Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 8 - February 2020 /// Ibeyi - Ash

I have this album and adore it:

I have lots o' Edith Piaf, duh. But if there is a "must have" of hers, please tell me and I will be sure to get it. There is so much of her stuff out there, deservedly, but it gets overwhelming how much stuff you can find by here.

I also have:

France Gall - Babacar
Several Jacques Brel -3 or 4 different ones (also gets overwhelming so if there is something of his that is a must have, let me know)
George Chelon
Serge Gainsbourg - L'Homme A Tete De Chou, Bonnie and Clyde, Trois Et Quartre
Maurice Chevalier - Portrait of, This Is
La Planete Sauvage soundtrack - Effing LOVE this thing
Sylvie Vartan
Higelin - Alertez Les Bebes
Mireille Mathieu
Gilbert Becaud - a few different, no idea what lol
Francoise Hardy - Star, The Yeh Yeh Girl from Paris
Jean Giraudoux - Pages Choisies
Benjamin Biolay - Volver

How'd I do? What did I miss?

There is a lot to unpack here.

I'd say that if you really like France Gall's Babacar you ought to check her late husband Michel Berger, and maybe particularly his musical Starmania (Celine Dion famously covered Ziggy), but it's full on french 80s pop.

For Brel, my favourite studio record is this one : Jacques Brel - Ne Me Quitte Pas but most of the time his live recording are amazing. He's belgian, but he's also considered one of the greatest writer and singer of the chanson française.

Gainsbourg is also a special case, and a beast with many faces. I highly recommend seeing the movie Gainsbourg (vie héroïque) (see hint #2) because it is a poetic retelling of his life and career and it's great. For records, Melody Nelson is a must have, Jane Birkin/Serge Gainsbourg too for his early career. You're Under Arrest & Love on the beat are also great, but also no longer really "chanson française" per se.

I really like Higelin too, he's a loony, very poetic guy, he started with Brigitte Fontaine, who is the weirdest of the weirdos, but also an amazing writer. I guess the musicality of the lyrics are enticing, but really the play on words and the poetry if it kinda needs to be fluent in french to fully appreciate in my view.

For Françoise Hardy, I really like this one : Françoise Hardy - Françoise Hardy and her debut : Françoise Hardy - Françoise Hardy

Hope that helps you to expand ! :)

Eek this thread exploded overnight!

source.gif

I am adding a new guess The Killers - Hot Fuss because :

Hint #1 - Released in @ChristoBee lifetime > Yes, 2004
Hint #2 - Je Bois / I drink > Brandon Flowers is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and it doesn't allow to drink alcohol
Hint #3 - Small picture of a girl with a red flower > Brandon Flowers
Hint #4 - Zuma Rock > Gives the record genre, rock
Hint #5 - Frida Kahlo with flowers headband > Brandon Flowers (typical @ChristoBee move to take us back on the right path)
Hint #6 - Mentionned on the N&G forum lest than 10 times > doesn't work, damn it!!!

1578056350110.png

I am adding a new guess The Killers - Hot Fuss because :

Hint #1 - Released in @ChristoBee lifetime > Yes, 2004
Hint #2 - Je Bois / I drink > Brandon Flowers is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and it doesn't allow to drink alcohol
Hint #3 - Small picture of a girl with a red flower > Brandon Flowers
Hint #4 - Zuma Rock > Gives the record genre, rock
Hint #5 - Frida Kahlo with flowers headband > Brandon Flowers (typical @ChristoBee move to take us back on the right path)
Hint #6 - Mentionned on the N&G forum lest than 10 times > doesn't work, damn it!!!

View attachment 28304

Nice try.

I'm going away this week-end to Paris to coach my roller derby team for their first games of the year. I won't be giving out hints this WE so :

AotM that could have been #2 : Whats Going On - The Dirty Dozen Brass Band

R-1387958-1215339952.jpeg.jpg

I really almost picked this record as my AotM, because it highlighted my love for brass bands and New Orleans music. I recently picked up the debut of the Dirty Dozen, and I'm in the processof trying to collect every record they made that was issued on vinyl.

This one is a special one, as the title and cover suggests it is a cover album of Marvin Gaye's album of the same title. And as Gaye wrote Whats Going On as a political record, the intent behind this Dirty Dozen record is also political and a hommage to New Orleans resilience in the face of hurricane Katrina. The guests as are stellar and the music beautifully reimagined.

It somehow inspired the pick of the actual AotM as I wanted to choose a record with a strong political message (and great musical qualities too).

I went on this brass band territory first because I would have loved to pick Youngblood Brass Band's center : level : roar but it is very hard to buy a copy for less than 50$ on discogs currently and there are no reissue campaing planned.

Whats Going On has been reissued on Pure Pleasure and in stock on their website. If you like it, you know that a Pure Pleasure package is top notch.

Further listening :

Last edited:
I'm going away this week-end to Paris to coach my roller derby team for their first games of the year. I won't be giving out hints this WE so :

AotM that could have been #2 : Whats Going On - The Dirty Dozen Brass Band

View attachment 28311

I really almost picked this record as my AotM, because it highlighted my love for brass bands and New Orleans music. I recently picked up the debut of the Dirty Dozen, and I'm in the processof trying to collect avery record they made that was issued on vinyl.

This one is a special one, as the title and cover suggests it is a cover album of Marvin Gaye's album of the same title. And as Gaye wrote Whats Going On as a political record, the intent behind this Dirty Dozen record is also political and a hommage to New Orleans resilience in the face of hurricane Katrina. The guests as are stellar and the music beautifully reimagined.

It somehow inspired the pick of the actual AotM as I wanted to choose a record with a strong political message (and great musical qualities too).

I went on this brass band territory first because I would have loved to pick Youngblood Brass Band's center : level : roar but it is very hard to buy a copy for less than 50$ on discogs currently and there are no reissue campaing planned.

Whats Going On has been reissued on Pure Pleasure and in stock on their website. If you like it, you know that a Pure Pleasure package is top notch.

Further listening :

This is amazing! NOLA brass bands are just so fun. I went to see the Dirty Dozen in Northern VA. It was while the residents of Katrina were still not allowed back into the city. There was a family from NOLA there. I chatted with them a bit. They were staying with family but just really wanted to get home. They had a son, around 12. When the band started playing, I watched that small child, who should not have to live through such things, dance his feelings out on the floor. It was beautiful and it was one of the more powerful moments in my life.

This is amazing! NOLA brass bands are just so fun. I went to see the Dirty Dozen in Northern VA. It was while the residents of Katrina were still not allowed back into the city. There was a family from NOLA there. I chatted with them a bit. They were staying with family but just really wanted to get home. They had a son, around 12. When the band started playing, I watched that small child, who should not have to live through such things, dance his feelings out on the floor. It was beautiful and it was one of the more powerful moments in my life.

I would really LOVE to see the Dirty Dozen live. I've seen Youngblood twice as they tour Europe every now and then, but I have yet to catch a proper NOLA Brass Band gig.

I guess I will have to actually go there. But it's on my bucket list anyway.

Back