Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

SMH

Meanwhile, Chris Christie is bitching that we won't at least open the Canadian border for discretional travel by fully vaccinated Americans (this is in response to a request that the US share more vaccine)... Chris, Chris, Chris... how the fuck are we supposed to know who's fully vaccinated if you won't emit vaccination passports?

I got my first dose of Pfizer the other day. I did get a raised bump at the injection site that calmed down after a day and I also had soreness where I got stuck for a couple of days. However, nothing all that bad as far as side effects. I hope I can say this after the next shot.

Also, I found this article very appropriate:

The mask mandate has been lifted in Massachusetts as of May 28th. Here is what I have noticed when traveling around Massachusetts and visiting family over the long holiday weekend.

In Amherst, a community that is very liberal and has 4 colleges / universities masks were still to be seen everywhere. People walking around on the sidewalks were still wearing them, all staff at stores and restaurants were still wearing them. Most restaurants are still operating in curbside pickup or takeout only. Those that are open still have social distancing seating. It was very hard to find a sit down place open in Amherst to meet up with my Aunt for lunch.

Outside of Amherst and Northampton (which have a reputation in Western Massachusetts as being liberal and places to avoid) there wasn't a mask to see in Western Massachusetts. No staff at restaurants, bars or tap rooms or retails stores were wearing any. Not a single patron of any of these establishments (other than us) had masks on and no one out and about on the streets did.

When we went to a tap room on Sunday and walked in with our masks on we got judged. A table of of people pointed at us and made a comment about our masks and they laughed. Something about "Sheeple" was said.

Only about 30% to 40% of people in the rural towns of Western Massachusetts have been vaccinated. The vaccines are available but people don't want them. They don't want be a "guinea pig for a new vaccine" or are like "I've never gotten a flu shot in my life. I'm not going to get one now just for the rona".

Back here in Salem a lot of stores are still requiring masks. This includes Market Basket (a regional supermarket).

My experience stopping by Market Basket today to stock up on food for the week now that I'm back home was about 25% of the people in the store did not have masks on even though they have signage saying masks still required. A person at the front door telling you have to put a mask on enter and constant PA announcements. But I noticed a lot of people just ripping the mask off after they got past the person at the front door checking. Lots of people were giving the person at the front door shit as well over masks and how it's no longer a state mandate. I saw one guy turn around and leave the store telling them they just lost a customer.

Amherst and Northampton which have a reputation in Western Massachusetts as being liberal and places to avoid
I've visited Northampton plenty of times and love it. Great little city. I dunno why but Iol'ed at this statement.

EDIT: I've got nothing else to add to this other than, you'll notice the loud minority. 1 person saying "sheeple" (bit weird) sticks out compared to 10 in that same business not caring.

I've visited Northampton plenty of times and love it. Great little city. I dunno why but Iol'ed at this statement.

EDIT: I've got nothing else to add to this other than, you'll notice the loud minority. 1 person saying "sheeple" (bit weird) sticks out compared to 10 in that same business not caring.

The Trumpies in rural MA love to poke fun at it over things like it being a sanctuary city, supporting LGBTQ and during COVID, especially over the mask requirements and stricter city restrictions. There is a lot of "That's where the Libs live".

I too lol at hearing Northampton called out like that.

ST. LOUIS -- Brewing company Anheuser-Busch announced Wednesday that it's partnering with the White House to give one free beer to Americans 21+ once 70% of U.S. adults are partially vaccinated.

To date, 62.8% of the adult U.S. population have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine, and 133.6 million are fully vaccinated.

New variant in Vietnam.

Vietnam's health ministry has detected a suspected new coronavirus variant which it said appears to be a hybrid of two highly transmissible strains.
"A new coronavirus variant with characteristics from the existing Indian and UK variants had been detected in Vietnam for the first time," Vietnam's Minister of Health Nguyen Thanh Long told a national news conference Saturday.

I just read a post by someone who left me shaking my head. He was arguing that it's not rural Americans/Republicans who are resisting getting the vaccine. "It's the libs. More specifically Illegals and blacks in urban centers who don't trust the government."

My two aunts, uncle, father and stepfather who are all republicans living in rural areas and big Trumpies all will not be getting the vaccine. If you ask them if they will be getting a vaccine it's a very definitive "Hell No". They don't want to be a guinea pig to a new vaccine. I also believe they object to it because the government is asking them to get it.

While that doesn't represent all rural Americans who lean republican, I'd suspect there are more of them who are resistant to getting a vaccine than "illegals" or "blacks".

I just read a post by someone who left me shaking my head. He was arguing that it's not rural Americans/Republicans who are resisting getting the vaccine. "It's the libs. More specifically Illegals and blacks in urban centers who don't trust the government."

My two aunts, uncle, father and stepfather who are all republicans living in rural areas and big Trumpies all will not be getting the vaccine. If you ask them if they will be getting a vaccine it's a very definitive "Hell No". They don't want to be a guinea pig to a new vaccine. I also believe they object to it because the government is asking them to get it.

While that doesn't represent all rural Americans who lean republican, I'd suspect there are more of them who are resistant to getting a vaccine than "illegals" or "blacks".
Sounds like a pretty racist language based on the delivery of the comments, but demographics-wise, it appears to be fairly accurate as far as vaccine uptake. I don't think anyone can make any meaningful conclusions on WHY there is a demographic split - just speculation:

The rural white Americans live in more sparsely populated areas that are less effected by COVID outbreaks. The greater concern would be getting to maximum vaccine uptake in urban areas and places with higher population density, so hopefully these demographic trends shift soon.

word from co-workers in Taipei:

Taiwan had handled the virus fairly well, and most of the population had no interest in a vaccine since they "had no cases." due to little interest and need, the government got a low amount of doses- and now cases are spiking wildly again. manufacturing plants are grinding to a halt once more, and vast swathes of the population are being made to work from home again, or not work.

similar things happening in Japan as well.

Back