NHL Thread Because There Isn't An NHL Thread

But related to the recent conversation that I lurk but rarely participate in. NHL is easily the most gate dependent of the major North American professional leagues, and all leagues make about the same amount of revenue on ticket sales. So if the league wants to grow they need to focus on increasing eyeballs for both national and local media deals.

The NHL preferring to be "first" in a city is, IMHO, related to the fact that owners can be sold on also likely owning the arena, which accounts for a higher percentage of revenue than the other leagues.

Look bro, it’s not happening in Quebec again.

Quebec is only one place. Southern Ontario (Kitchener, London or Hamilton) would also be great. But both cannibalize existing fanbases, so Gary doesn't like it. But Gary is missing the mark I think. The rivalries would turn fans into rabid fans, increasing engagement and so revenue. He's completely missing out on what more derbies could bring to the game.

But he prefers teaching the rules of hockey to people that have never seen an ice rink before. Seriously, the US has enough teams.

Quebec is only one place. Southern Ontario (Kitchener, London or Hamilton) would also be great. But both cannibalize existing fanbases, so Gary doesn't like it. But Gary is missing the mark I think. The rivalries would turn fans into rabid fans, increasing engagement and so revenue. He's completely missing out on what more derbies could bring to the game.

But he prefers teaching the rules of hockey to people that have never seen an ice rink before. Seriously, the US has enough teams.

We’ve been down the Hamilton road already.
How about Alaska. Plenty of ice there and a movie.

We’ve been down the Hamilton road already.
How about Alaska. Plenty of ice there and a movie.

moonflip-shillteam.gif

Back