Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 35 - May 2022 /// Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue

just so i can get it with free shipping instead of paying 10 bucks to acoustic sounds or blue note for a single album.. what else would you recommend me getting from AS.. either additional things to try out or other entryway into jazz

just so i can get it with free shipping instead of paying 10 bucks to acoustic sounds or blue note for a single album.. what else would you recommend me getting from AS.. either additional things to try out or other entryway into jazz
Joe Henderson (feat. Alice Coltrane) - The Elements

Same price as the AotM on Acoustic Sounds.

There are plenty of options.

Probably in a tie with Midnight Blue for my all time favourite Blue Note album:

If you wanna stick with guitar jazz, this is a great choice:

Some other options that are definitely in my top 10 Blue Note Albums:

these are all excellent selections.

thanks for the choices.. i have actually heard moanin and it had a good mood but wasn't really winning me over as someone who kinda is not the normal jazz listener (but for an ROTM i will be willing to try out something different)..

i might just accept acoustic sounds 10 dollar ground shipping... or worse.. amazon shipping

thanks for the choices.. i have actually heard moanin and it had a good mood but wasn't really winning me over as someone who kinda is not the normal jazz listener (but for an ROTM i will be willing to try out something different)..

i might just accept acoustic sounds 10 dollar ground shipping... or worse.. amazon shipping
From the choices above, Somethin' Else is probably the easiest to get into. If you don't like it, I'll doubt you'll ever really get into Jazz (maybe I'm being a bit too pessimistic there).

Not sure what kind of music you usually listen to, but if you don't want Jazz you could also check out the new 50th anniversary Marvin Gaye what's Going on reissue, mastered by Kevin Gray. And there are a ton of great pressings of all kinds of genres at Acoustic Sounds from what I can see. Not that I would ever advocate for spending more money on records than necessary 😅

Giving this a spin this morning, thanks for the pick that got me to spend some real time with this record, @Speedracer . All too many times the great albums feel like they fall short of their legacy, hype can do that. Then there are the albums like this that surpass your high expectations. Also, since Burrell is really the only member of the band I am familiar with… so now I have a nice rabbit hole to explore.

I just finally got a copy of this album after streaming it a few times and even my wife has been enjoying it a lot. Great ⛏️!
In news that is totally unrelated to this post or thread, I have been listening to a good deal of your face recently.

Back