Needles and Grooves AotM /// Vol 55 - January 2024 /// Little Wings - Wonderue

My SO just got a Switch for her birthday last week so we have been playing a lot of Super Mario Brothers Wonder lately.

Most of these video games are Nintendo related :

Mi5qcGVn.jpeg

I can’t remember the last time I played a video game.
We mostly play retro games. Rarely anything newer than Super Nintendo or Sega Genesis. The Switch came with Super Smash Brothers and we are both like 4 year olds with that one, just smashing buttons. Mario Wonder and Mario Kart though are both still a lot of fun.

We mostly play retro games. Rarely anything newer than Super Nintendo or Sega Genesis. The Switch came with Super Smash Brothers and we are both like 4 year olds with that one, just smashing buttons. Mario Wonder and Mario Kart though are both still a lot of fun.
I think War of the Monsters was the last game I got excited about. There was a Miyazaki rpg. but that seemed like work when I played it for an hour or two. Lol

Super Nintendo is the best

So here's what I'm thinking:

From Discogs:
The man behind the band Little Wings is Kyle Field. Field was born in Alabama, the son of a college football coach, but his family quickly moved to California where he grew up to love surfing and skateboarding.
Kyle Field is also where the Texas A&M Aggies play.
Kid Icarus has little wings.
The Shredder is the name of a song from the first album. It's about a skater.
Shredder Sequel features on Wonderue and Return of the Jedi is a sequel. The song is about an older skater (not unlike Tony Hawk).
Wonderue is from 2002. The opening track is Filled with Wonder.
And TLK is a fan.
DAY 20 – Speaker Hugger
Spin an album you feel that way about.

Little Wings - Wonderue
View attachment 37099

I suppose there are lots of reasons to wanna give someone (or something) a hug; Love, Empathy, Sadness, Celebration, Hello’s, Goodbyes, etc... this record kinda covers all the bases. Plus who deserves a hug more than “The Shredder”

I've never seen elephant Mario before. I guess I need a Nintendo.
He’s new. Super Mario Wonder is a lot of fun. It takes place in a new kingdom “The Flower Kingdom” which allows the creators to color outside the lines a bit. We prefer the side scrollers to the 3D Mario games and since the last system we purchased was the Nintendo Wii there are a few new ones that we need to catch up on. The best part so far about Mario Wonder is this weird mode in each level that if you unlock, it’s like you start tripping. The music and lighting changes and different seemingly random stuff starts to happen like the scenery come alive. Good fun if Mario is your thing.

So here's what I'm thinking:

From Discogs:

Kyle Field is also where the Texas A&M Aggies play.
Kid Icarus has little wings.
The Shredder is the name of a song from the first album. It's about a skater.
Shredder Sequel features on Wonderue and Return of the Jedi is a sequel. The song is about an older skater (not unlike Tony Hawk).
Wonderue is from 2002. The opening track is Filled with Wonder.
And TLK is a fan.
Well Done!

I had another round of clues ready based around Little Wings involvement with K records…
IMG_9958.jpeg
Kurt has a “K Records” tattoo
IMG_9957.jpeg
The founder of K Record, Calvin Johnson
IMG_9955.jpeg
Kyle appears on Microphones album Mount Eerie…
IMG_9956.jpeg
…as a character named “Big Black Death”.

It’s all Google I have to admit. I wasn’t really familiar with them at all but when I saw the Aggies played at Kyle Field I figured it had to be too big a coincidence that there was a musician with the same name!
I'm impressed, I hadn't gotten nearly that far with the clues. Excellent sleuthing!

Back