Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 4 - October 2019 /// Camarón de la isla - La leyenda del tiempo

@Teeeee, I'm gonna throw out a guess of:

Muddy Waters - Hard Again

Hard_Again_LP%2C_Muddy_Waters.jpg

Lyrics, pre-1982, played Montreux in 1977, this was released on MOV in 1977 (Eindhoven links), Blues (new genre) hasn't been done as AOTM yet

PSV Eindhoven won the UEFA Cup in 1977-1978 season (only UEFA championship win they've had in club history).

Perhaps this points to an artist whose release was this timeframe or maybe an artist's discography that performed at Montreux during these years?

Didn’t they win the European Cup (as the Champions League was known pre 1992) in the mid-late 80s? I’m thinking 1988. Of course that’s too late for this but endless football knowledge that I don’t need is kinda my calling card...

Didn’t they win the European Cup (as the Champions League was known pre 1992) in the mid-late 80s? I’m thinking 1988. Of course that’s too late for this but endless football knowledge that I don’t need is kinda my calling card...

NO IDEA. This is all based on Wikipedia, so if I'm wrong, blame the Wiki page! I'm an American who does not follow Euro football closely at all so this is just me trying to link things together based on the Eindhoven clue.

NO IDEA. This is all based on Wikipedia, so if I'm wrong, blame the Wiki page!

Checked! I was right it is on there 😜

Becuase it’s pre the rebrand to UEFA Champions League it’s just listed as European Cup (which old curmudgeons like me resolutely still call the competition).

I can still pointlessly name every European champion by year...

Oh what I could have done with that memory space...

Checked! I was right it is on there 😜

Becuase it’s pre the rebrand to UEFA Champions League it’s just listed as European Cup (which old curmudgeons like me resolutely still call the competition).

I can still pointlessly name every European champion by year...

Oh what I could have done with that memory space...
My brother met a guy at a pub in London who said he could name the starting XI of all national teams in the World Cup from 1990 on.
His friends where like: Oh yeah? You're so smart? What was the starting XI of the Mexican National Team in WC 94? The guy instantly replied: Mexico didn't qualify to that World Cup, which is a fact that, being Mexican, I wouldn't have remembered until 5 minutes or so later.

Edit: It was '90, not '94

Last edited:
My brother met a guy at a pub in London who said he could name the starting XI of all national teams in the World Cup from 1990 on.
His friends where like: Oh yeah? You're so smart? What was the starting XI of the Mexican National Team in WC 94? The guy instantly replied: Mexico didn't qualify to that World Cup, which is a fact that, being Mexican, I wouldn't have remembered until 5 minutes or so later.

Mexico did qualify for USA 94! That was the year of Campos and his, errr, interesting Goalie kits! USA 94 was my first proper World Cup (I remember Italia 90 happening, Ireland in the quarters/England in the semis/Gazza’s tears, but not the matches) and despite the football being almost universally terrible I have an enormous fondness for it!

Mexico did qualify for USA 94! That was the year of Campos and his, errr, interesting Goalie kits! USA 94 was my first proper World Cup (I remember Italia 90 happening, Ireland in the quarters/England in the semis/Gazza’s tears, but not the matches) and despite the football being almost universally terrible I have an enormous fondness for it!
You're absolutely right, I meant '90.

I loved Campos and his kits! I used to wear them at least once a week to school to the degree that my classmates started calling me Campos instead of Arnoldo.

You're absolutely right, I meant '90.

I loved Campos and his kits! I used to wear them at least once a week to school to the degree that my classmates started calling me Campos instead of Arnoldo.

I had this Ireland kit for the same World Cup and loved it! I think we were wearing this when Mexico beat us in the group stages that year...

It’s really funny England & Scotland didn’t qualify for that one and everyone in England at the time seemed to want Ireland to do well, the other way around and that would not be happening...

513D0516-7455-49EE-97C5-92ED968A887B.jpeg

I had this Ireland kit for the same World Cup and loved it! I think we were wearing this when Mexico beat us in the group stages that year...

It’s really funny England & Scotland didn’t qualify for that one and everyone in England at the time seemed to want Ireland to do well, the other way around and that would not be happening...

View attachment 16068
We need to bring those early 90's kits back. There were some terrible kit designs in that era, but there were some gems that are still to be surpased.

Back