NME Top 500 Albums of All Time - Published October 2013

Oh, I don't have a problem with the same old classics not getting top billing ; I just remember some pretty random albums getting in, even inside the top 10. And as it's the NME, it was pretty white and indie too

Yeah it’s one of those lists which sadly seems kinda balanced until you get to the top 20ish and then it focuses in mostly on white male artists with an understandable focus on the UK given it is the NME.

Oh, I don't have a problem with the same old classics not getting top billing ; I just remember some pretty random albums getting in, even inside the top 10. And as it's the NME, it was pretty white and indie too
yeah... like Arctic Monkeys have no place on a list of top 500 albums of all time. I like Arctic Monkeys, but come on.

Yeah it’s one of those lists which sadly seems kinda balanced until you get to the top 20ish and then it focuses in mostly on white male artists with an understandable focus on the UK given it is the NME.
I've had a look now and it seems I misremembered a little - the top wasn't as bad as I thought but there are some random choices dotted throughout the list (Super Furry Animals in top 100)

yeah... like Arctic Monkeys have no place on a list of top 500 albums of all time. I like Arctic Monkeys, but come on.

500 is a big chunk of music. I own about 1400 and there are a few Monkeys albums that would be in my top 500. The only way to honestly do a list like this is to accept that there is no objectivity, only a range of subjective viewpoints that makes an outcome more objective, and vote for your favourites in your own order. On that basis and the range of views that will have been in the NME in 2013 it’d be a pretty ridiculous exercise in naval gazing by the people voting had they not got in...

Two National albums, sure why not...

Like the inclusion of Bill Callahan, though, and I echo the love for Stormcock. Incredible record.

Everybody Knows This is Nowhere and Bridge Over Troubled Water gotta be higher, though.

The Clash rule but Combat Rock is pretty meh. Hopefully we see a couple more higher up.

Songs of Love and Hate is my personal favourite Cohen. I'm sure the debut will be higher but I'm curious to see if Songs From a Room, which I don't love, makes it on, or even New Skin.

Lots of records I've never even heard of on this page.

oh god sorry I got completely sidetracked by the world and forgot about this entirely! I’ve still got the whole magazine! I’ll try to upload them again!

oh god sorry I got completely sidetracked by the world and forgot about this entirely! I’ve still got the whole magazine! I’ll try to upload them again!
No worries! I had just done a search for a particular album on here and my last post in this thread came up and was reminded of it. Curious to see where other things rank, especially as I'm putting the finishing touches on my own list!

Back