November 2022 Challenge Thread: The TV Guide Challenge

Friday November 25, 2000
7:30 PM ⓭ Fox Undeclared
Play an artist you discovered when you were in college/after moved away from home

Our Lady Peace - Spiritual Machines

DB495EC2-FAD4-435E-8DE5-C700D148E616.jpeg

Moving to college meant transitioning from snail paced dial-up internet to the previously-unfathomable DSL speeds. Napster was constantly downloading anything that could come to mind and it allowed me to explore new bands without buyers remorse, oftentimes leaked months ahead of the release date. I had remembered “Superman’s Dead” from the radio a few years prior so when I learned Our Lady Peace had a new album coming out that winter, I tried it out and it sounded like the perfect dorm room album. For several weeks it was playing frequently from my WinAmp player, even if no one was in the room, because that’s just what we did. Our college had also started this new “internet only” radio station and I had a weekly show and loved playing this track a lot:

7:00 PM ❺ NBC Freaks & Geeks - 6 More pieces I'll have a bigger kit than Neil Peart..
PXL_20221125_122702676.jpg

I always thought I was the only kid that listened to rap music until I got to highschool and found out I wasn't alone! I loved passing tapes around recording the Powermove show, local college radio rap show, and sitting around trying to figure out who did each song and what the song was called, college radio didn't exactly do very good rundowns, and trying to impress my friends with more and more obscure rap music! Then Dr. Dre hit and things blew up! Rap took a turn and now it seemed like EVERYONE liked rap music! If it wasn't G-Funk no one cares! Then along comes these weirdos from LA that blew my mind with there styles, flows and beats! They were something completely different and I couldn't get enough! A little freaky, very geeky and still one of my favorite records of all time...

Friday November 25, 2000
7:00 PM ❺ NBC Freaks & Geeks
Play something that was a little freaky and/or geeking that you enjoyed in High School

MxPx - Life In General

View attachment 158805

The cover could be straight from a scene from the show. In high school, I spent a lot of time at Club Impact in Tacoma, which was an all-ages punk venue that supported a lot of local bands. I thought MxPx was the greatest thing to come out of Bremerton until I met my wife.
So what your saying is that Sir Mix-a-lot’s “Bremelo” was not an accurate description of the ladies of Bremerton then, huh?

Friday November 25, 2000
7:00 PM ❺ NBC Freaks & Geeks
Play something that was a little freaky and/or geeking that you enjoyed in High School.

The Power Station "The Power Station 33 1/3" (1985 Capitol)
I wore out the cassette for this, as the geek sitting on his own with his walkman on the way to school using the city bus and walking around the school hallways. It was also on the ghetto blaster when I would get together with my buddies for role playing sessions.

IMG_3231.JPG

7:30 PM ⓭ Fox Undeclared - Freaks and Geeks: The College Years

PXL_20221125_123725340.jpg

Ok so after highschool or round about the end of highschool I was starting to expand my musical listening habits...I started to get into funk and soul, I'm not sure how I found out about it, probably a message board about music, but I started to hear stories about a few labels in New York that were producing funk music. It wasn't an homage it was a continuation of what James Brown and his many imitators were doing in the late 60's and 70's, hard ass 4/4 funk that gets your ass moving!
Desco was a record label ran by Bosco Mann (aka Gabriel Roth) and Phillip Lehman, when that shut down Roth and Neal Sugarman formed Daptone records and Lehman formed Soul Fire, after that shut down his co-founders formed Truth and Soul Records which is now owned by Big Crown Records, and both started producing just amazing funk music! They introduced the world to Sharron Jones and Lee Fields amongst others and Daptone is still kicking it today...

7:30 PM ⓭ Fox Undeclared - Freaks and Geeks: The College Years

View attachment 158829

Ok so after highschool or round about the end of highschool I was starting to expand my musical listening habits...I started to get into funk and soul, I'm not sure how I found out about it, probably a message board about music, but I started to hear stories about a few labels in New York that were producing funk music. It wasn't an homage it was a continuation of what James Brown and his many imitators were doing in the late 60's and 70's, hard ass 4/4 funk that gets your ass moving!
Desco was a record label ran by Bosco Mann (aka Gabriel Roth) and Phillip Lehman, when that shut down Roth and Neal Sugarman formed Daptone records and Lehman formed Soul Fire, after that shut down his co-founders formed Truth and Soul Records which is now owned by Big Crown Records, and both started producing just amazing funk music! They introduced the world to Sharron Jones and Lee Fields amongst others and Daptone is still kicking it today...

Oh man, those are awesome! I don't have any Desco 45's! So cool to see another person that was into late 90's and early 2000's funk!

I really got into funk, but for me it was during the last few years of Grad School and during my post-doctoral fellowship.

I'm not trying to show you up - just want to share the ones I have with you, since you might be one of the few here that would appreciate. Here are my Soul Fires and Daptones (I missed a few Lee Fields Daptones I think). I'm adding my Poets of Rhythm collection as well since I was really into them too. Got lots of other stuff, including Timmion Records, Jazzman, Tramp, Melting Pot, Truth & Soul, Funk45, etc. I used to order from Dusty Grooves so much. Several original funk and african 45's too (my most valuable records are some of these 45's... it's crazy how much those go for now). I even had a 2nd turntable at the time because I had illusions of spinning funk 45's at parties, but I'm not that cool or confident, so I ended up selling both tables and getting a single Technics 1210, which was an great choice in the end.

IMG_3232.JPG
IMG_3233.JPG
IMG_3234.JPG

Oh man, those are awesome! I don't have any Desco 45's! So cool to see another person that was into late 90's and early 2000's funk!

I really got into funk, but for me it was during the last few years of Grad School and during my post-doctoral fellowship.

I'm not trying to show you up - just want to share the ones I have with you, since you might be one of the few here that would appreciate. Here are my Soul Fires and Daptones (I missed a few Lee Fields Daptones I think). I'm adding my Poets of Rhythm collection as well since I was really into them too. Got lots of other stuff, including Timmion Records, Jazzman, Tramp, Melting Pot, Truth & Soul, Funk45, etc. I used to order from Dusty Grooves so much. Several original funk and african 45's too (my most valuable records are some of these 45's... it's crazy how much those go for now). I even had a 2nd turntable at the time because I had illusions of spinning funk 45's at parties, but I'm not that cool or confident, so I ended up selling both tables and getting a single Technics 1210, which was an great choice in the end.

View attachment 158844
View attachment 158845
View attachment 158846

Not showing me up at all, it's always cool to see people's collections and I actually have a lot of those myself, I was also really into 45's!
Desco were hard to come by, I think I just missed them but I have most of the first 20 or so Daptone and a bunch of Soul Fire, Jazzman, Truth and Soul, and a bunch of random 45's from like those loosely associated labels with Daptone!

I had a small group of friends that used to go with me to those funk 45 nights, best one was when Phillip Lehman was playing, it was just a killer set and we hung out afterwards just chatting and listening to more funk and he turns to me and says, "did you get the 45's?" I was like "no" and he grabbed like 5 records and just handed them to me!

Also got to see Sharron Jones and Lee Fields, together and seperate, multiple times in small clubs and large theatres, some of the most fun shows I've ever been to!

Not showing me up at all, it's always cool to see people's collections and I actually have a lot of those myself, I was also really into 45's!
Desco were hard to come by, I think I just missed them but I have most of the first 20 or so Daptone and a bunch of Soul Fire, Jazzman, Truth and Soul, and a bunch of random 45's from like those loosely associated labels with Daptone!

I had a small group of friends that used to go with me to those funk 45 nights, best one was when Phillip Lehman was playing, it was just a killer set and we hung out afterwards just chatting and listening to more funk and he turns to me and says, "did you get the 45's?" I was like "no" and he grabbed like 5 records and just handed them to me!

Also got to see Sharron Jones and Lee Fields, together and seperate, multiple times in small clubs and large theatres, some of the most fun shows I've ever been to!

Desco was just ending when I started getting into funk so there wasn’t much left around.

One of my all time favorite shows was one of those Daptone review nights in Montreal. Tiny room like you describe. Sharon was headlining but a few others came on a little. At the end of the show they just left their instruments and mingled in the crowd. I had brought a 45 to get it signed but I was too shy. My wife, who has no such reservations, went to see Sharon and ended up getting a conversation talking about how big of a fan I was, a big lipstick smack on her cheek and the signed record. That remains my favourite collectible.

Last edited:
Friday November 25, 2000
Play an artist you discovered when you were in college/after moved away from home

Concrete Blonde - Bloodletting

F464F82A-4DA1-4974-AD53-F738E5569C49.jpeg
The video for Joey was all over MTV in 1990, my junior year of college. I've since become obsessed with the Bloodletting album overall.

Wednesday November 23
Channel 5 10:30 PM ❻ CBS The Late Show With David Letterman

2A31619C-87F3-4D10-812B-C5E228DC0BB8.jpeg

Sleeper Agent - About Last Night

Gonna take this time to shill for my ROTM! There first and only TV appearance was on Letterman to support this album!

The only video I found of it on YouTube has tv ads included in it lol

Friday November 25, 2000
Play an artist you discovered when you were in college/after moved away from home.

Neil Young & Crazy Horse "Rust Never Sleeps" (1979 Reprise; 2017 reissue)
I discovered Neil Young during University when Harvest Moon was released (in 1992), and then I worked my way backwards.

IMG_3235.JPG

Back