NHL Thread Because There Isn't An NHL Thread

Habs - Oilers game delayed 1 hr because one Oiler was placed on the COVID protocol (seems to be Puljujarvi @Hollywood).

NHL needs the time to test the rest of the Oilers before the game. They say that the player placed on the COVID protocol did not necessarily get a positive test, but may have been in contact. The game is still on at this point.

Article in french:

The virus has infiltrated the North...time to drop all your players on Canadian teams.

Vegas Golden Knights defenseman Alex Pietrangelo will be back in the lineup Thursday versus the Anaheim Ducks, head coach Peter DeBoer announced.

Pietrangelo hasn't played since Jan. 26 and was on the NHL's COVID-19 protocol list after members of Vegas' coaching staff tested positive Jan. 28. There's been no confirmation as to whether Pietrangelo had the virus.

The Golden Knights had a series of games postponed due to COVID-19. Forward Tomas Nosek was pulled from Tuesday's contest versus Anaheim after testing positive, but the rematch is going on as scheduled.

Pietrangelo's appeared in seven games this season, notching four points while averaging over 25 minutes per contest.

While his return is a big boost for the first-place Golden Knights, Vegas won't be at full strength as blue-liner Shea Theodore is day-to-day with an undisclosed injury.

so i get one Vegas guy back and another one is gone

I guess we shall know at 5:00 pm.

The start time of Thursday's Montreal Canadiens-Edmonton Oilers clash has been pushed back from 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. ET as the Oilers await test results after an Edmonton player entered the COVID-19 protocol, the league announced.

The player is unconfirmed at this point, but training staff pulled Jesse Puljujarvi from practice Thursday morning, according to Sportsnet's Mark Spector.

The NHL releases its official COVID-19 list around 5:00 p.m. ET daily.

The Oilers last played Tuesday versus the Ottawa Senators, while the Montreal Canadiens were in action Wednesday against the Toronto Maple Leafs.

There have been several postponements tied to COVID-19 early in the 2021 season, but the North Division has yet to be affected.

At least everyone else tested negative (he's probably negative too. For all we know, this could be a contact tracing thing).
That's true. However for me, it's the fact that I just recently acquired him and he's already out. Plus I dropped a couple of guys from Minny and St. Louis based on their availability or lack therefore and substituted them with two Flyers who are now in the exact same situation. 😒

That's true. However for me, it's the fact that I just recently acquired him and he's already out. Plus I dropped a couple of guys from Minny and St. Louis based on their availability or lack therefore and substituted them with two Flyers who are now in the exact same situation. 😒

My weekly pool is a joke right now too.... I'm able to dress some guys, but frankly they're not my better performing players.

I added Grzelcyk yesterday because he had 3 more games this week, but he is now DTD and played only 11:00 mins and got exactly 0 everything.

The NHL announced its enhanced COVID-19 measures Thursday, which include rapid testing on game days, according to Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman.

Other key protocols include:

• Asking that players remain at home as much as possible (except for practices/games)
  • Recommending household members limit discretionary activities outside the home
  • Use of KN95 masks
  • Mandate that all meetings be held virtually
  • Glass removed from benches and penalty box
There's also a detailed component regarding the reconfiguration of dressing room seating to best protect anyone who hasn't had the virus.

Tuesday's game between the Vegas Golden Knights and Anaheim Ducks continued despite Vegas learning midgame that one of its players tested positive for COVID-19. Forward Tomas Nosek was pulled from the contest after playing over nine minutes and was later placed on the COVID-19 protocol list.

The league has postponed 35 games so far this season, and the majority of clubs have seen at least one player hit the protocol list.

I'm in favor of the NHL working on changing the draft lottery 🎰

It appears the NHL's current draft lottery system will undergo more tweaks in the near future.

Deputy commissioner Bill Daly confirmed Thursday that the league is working on changing the draft lottery, which will be discussed with the Board of Governors when the time is right, reports The Athletic's Pierre LeBrun.

"There are a lot of people around the league that simply felt that a team like (the) Detroit (Red Wings), undergoing a real rebuild, 23 points behind the 30th-place team last year, should not have been picking fourth," LeBrun said on Thursday's edition of TSN's "Insider Trading."

In October, a number of the league's general managers reportedly called on the league to increase the odds of winning the draft lottery for the teams that finish lowest in the standings.

The NHL introduced a weighted lottery system beginning in 2015 to discourage tanking. Since then, the last-place team has chosen first overall twice: the Toronto Maple Leafs in 2016 and the Buffalo Sabres in 2018.

The league has made small tweaks since, giving the bottom-ranked teams higher odds of moving down and other lottery clubs better chances of moving into the top three.

Daly didn't divulge what changes the league is considering.

I'm in favor of the NHL working on changing the draft lottery 🎰

It appears the NHL's current draft lottery system will undergo more tweaks in the near future.

Deputy commissioner Bill Daly confirmed Thursday that the league is working on changing the draft lottery, which will be discussed with the Board of Governors when the time is right, reports The Athletic's Pierre LeBrun.

"There are a lot of people around the league that simply felt that a team like (the) Detroit (Red Wings), undergoing a real rebuild, 23 points behind the 30th-place team last year, should not have been picking fourth," LeBrun said on Thursday's edition of TSN's "Insider Trading."

In October, a number of the league's general managers reportedly called on the league to increase the odds of winning the draft lottery for the teams that finish lowest in the standings.

The NHL introduced a weighted lottery system beginning in 2015 to discourage tanking. Since then, the last-place team has chosen first overall twice: the Toronto Maple Leafs in 2016 and the Buffalo Sabres in 2018.

The league has made small tweaks since, giving the bottom-ranked teams higher odds of moving down and other lottery clubs better chances of moving into the top three.

Daly didn't divulge what changes the league is considering.
Wow, dumb. They instituted the draft lottery to disincentivize tanking and now it's...working too well? The league shouldn't be catering to its worst run teams and GMs.

As always, the only real solution is to abolish the draft.

Wait, what did I miss

Back