November 2022 Challenge Thread: The TV Guide Challenge

Tuesday November 22
8:00 PM ⑯ WB Gilmore Girls
Sonic Youth - Murray Street
414D021B-445D-4004-8081-07781334EE79.jpeg
Gilmore Girls was mostly excellent. While the bones of the show were your typical early 2000s WB/CW Teen Drama along the lines of Dawson’s Creek or One Tree Hill what set it a part was the the zippy dialogue chocked full of creator, Amy Sherman-Pallladino’s witty bon mots and hilarious pop culture references. The show even had more than a few memorable musical guests drop by of the shows run.

8:00 PM ⑰ NBC Frasier
Mudhoney - Mudhoney
FB40EE5A-249D-4EFD-871A-988831BF9001.jpeg
I love 90s era Seattle music though I kinda hate the term “Grunge” it’s just feels like a lazy catchall band like Nirvana, Sound Garden, and Pearl Jam, while they all share a similar aesthetic; don’t sound all that similar musically. Regardless, the art being made in the Pacific Northwest at the end of the 80s/start of the 90s was a beautiful thing.

Tuesday November 22
Play an artist that cameoed or was referenced on Gilmore Girls.

Go-Go's "Beauty And The Beat" (1981 I.R.S.; 2020 reissue)
If I did my research correctly, one of the characters finds a record by the Go-Go's in a New York record store.

IMG_3219.JPG

Tuesday November 22
Play an artist that cameoed or was referenced on Gilmore Girls

Sam Phillips - Martinis & Bikinis

E3F55714-0EC4-4747-8429-5CCC3DEA97A8.jpeg

Pretty awesome that Sam Phillips was the composer of the show’s music. I was more of a Veronica Mars fan though (I first checked it out when Spoon was on an episode).

Monday November 21
7:30 PM ❻ CBS Newhart
Dick Louden and his wife ran The Stratford Inn in Rural Vermont. Play something that references life on the road, or a Vacation/Holiday

When as a retiree, every day is a vacation and Summerlong.

Rose City Band - Summerlong

AF71C270-CD85-4AD7-B558-F09362824C4F.jpeg

Tuesday November 22
Play some “Grunge”

Truly - Fast Stories… From Kid Coma

B693A579-2ED0-4A4C-B742-E579B79CACF3.jpeg

Such an awesome record. Recorded during the “grunge” years but not released until grunge was already declared dead. Features members from Soundgarden and Screaming Trees.

Tuesday November 22
Play an artist that cameoed or was referenced on Gilmore Girls.

I have admittedly never watched Gilmore Girls. I did almost use this for an earlier prompt (play a band that a friend introduced you to), and found the Gilmore Girls link then. Glad I can use it now.

In season 2, episode 14 Lane is grounded, but Rory is able to get her the latest Belle and Sebastian single through some well orchestrated moves.

Belle and Sebastian ~ Dear Catastrophe Waitress

1669166972567.png

Tuesday November 22nd

Like with Pete & Pete, I don’t know too much about Gilmore Girls and my catalogue of musicians they’ve referenced (from what little research I did) is veeerry limited. Thankfully, I was able to find one…

David Bowie - Station to Station

434AB483-C0D2-4DE2-8295-B6FFE500076F.jpeg

Bowie was referenced at least once on that show, I know that much…

Tuesday November 22nd

Like with Pete & Pete, I don’t know too much about Gilmore Girls and my catalogue of musicians they’ve referenced (from what little research I did) is veeerry limited. Thankfully, I was able to find one…

David Bowie - Station to Station

View attachment 158448

Bowie was referenced at least once on that show, I know that much…
Ya done good! Here’s 12+ minutes of Bowie references on Gilmore Girls…

Glenn Miller – Pure Gold
20221122_175311.jpg

I've never seen the show, but looking through the list of music they played on it there are a LOT of songs I love in the show. An alarming amount of which I do not have on vinyl, however. That was also an eye-opener! Season three's 7th episode, "They Shoot Gilmores, Don't They?" prominently featured a couple of Glenn Miller tunes, found herein.

.......:::::::::::::::::::::.......

Silverchair – Neon Ballroom
20221122_183740.jpg

This album began their shift away from it, but Silverchair were both praised and derided for being grunge when Frogstop came out. I remember hearing them called Nirvana Junior with some amount of scorn on many occasions, but I loved 'em. Wish I had some Frogstomp to crank today, but this is always fun to put on as well.

Back