NHL Thread Because There Isn't An NHL Thread

Florida Panthers superstar Aleksander Barkov is back in the lineup for Tuesday's clash with the St. Louis Blues after missing eight games with a lower-body injury, the team announced.

Defenseman Gustav Forsling is back as well.

Barkov has been sidelined since taking a knee-on-knee hit from New York Islanders defenseman Scott Mayfield on Nov. 16.

The first-place Panthers went 6-2 without their captain.

Barkov's been his typical dominant self so far this season, registering 17 points in 15 games while averaging nearly 21 minutes per contest.

Toronto Maple Leafs forward Jason Spezza was handed a six-game suspension for kneeing Winnipeg Jets defenseman Neal Pionk, the NHL's Department of Player Safety announced Tuesday.

Spezza took a run at a vulnerable Pionk on Sunday after the Jets blue-liner injured Leafs defenseman Rasmus Sandin with a knee-on-knee hit. Sandin is expected to miss two-to-three weeks, while Pionk was suspended two games and had to be placed in concussion protocol.

Here's a look at the full incident:

This marks the first suspension of Spezza's 19-year NHL career.

The 38-year-old veteran has been an integral player for the Leafs, both for his leadership and on-ice performance. Spezza entered Tuesday tied for fourth on the team with seven goals in 26 games despite averaging only 11:58 per contest.

The Arizona Coyotes may not find themselves barred from their own building, after all.

On Wednesday evening, The Athletic's Katie Strang reported the city of Glendale told the Coyotes it would lock them out of Gila River Arena if they failed to settle up a significant amount in unpaid fees by Dec. 20.

Last Friday, the Arizona Department of Revenue filed a tax lien notice in Maricopa County against IceArizona Hockey LLC - which owns the NHL club - stating the team owes $1.3 million in state and city taxes, Strang reported.

Later on Wednesday night, the Coyotes blamed the debt on apparent "human error" and said they're looking into it, according to the Arizona Republic's Jose M. Romero.

"We will make sure that by (Thursday) morning, the Arizona Coyotes are current on all of our bills and owe no state or local taxes whatsoever," the team said in a statement. "And we will take immediate steps to ensure that nothing like this can ever possibly happen again."

If the Coyotes fail to settle their debt by the deadline, the city has told ASM - the company that manages Gila River Arena - not to let team employees or arena vendors into the facility, according to Strang.

A letter from city manager Kevin Phelps to Gutierrez said the team owes Glendale about $250,000 of that amount, with the rest owed to the state.

The Coyotes are entitled to an informal hearing if they request one in writing within 10 days. The Coyotes owe taxes dating back to June 2020, according to the tax lien notice.

Phelps said he apprised NHL commissioner Gary Bettman of the situation Wednesday.

"It was a fairly short conversation," Phelps said, according to PHNX Sports' Craig Morgan. "I told him I was calling as a courtesy to the league because potentially it would impact teams that are making schedule and flight arrangements. I felt like the league should be made aware as soon as possible."

Phelps said Bettman thanked him and said: "This isn't very good news."

The Coyotes' first home game after Dec. 20 is scheduled for three days later versus the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Glendale said in August that it planned to opt out of its lease agreement for Gila River Arena after this season, meaning the Coyotes will need a new building after June 30, 2022.

Two weeks after the city revealed its plans, the team filed a bid for land in nearby Tempe to be the site of a new arena.

The Arizona Coyotes may not find themselves barred from their own building, after all.

On Wednesday evening, The Athletic's Katie Strang reported the city of Glendale told the Coyotes it would lock them out of Gila River Arena if they failed to settle up a significant amount in unpaid fees by Dec. 20.

Last Friday, the Arizona Department of Revenue filed a tax lien notice in Maricopa County against IceArizona Hockey LLC - which owns the NHL club - stating the team owes $1.3 million in state and city taxes, Strang reported.

Later on Wednesday night, the Coyotes blamed the debt on apparent "human error" and said they're looking into it, according to the Arizona Republic's Jose M. Romero.

"We will make sure that by (Thursday) morning, the Arizona Coyotes are current on all of our bills and owe no state or local taxes whatsoever," the team said in a statement. "And we will take immediate steps to ensure that nothing like this can ever possibly happen again."

If the Coyotes fail to settle their debt by the deadline, the city has told ASM - the company that manages Gila River Arena - not to let team employees or arena vendors into the facility, according to Strang.

A letter from city manager Kevin Phelps to Gutierrez said the team owes Glendale about $250,000 of that amount, with the rest owed to the state.

The Coyotes are entitled to an informal hearing if they request one in writing within 10 days. The Coyotes owe taxes dating back to June 2020, according to the tax lien notice.

Phelps said he apprised NHL commissioner Gary Bettman of the situation Wednesday.

"It was a fairly short conversation," Phelps said, according to PHNX Sports' Craig Morgan. "I told him I was calling as a courtesy to the league because potentially it would impact teams that are making schedule and flight arrangements. I felt like the league should be made aware as soon as possible."

Phelps said Bettman thanked him and said: "This isn't very good news."

The Coyotes' first home game after Dec. 20 is scheduled for three days later versus the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Glendale said in August that it planned to opt out of its lease agreement for Gila River Arena after this season, meaning the Coyotes will need a new building after June 30, 2022.

Two weeks after the city revealed its plans, the team filed a bid for land in nearby Tempe to be the site of a new arena.

Why is that team still there after all these years of difficulty with their city & arena?

It's time to add another team in Canada.

Why is that team still there after all these years of difficulty with their city & arena?

It's time to add another team in Canada.
Agreed, however both you and I know that before the Yotes relocate to Canada 🇨🇦, they will be sold to an American billionaire who will either keep them in the desert 🏜 or move them to another big American market such as Houston.

Agreed, however both you and I know that before the Yotes relocate to Canada 🇨🇦, they will be sold to an American billionaire who will either keep them in the desert 🏜 or move them to another big American market such as Houston.
Is AZ’s market that lucrative so as to keep them there? Honest question, I have no idea. I stay out of deserts because they’re deserts.

But I really do prefer to keep ice hockey teams in places where ice can occur, as a rule.

The NHL's Board of Governors unanimously approved the sale of the Pittsburgh Penguins to Fenway Sports Group.

"The purchase remains subject to negotiation and execution of documentation before the transaction can be closed," the league said Thursday.

The new owners signed an agreement to buy a majority interest in the club on Nov. 29. At the time, the sale was subject to league approval and was expected to close by year's end. The purchase price is still unconfirmed.

Previous majority owners Mario Lemieux and Ron Burkle will retain minority shares, and the team's senior management staff will remain in place.

Fenway Sports Group, which also owns MLB's Boston Red Sox and the Premier League's Liverpool, reportedly explored a merger with Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment before pursuing the Penguins. MLSE oversees the NHL's Toronto Maple Leafs, the NBA's Toronto Raptors, MLS' Toronto FC, and Scotiabank Arena.

Lemieux and Burke rescued Pittsburgh from bankruptcy after buying the team in 1999. The Penguins won the Stanley Cup in 2009, 2016, and 2017.

Back