Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 50 - August 2023 /// Lula Reed - Blue and Moody

View attachment 178375

Lula Reed certainly has a unique voice, in a good way. It took a few tracks to get fully into the groove, and after reading the liner notes, it is really jiving with me now!
Great choice for the AotM!
Awesome...and now I can finally post mine too! She does have a unique voice, but I also think it really works with this material. Glad you're enjoying it.

protip - Red Eye Distro does Yep Roc and Sundazed distribution. I don't think I have ever gotten a shipping notice from Sundazed. If you ordered this directly from Sundazed and have a mystery package from Hillsborough in your informed delivery, it is probably this.

There is something about albums like this that I have a harder time getting into on a digital medium, but as soon as I hear it on wax it's a completely different experience. It could be all in my head -- it's obvious even with the great recording that this is from the analog era -- but it feels wrong on streaming and I don't enjoy it. On vinyl it transports me, and I imagine sitting in a smoke-filled club sipping on a whiskey while watching the show on stage. It's purely an artifact of movies and television that this image is conjured, but the effect is pleasing regardless.

Back