Needles and Grooves AotM /// Vol 55 - January 2024 /// Little Wings - Wonderue

This is very interesting. I never heard of Little Wings but I used to follow K Records thanks to Mirah first albums. If some of you are planning to purchase our ROTM from the label, I suggest adding C'Mon Miracle and/or Advisory Committee.

This is very interesting. I never heard of Little Wings but I used to follow K Records thanks to Mirah first albums. If some of you are planning to purchase our ROTM from the label, I suggest adding C'Mon Miracle and/or Advisory Committee.
Unfortunately the K records pressings are long out of print. They should definitely check out Mirah and Microphones and Karl Blau though when they get a chance.

Unfortunately the K records pressings are long out of print. They should definitely check out Mirah and Microphones and Karl Blau though when they get a chance.
<coincidence>
i just saw Karl Blau opening and supporting Laura Veirs the night after the Dublin riots, 2 weeks ago exactly!
the room was half empty, which was sad to see, but Karl and Laura are no nice together and warmed up the place almost instantly.

<coincidence>
i just saw Karl Blau opening and supporting Laura Veirs the night after the Dublin riots, 2 weeks ago exactly!
the room was half empty, which was sad to see, but Karl and Laura are no nice together and warmed up the place almost instantly.
Nice! My favorite Blau song is “Before Telling Dragons”. I should really check out some of his newer stuff.

Nice! My favorite Blau song is “Before Telling Dragons”. I should really check out some of his newer stuff.

LOL! So I decided to look and see if the album that includes this track was available on vinyl and Discogs had one copy available domestically being sold by the Seattle Goodwill for $10. I jumped on that one.

it's weird, this record definitely brings me the feeling of music discovery that i was experiencing around the early aughts when i was finishing up college. this album came out around then, and i don't recall ever hearing it or of little wings, but this was among the kinds of music i was getting into, either on my own or through different groups of people in my life. bands like black heart procession, devendra banhart, king kong, dirty three, yo la tengo, silver mt. zion, a bunch of others i'd come up with if i thought about it more... in short, i like this a lot. it's oddly, nostalgically comforting.

song: when you know love

it's weird, this record definitely brings me the feeling of music discovery that i was experiencing around the early aughts when i was finishing up college. this album came out around then, and i don't recall ever hearing it or of little wings, but this was among the kinds of music i was getting into, either on my own or through different groups of people in my life. bands like black heart procession, devendra banhart, king kong, dirty three, yo la tengo, silver mt. zion, a bunch of others i'd come up with if i thought about it more... in short, i like this a lot. it's oddly, nostalgically comforting.

song: when you know love
Well said. I had much of the same experience. I discovered this record via Little Wings follow up album, Light Green Leaves that was released the same year.. That album I discovered in the mid-00s after reevaluating some on Pitchforks early 00s album of the year lists and falling in love with Microphones - The Glow, Pt. 2 and then traveling down a Microphones/K Records rabbit hole. Had Light Green Leaves been in print I would’ve likely chosen that album. I enjoy it a tiny bit more and has an interesting premise in that the album was released on Cassette Tape, Vinyl, and CD but each medium contains a different version of the album. The Tape version being the rawest demos, the record being a bit more fleshed out, and the CD being the finished product. Funny enough, they would later repress the the CD version on vinyl so I own two copies on vinyl the original pressing and the reissue.

Anyways, I am glad you enjoyed it and here is a video of Kyle singing a cut from Light Green Leaves with Feist.

LOL! So I decided to look and see if the album that includes this track was available on vinyl and Discogs had one copy available domestically being sold by the Seattle Goodwill for $10. I jumped on that one.
Look what showed up…

Karl Blau - Nature’s Got A Way
IMG_0351.jpeg
Another thing I love about K records in the early/mid 2000s is just how collaborative everything was. Blau played on Little Wings albums and Microphones albums and Phil and Kyle in turn played on Blau’s record. They has a similar aesthetic but each has their own distinct voice.

Ok! This is much better than the online streaming I tried! Or I am in a much better state of mind.

So this is a band I would love to see see play live in a small venue. I wouldn't have a fancy drink at a dive bar, so I chose a dive bar beer that I would drink with the dude in the pic....

I also noticed that the band is mostly from the Portland area. I plan on seeing some friends this summer that recently moved out there. I am sure to sample some proper beers when I am out there!

PXL_20240509_005652701.MP.jpg

Ok! This is much better than the online streaming I tried! Or I am in a much better state of mind.

So this is a band I would love to see see play live in a small venue. I wouldn't have a fancy drink at a dive bar, so I chose a dive bar beer that I would drink with the dude in the pic....

I also noticed that the band is mostly from the Portland area. I plan on seeing some friends this summer that recently moved out there. I am sure to sample some proper beers when I am out there!

View attachment 202436

I just thought of a "fancy cocktail" that would work. There's a bar that I like to frequent and pre-game for a particular venue because their drink price is so expensive. Anyway, one $5 drink is an Old Style can of beer with a mezcal float on top. I actually would love to love mezcal, but it never really sat well on my taste buds. But my concert buddy always ordered that drink before we headed out to the venue. 🍻

I am on the last song, and I really am enjoying it!

Back