Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

the coronavirus in Denmark has shown a mutation in the virus found in 12 people in the northern part of the country who got infected by minks. Health Minister Magnus Heunicke said half the 783 human COVID-19 cases in northern Denmark ”are related” to mink.

What a bizarre phenomenon.

The United States has broken it's previous record.

We have set a new record for the day with the single most new cases ever today with more than 120,000 new cases national.

Is this where I say USA 🙄

As cases surge supplies of N95 masks are running low.

It's scary to think we could soon be back to where healthcare workers and doctors have to wear the same mask day after day and sanitize it.

No surprises here with it being 2020.

But I got a notice in the mail from my BofA credit card yesterday that the terms and conditions of my credit card have chanGED. They regret to inform that they are no longer able to provide travel insurance as a service for purchases made on with my BofA credit card.

Pfizer says initial data shows that their vaccine candidate is 90% effective.

Last edited:
Pfizer says initial data shows that their vaccine candidate is 90% effective.

Such great news! We have to remain patient because this is the efficacy data. Nothing yet on safety, right? The safety data should take a little longer anyway.

I've been very excited about the mRNA vaccine technology. This would be the first time it's approved in humans (they have been used in veterinary setting for a while though, and it works well). But this has the potential to revolutionize vaccines in general (imagine a flu vaccine that you don't need 6 months in advance to prepare). This may be a huge advancement in technology.

Just heard a report on this on the local 5:00pm news.

Notre Dame is taking action. In addition too everyone rushing the field there were plenty parties after the game.

They have now mandated that all students must produce a negative COVID test to register for next semesters classes. They also will not be allowed to leave campus (minus getting the test) until they produce a negative test.

This does have me wondering though, is that effective. Could they go right away and test negative. Then come down a few days later with COVID-19?

I'm sure a lot of students will try to get the test as soon as possible so they are not effectively quarantined on campus.

Just heard a report on this on the local 5:00pm news.

Notre Dame is taking action. In addition too everyone rushing the field there were plenty parties after the game.

They have now mandated that all students must produce a negative COVID test to register for next semesters classes. They also will not be allowed to leave campus (minus getting the test) until they produce a negative test.

This does have me wondering though, is that effective. Could they go right away and test negative. Then come down a few days later with COVID-19?

I'm sure a lot of students will try to get the test as soon as possible so they are not effectively quarantined on campus.
Yeah, this makes no sense unless they continuously test people.

Hey, we won this Covid thing back in May. Again, I'll never understand why Trump won this state other than people just do not give a damn about their fellow human.

Some issues with the Pfiser vaccine:

The Pfizer vaccine is unusually difficult to ship and store: It is administered in two doses given 28 days apart, has to be stored at temperatures of about minus 100 degrees Fahrenheit and will be delivered in dry ice-packed boxes holding 1,000 to 5,000 doses. These cartons can stay cold enough to keep the doses viable for up to 10 days, according to details provided by the company. The ice can be replenished up to three times. Once opened, the packages can keep the vaccine for five days but can’t be opened more than twice a day. The vaccine can also survive in a refrigerator for five days but can’t be refrozen if unused.

Health officials haven’t figured out how to get the ultracold doses to critical populations living far from cities, according to a ProPublica review of distribution plans obtained through open records laws in every state. Needing to use 1,000 doses within a few days may be fine for large hospital systems or mass vaccination centers. But it could rule out sending the vaccine to providers who don’t treat that many people, even doctors’ offices in cities.

The Pfizer vaccine is unusually difficult to ship and store: It is administered in two doses given 28 days apart, has to be stored at temperatures of about minus 100 degrees Fahrenheit and will be delivered in dry ice-packed boxes holding 1,000 to 5,000 doses. These cartons can stay cold enough to keep the doses viable for up to 10 days, according to details provided by the company. The ice can be replenished up to three times. Once opened, the packages can keep the vaccine for five days but can’t be opened more than twice a day. The vaccine can also survive in a refrigerator for five days but can’t be refrozen if unused.
I've been working with a team on a side project trying to figure out problems related to vials of investigational mRNA vaccines in deep freeze for clinical trials for a year or two now. There are companies that do it, but we're sort of building that capability from scratch at the moment. The types of rules mentioned above about how often you can open freezers, and for how long, make it extremely difficult.

On top of that: if your shipping container is rated for X number of vials to remain frozen for Y number of hours, where do you attach the temperature monitoring device to ensure that no vials thaw on the opposite side of the box (or the middle, or what have you)? Do the facilities who will be receiving this product even have the specialized freezers that maintain the appropriate storage conditions (knowing this is not your average kitchen freezer temp)? If so, are they empty enough to hold the quantities that will be required here? Since the opening/closing frequency is so restrictive, does it need to be a dedicated freezer just for that product? Do you have to have a set number of patients you can treat per day, so that you can plan in advance when the freezer will be open? If your storage capacity is limited, that likely leads to an increased frequency of shipments, meaning an increased risk of temperature excursions in transit.

Many of these freezers are specialized products that load vertically with trays of product, meaning that if you want to pull something out that is on the 2nd tray, you first have to lift the top tray out. How can manufacturers rethink packaging and organization to help HCPs identify what's in the freezer quickly and accurately?

It's a lot to figure out for something that needs to be distributed as widely as this. This may not be something we will end up being able to show up at CVS and ask for at a moment's notice. And the more hoops people have to jump through to get it scheduled, the slower the rollout will be, and the number of people who follow through on it will be smaller.

I just got invited to a 50th birthday bash Saturday at a small bar with some of my lifelong friends. There's like 40 people invited.
What is this, 2019?
Seriously though, I'm amazed and/or stupefied that they think this ok. And how is the bar letting this happen? Sidenote - this same bar already closed once over the summer because nine of their employees had Covid.
There's no way I'm going, but I am irritated that they even set this up. I guess I have to ignore what others do during this and just keep away, as I have been.

Back