Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 47 - May 2023 /// Ages and Ages "Me You They We"

Questions 10-12 (from me)

10) What are your favorite things about Portland?

A&A: Portland has changed a lot, mostly because a tv show was made about it and then a bunch of people starting moving here and everyone got priced out. BUT. I love the food culture and the proximity to the mountains and the ocean and great hikes. Also, there is a culture here that exists from a hundred years of being ignored by the rest of the country that I can only explain as an attitude that people have to get it done by whatever means available. People out here take a wood pallet and a microphone and start a music venue. People out here put a lobster roll in ice cream and suddenly the NYTimes is writing about it. It’s kinda crazy.

11) Will there be a vinyl repress of your first album, "Alright You Restless"?

A&A: I would love that. But sadly, there are no plans for that. Although I think we have a few “tour” vinyls of Aright You Restless. That is, same vinyl but with a limited edition different cover (which frankly isn’t as spectacular as the original, but it’s neat).

12) What can you tell us about the album that you're currently working on?

A&A: Very excited about it. We actually just spent four days in the studio last week - yet another reason why it’s taken me so long to get to these questions (thanks for your patience). If you only heard our first record and the record that we’re working on now, you’d probably be a little confused. But the truth is, we’ve been growing and evolving our way toward where we are now, record by record. I mentioned this to Eric earlier, but I think the thing that ties our music together through the year is our effort to work through some fairly dark topics honestly, with fists clenched and hopeful hearts. I think this record is going to have a lot of bass hooks.

Thank you for doing this interview for us, @Ericj32! This was one of my favorite reads because even though they've had more success than some bands I know personally, they still are within that working class band vibe and sound like they'd be fun normal blokes to hang out with. And thanks to everyone who asked great questions.

I don't usually know what to ask with these things, but I got a real kick out of several answers and have some new music to go hunt down now.

I'm looking forward to their next album and if they do post up those tour copies of their first album and you happen to see them, I'd love a tag!

Back