Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 25 - July 2021 // Dota - Kaleko

I'm working on things and reasons,

but new guess is
Imarhan - self-titled (2016)

for now.

I thought myself out of Imarhan for some reason (can't remember though - it's been "a day"), but I would be happy to be wrong for having done so.

I'm on page 27 of 64 if you want to start from 64 and work backwards haha (or you might catch something I missed since my eyes are glazing over)
Been a few hours since I've looked. Was squeezing a page in between appointments earlier.

Gonna be another hour or so before I cam return to it, but I will definitely start at the other end when I do knowing this!

Reactions: Jan
I made it through page 50 and never saw it but I need to go to bed now haha.
At this point I'm presuming the clue is not the actual logo and we are taking it too literally, or it's one of the labels without a logo attached to it.

When I did a Google search on the image it only brought up instrumentalism which is why your Frames guess resonated with me - but I can't seem to reconcile that with it being a label clue. (also, I like the album - so at the very least, thanks for pulling that up!)

If You find out who the guy on the lower photo in my clue is you should easily find the poet and the album from that

This is another album I've come across while searching - but it appears to only be available on CD.

German-language poems (Eichendorff, Rilke, Goethe, Lenau, Rudolf Baumbach, and Friedrich Halm) sung in German over light modern classical compositions.

Reactions: Jan
It's this one- haha:

Dota – Kaléko (2020, Vinyl)

EDIT: You can see the logo from clue #9 on the image of the back cover - it's really small in the lower, right corner. haha Trying to figure out the rest of the clues now.

Mascha Kaléko was a poet (Clue #10) who was married to Chemjo Vinaver (who was in the last image in Clue #12). All of the lyrics on this album are credited to Mascha Kaléko, and they're all in German.

Last edited:
It's this one- haha:

Dota – Kaléko (2020, Vinyl)

EDIT: You can see the logo from clue #9 on the image of the back cover - it's really small in the lower, right corner. haha Trying to figure out the rest of the clues now.

Mascha Kaléko was a poet (Clue #10) who was married to Chemjo Vinaver (who was in the last image in Clue #12). All of the lyrics on this album are credited to Mascha Kaléko, and they're all in German.
tenor.gif

Ok this is where I'm at so far with matching up the clues:

Dota - Kaléko (2020)

Clue #1: [not sure how pagliacci's vesti la giubba relates to this]
Clue #2: [not sure how barry manilow's "mandy"]
Clue #3: no idea how the knack's "my sharona" relates
Clue #4: no idea who this guy is
Clue #5: dancing doctors?
Clue #6: not sure about the Ellis & Tom connection
Clue #7: I think the label is based in Kreuzberg - I found this address on the label's website: Wrangelstr. 84, 10997 Berlin - which appears to be in Kreuzberg
Clue #8: Album is sung entirely in German
Clue #9: That logo appears on the back of the album but I can't find it anywhere else on the internet. The label is Kleingeldprinzessin, and I don't see it on the label's website, but maybe I'm missing something haha
Clue #10: Mascha Kaléko was a German poet and all of the lyrics on this album are credited to her!
Clue #11: Discogs lists 3 variants: 1 LP release and 2 CD releases
Clue #12: The last image is Chemjo Vinaver, who was married to Mascha Kaléko.

I've been listening to it and it's really interesting. Some of the songs are kind of playful and some are more somber, but Dota Kehr's voice is really nice and she collaborated with a lot of talented musicians and singers. Great pick, Jan!

EDIT: Clue #6 is maybe that both albums are full of duets/collaborations?

Ok this is where I'm at so far with matching up the clues:

Dota - Kaléko (2020)

Clue #1: [not sure how pagliacci's vesti la giubba relates to this]
Clue #2: [not sure how barry manilow's "mandy"]
Clue #3: no idea how the knack's "my sharona" relates
Clue #4: no idea who this guy is
Clue #5: dancing doctors?
Clue #6: not sure about the Ellis & Tom connection
Clue #7: I think the label is based in Kreuzberg - I found this address on the label's website: Wrangelstr. 84, 10997 Berlin - which appears to be in Kreuzberg
Clue #8: Album is sung entirely in German
Clue #9: That logo appears on the back of the album but I can't find it anywhere else on the internet. The label is Kleingeldprinzessin, and I don't see it on the label's website, but maybe I'm missing something haha
Clue #10: Mascha Kaléko was a German poet and all of the lyrics on this album are credited to her!
Clue #11: Discogs lists 3 variants: 1 LP release and 2 CD releases
Clue #12: The last image is Chemjo Vinaver, who was married to Mascha Kaléko.

I've been listening to it and it's really interesting. Some of the songs are kind of playful and some are more somber, but Dota Kehr's voice is really nice and she collaborated with a lot of talented musicians and singers. Great pick, Jan!
Clues 1 to 3 i got from playback.fm
Clues 4-6 relate to the artist biography
What about the other pictures in clue 12

Back