Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 36 - June 2022 /// Mexico City Blondes - Blush

So glad to hear it!! Not too many at all:

1.) Oh yeah, lots were very different early on. Since we don't have a "band" that we write and work out the songs with, the production is always in flux. The one that probably changed the most was "Reasons Why". We actually wrote that track in like a basement studio at this middle school in Silverlake, Los Angeles with this great canadian guy and electro producer named Sam. He originally took the lead on the production and it was good. Had a very 80s tilt to it. He opted not to release on his record but we still really loved the song but felt like the vibe was way too different to include on Blush so I stripped it all back, just kept the vocal and rebuilt the track from the ground up to sound more like how we would've done it. Our collaborator, Sam, really loved how that came out which I was pleased and relieved about :)

2.) I love films but always blank when having to think back about my favorites! I'm a very visual person so I think when working on songs I have some kind of a visual idea in mind. One film that I loved recently was "Drive My Car". It's based on a short story by Haruki Murakami who is one of my favorite contemporary authors. The film adaptation moved me deeply. I've been thinking about it for weeks now. Not for everyone most likely, but I found it beautiful and deeply affecting.

3.) I feel like the first music I really connected with as a young kid (maybe like 1st - 2nd grade era) was musicals actually. I remember having a cassette tape of the original cast recording of "West Side Story" and I wore that tape out. I loved the songs and I remember trying to work out the melodies on our neighbor's piano at the time. That was the first music I can recall that really moved me to try and get inside it and replicate it. I got into rock music later on. My mom used to always play like Zeppelin IV and Dark Side of the Moon so those drew me in pretty hard.
2.) Greg--I'm not sure I knew you also love Haruki Murakami. He is near the top of my list too. xx
The film I saw lately that stuck with me recently was "Don't Look Up". I definitely err on the side of cynical when it comes to lyrics/subject matter, so I appreciated the slant.

3.) Vividly impacted by Dire Straits and The Everly Brothers thanks to my parents. Also musicals--Annie, Grease, The Sound of Music, Wizzard of OZ, omg Fiddler on the Roof. I've got to make sure I've fully appreciated West Side Story

Really love the music you all have made so far. Blush is such a vibe. I can listen to it while doing just about anything so thank you for that!

My question is a selfish one....I've been spinning this record for some years now, and have to know...Is the next album coming soon?!
Hey Jonathan, I take the blame for not producing new albums quickly. Greg is an absolute machine and he has enviable creative ideas. Since I'm a super literal person and songwriting is no exception, I always tell him I have to wait for life to happen before I can write about it. I'm not sure if everyone is aware that Blush is actually our sophomore release, you can check out our first self-titled album in the meantime and I really hope it's enjoyable too, I love it

Hey Jonathan, I take the blame for not producing new albums quickly. Greg is an absolute machine and he has enviable creative ideas. Since I'm a super literal person and songwriting is no exception, I always tell him I have to wait for life to happen before I can write about it. I'm not sure if everyone is aware that Blush is actually our sophomore release, you can check out our first self-titled album in the meantime and I really hope it's enjoyable too, I love it
Everything that is worth anything takes time. I respect that 🙌🔥

Aww thanks Allie. I think we'd both been creatively stuck a little bit with the pandemic. When it first arrived, I thought, well at least I'll have lots of time to work on music and I did! But... I just ended up spinning my wheels and didn't have much inspiration because there wasn't much life to live then. I feel like recently though I have turned a corner and am actually putting some things together that I really love again. Hopefully Allie catches the same spark and we'll be on our way :)
What/Whose are the two amazing houses (maybe the same?) in the videos for Fade and Addio?
I love the house in the Fade video. I have a good friend in SB here that used to housesit at that place and we would party there a lot when she would. When the time came to film a video, the director wanted a mid-century modern and I was like.... ahhh I know just the spot. Fortunately the owners were fans of the song and incredibly accommodating. Allie did all the work on that shoot, I had a blast just drinking poolside with all our local friends who we cast in the video and occasionally asking the director if he needed anything from me (he mostly did not). The interior shots for the Addio vid were actually done at a set in downtown LA. The rest of that video is shot throughout LA and the beach was North Malibu near Point Dume. Shoutout to both directors, Tom Kenney and Anisha Sisodia. Hope to work with them again someday!

Thanks everyone for a great AMA! We can't tell you how much we appreciate your interest in us and our music. We hope the songs stay near and dear to you. Until next time friends...

Back