latter so far. I know I'll go way too deep into the rabbit hole if I start buying many more. I'm really digging Technicolor Paradise right now. Jackie Shane is also amazing.

Numero is one of my favorite reissue labels. They do that pop up shop every year or two in different cities around the US and I have snagged so many albums from those (at least I think they still do them...). I think @Woob_woob is spot on with the recommendations. Those are my 4 favorite Eccentric Soul releases although there are other good ones. And Wayfaring comps are all excellent.

Probably 5 or so years ago, I was in one of my favorite record stores after work (which has sadly closed and become a coffee shop I think...) The guy who ran the desk had just fantastic taste in music and I loved the store so much because no matter what you brought up to buy, the guy would excitedly say..."oh you like these guys? then you GOTTA check out THESE guys!" and just stop what he was doing and dig out something to play for you while he grooved out to it. That day, I can't remember what I was going to buy but I approached the register and he said "Man, you gotta check out this band, Pretty." and threw on the 45 of the song Mustache In Your Face. I immediately asked him where I could buy it and he said that Numero had re-released a set of 2 45s from the band but he wasn't getting it back in stock and even called up some other record stores nearby for me to see if anybody had it in stock. I hadn't realized that Numero pressed more than just soul comps at that point and it sent me down another rabbit hole hah. Nowadays, I tend to pick up anything that Numero does or at least give it a listen.

I've picked up a few of their releases, mostly stuff in my wheelhouse. These are all recommended if you like the genres.
Joanna Brouk - Hearing Music (Early Electronic Music, kinda new age)
Fern Jones - Glory Road (Gospel music with Patsy Cline style vocals)
Joseph Washington Jr. - Merry Christmas to You from Joseph (Christmas music)

This was a surprise favourite of mine. Love the record label but who knew I loved soft rock so much! (They did)

Back