Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 1 - July 2019 Lou Reed - The Blue Mask

Maybe 1 or 2 more clues next week but I’m going to post swaption options over the next few days. For her great contributions to this thread would @duke86fan like to suggest a genre that I will pick as swaption 1
Id say some proto punk would work pretty well for this.. Lou Reed was influential to punk and there is a hard no fucks given sound to a lot of the blue mask. Though with the slower moments maybe some post punk

Ok, Swaption 1 - Alice Cooper - Killer

Before Alice was welcoming you to nightmares, before he was a solo star, he wasn’t a he but a band. The Alice Cooper band were a freaky little unit picked up by Frank Zappa who reach their pinacle as a rocking unit at this stage. Vince Furnier’s still got his great voice but his persona here is just as outrageous as the later ghost n’ ghoul version, in fact the make up and pretty boy posturing version was probably more divisive to middle America.
This album has the band at their peak, presaging many music styles, but their nastyiness and sleaze suggests punk. You Drive Me Nervous is pure sleaze from riff downward. Halo Of Flies with its disorientating riffing predicts later power metal but is underplayed by a simplicity in its precision. Alice Cooper is a great band at this stage, and this is a great band album. That version of Under My Wheels on Whistle Test is a great glam stomper performed by a bunch of glammed up outsiders (and what is Alice doing with the mic in this performance) and this album is in 1971, 2 years before the New York Dolls, 6 before the Sex Pistols. Dead Babies still shocks (and thrills). Take that class of 77.
This isn’t just a pioneering, important and undervalued album. It also sounds great. Well worth picking up if you don’t have it yet. A great alternative to this month’s album of the month, an even better companion to it. Proto-punk? It’s one of John Lydon’s favourites. And mine.

6058D323-149E-47C1-9475-09BBB71CD339.jpeg

Thanks @duke86fan for a great genre suggestion.

Ok, Swaption 1 - Alice Cooper - Killer

Before Alice was welcoming you to nightmares, before he was a solo star, he wasn’t a he but a band. The Alice Cooper band were a freaky little unit picked up by Frank Zappa who reach their pinacle as a rocking unit at this stage. Vince Furnier’s still got his great voice but his persona here is just as outrageous as the later ghost n’ ghoul version, in fact the make up and pretty boy posturing version was probably more divisive to middle America.
This album has the band at their peak, presaging many music styles, but their nastyiness and sleaze suggests punk. You Drive Me Nervous is pure sleaze from riff downward. Halo Of Flies with its disorientating riffing predicts later power metal but is underplayed by a simplicity in its precision. Alice Cooper is a great band at this stage, and this is a great band album. That version of Under My Wheels on Whistle Test is a great glam stomper performed by a bunch of glammed up outsiders (and what is Alice doing with the mic in this performance) and this album is in 1971, 2 years before the New York Dolls, 6 before the Sex Pistols. Dead Babies still shocks (and thrills). Take that class of 77.
This isn’t just a pioneering, important and undervalued album. It also sounds great. Well worth picking up if you don’t have it yet. A great alternative to this month’s album of the month, an even better companion to it. Proto-punk? It’s one of John Lydon’s favourites. And mine.

View attachment 6978

Thanks @duke86fan for a great genre suggestion.

I think it's sad that so many people seem to only know School's Out and have never heard most of what's on Killer and Love it to Death. Both are incredible albums in my opinion.

I will say I am still anti-swap picks, maybe someone would like to pick one of the "swaps" as their AotM but will feel awkward doing so or be forced to think of something else when they had their "perfect" pick

I’m cool to leave it here if anyone else feels this way. Don’t want to be picking up anyone else’s picks

How about swaptions be the previous 4 picks in @Bohnjaggs' Listening Club thread? A month's worth of picks over there will offer plenty of variety and somewhere to discuss them, leaving this three dedicated to the ROTM.

I’m cool with whatever. Not trying to force any of you to buy something you don’t want.

Apart from the album of the month. You MUST buy it. No choice

I will say I am still anti-swap picks, maybe someone would like to pick one of the "swaps" as their AotM but will feel awkward doing so or be forced to think of something else when they had their "perfect" pick

I’m cool to leave it here if anyone else feels this way. Don’t want to be picking up anyone else’s picks

How about swaptions be the previous 4 picks in @Bohnjaggs' Listening Club thread? A month's worth of picks over there will offer plenty of variety and somewhere to discuss them, leaving this thread dedicated to the ROTM.

I’m cool with whatever. Not trying to force any of you to buy something you don’t want.

Apart from the album of the month. You MUST buy it. No choice

Here a novel idea, why don’t we just leave it up to the person picking the AOTM. If they want to offer up a couple of swaps for fun then what the hell, let them. If they don’t then equally it’s all good. Lets just be casual and have fun and not overthink this!

Here’s what I will do, if you don’t have the AOTM get it. If you do, send me a private message on here and i’ll personally pick something for you based on your genre selection/Discogs. But do get the AOTM.

I’m a teacher on my Summer holidays next month so i’m Happy enough to go along with such a hair brained misadventure

I’m a teacher on my Summer holidays next month so i’m Happy enough to go along with such a hair brained misadventure

Do you just get the 6/7 weeks same as I used to get in England or do you get the insane 3 months they have down here?

Also I’m scared to see just how many hair metal albums can be bought over a summer by a bored teacher off work and with nothing better to do...

Do you just get the 6/7 weeks same as I used to get in England or do you get the insane 3 months they have down here?

Also I’m scared to see just how many hair metal albums can be bought over a summer by a bored teacher off work and with nothing better to do...

6/7 weeks. Good point on the buying of albums. Watch my Discogs explode like i’ve Poured water over a mogwai

I see you have 21 Bob Dylan albums while I only have a measly 18. Maybe my Summer will be based on rectifying that.

Back