No Buy Vinyl January Challenge!!!

Dirtbag Auntie

JANUARY 2021 - NO BUY VINYL THREAD CHALLENGE

Are you looking to cut down or eliminate your vinyl spending this first month of a fresh new year? Do you have records in your collection that you bought and never listened to? Do you have sealed records that need to be opened and played because records are meant to be listened to and are not collector's items? Do you have some fresh grabs from December that need spins or records that have been in your collection for yearssss?

This. is. the. challenge. for. you. Let's get these albums spun and enjoyed instead of stalking the deals or pre-order thread to overstuff your shelves.

The rules:

-Be cool. Don't bring your fresh January grabs in here and brag.
-Don't try to sell yr unwanted vinyl here (bro).
-We are on the honor system here.

How it works:

-Go through your collection and identify unplayed records that were in your collection before today 1/1/21!
-Take a pic of them getting spun. You can post in this thread. Please do not post your records in the No Buy Vinyl Support thread. We do not want to trigger any purchases and be supportive there.
-Get pointsssssssss
-Top 3 members with the most points get donations made in their names to their local food bank or animal shelters/rescues.

Pointsssss:

- 1 point: record opened but spun for the first time (pic)
- add 1 point: do you have a N&G ROTM that you haven't spun? spin it (pic) (extra bonus point if it is my march 2020 selection <3)
- add 2 points: sealed record opened and spun for the first time (pics of sealed cover and record being spun)
- add 5 points: box set! you have an unlistened to box set? spin it all (pics of each disc spinning)
- add 31 points: did you spin an unlistened to record every flipping day in January? points city to you.

Prizes:

- First Place gets $50 $100 donated to their local food bank or animal shelter/rescue! Update 1/3: @Ginormousthumbs match!
- Second Place gets $30 $60 donated to their local food bank or animal shelter/rescue! (Donated by @Kris) Update 1/3: @Ginormousthumbs match!
- Third Place gets $20 $40 donated to their local food bank or animal shelter/rescue! (Donated by @Kris) Update 1/3: @Ginormousthumbs match!

Questions?
Tag me or message me. January will be an insane month for me so I will be popping in and out. I will keep track on a google doc and update weekly.

If I don't respond within a day, tag my bro @Ginormousthumbs. He can reach me or should I just trust him to answer questions for me?

Happy new year y'all! I'm excited to dig into my collection. I am reorganizing my collection today and flagging records that have been seriously ignored.

Also, the thread is still open to non challenge people who want to talk about their no buy periods but I hope to get a decent turn out for this.

byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Last edited:
People with Points:

@Ginormousthumbs - 7 (massive attack didn't have pic with shrink - thems the rules brah) (3 records)
@TCell - 3 (1 record)
@Lee Newman - 1 (1 record)
@GritNGlitter - 1 (1 record)
@Skalap - 4 (1 record)

If I have missed you or misadded points, please tell me!

Total previously unplayed and now enjoyed records: 7!

updated 1/2 9:32am PST

Last edited:
We have a good start! I am so happy to see 5 participants so farrrrrr

I will get some posted as well (I won't earn points though).

Thank you so much for your patience while I organize and participating. It made me so happy to see it.

I forgot to mention that anyone participating in this DOES NOT have to tag me. If you do, that means I’d have to text @girlnevergoesout and I’m on a limited text plan.

That being said, I really like the energy behind this thread, so what I’d like to do is match all 3 prize levels. Cheers 🍻
Awwwww bro!!! That’s awesome! I’ll add it to the master post!

Back