NHL Thread Because There Isn't An NHL Thread

The NHL board of governors voted in favor Thursday of the sale and relocation of the Arizona Coyotes to Salt Lake City, Utah, giving control of the franchise to Ryan and Ashley Smith while awarding former Coyotes owner Alex Meruelo the right to reactivate the team should he secure an arena within five years.

More to come.

The NHL board of governors voted in favor Thursday of the sale and relocation of the Arizona Coyotes to Salt Lake City, Utah, giving control of the franchise to Ryan and Ashley Smith while awarding former Coyotes owner Alex Meruelo the right to reactivate the team should he secure an arena within five years.

More to come.
Finally! Apparently some people like hockey in Arizona but obviously not enough.

Terrible ownership and management are why these Coyotes failed, not a lack of interest in hockey in the state.
Yeah but it is not like they were ever selling out their old arena unless the other team was selling it out. If they Hawks played out there it was like 75% Hawks fans.

Yeah but it is not like they were ever selling out their old arena unless the other team was selling it out. If they Hawks played out there it was like 75% Hawks fans.

Totally agree. It was a shit market, and they were never able to convert it into something else. A franchise in Saskatchewan would have been more successful.

Any rumblings about what the Utah team will be called?
For now I believe they're going to go with either Utah HC or Utah Hockey Club, both of which have been trademarked ™️ 🆕 owner, Ryan Smith, doesn't want to rush the process and wants to get it right as he said you only get one shot at it. That said, he has also trademarked the following names:

Utah Blizzard 🥶
Utah Venom
Utah Fury

One thing for certain, the 🆕 team will be called "Utah" rather than "Salt Lake City."

For now I believe they're going to go with either Utah HC or Utah Hockey Club, both of which have been trademarked ™️ 🆕 owner, Ryan Smith, doesn't want to rush the process and wants to get it right as he said you only get one shot at it. That said, he has also trademarked the following names:

Utah Blizzard 🥶
Utah Venom
Utah Fury

One thing for certain, the 🆕 team will be called "Utah" rather than "Salt Lake City."
I could see the Blizzard name being adopted, because it keeps with the double Z mantra that the state of Utah has had for a very long time with obviously the Jazz, the Grizzlies, those kinds of teams...

I could see the Blizzard name being adopted, because it keeps with the double Z mantra that the state of Utah has had for a very long time with obviously the Jazz, the Grizzlies, those kinds of teams...
Also of note: The Brooklyn-based design firm Doubleday & Cartwright, which created the uniforms for the NBA’s Milwaukee Bucks and MLS’s Inter Miami, has been hired to handle the new Utah NHL identity.

Utah Blizzard 🥶
Utah Venom
Utah Fury

Those all sound very ECHL

Also of note: The Brooklyn-based design firm Doubleday & Cartwright, which created the uniforms for the NBA’s Milwaukee Bucks and MLS’s Inter Miami, has been hired to handle the new Utah NHL identity.

Pink uniforms! Pink uniforms! Pink uniforms!

(would go excellently with Brine Shrimps!)

Back