Needle Care and Questions

Hope this is the right place to ask this. So I have an ortofon red cart and needle and I have this little holder above the table that I place the now playing sleeves in. Well, the other day while listening the sleeve fell onto the player and knocked the needle off. It was on the first track but pretty far into it so it left this big scratch across the record. Eh, things happen right? Well since then the records I listen to sound very left centric. Meaning everything sounds like it’s coming from the left channel. I tried messing with the balance and both channels sound fine but when they are balanced it sounds like most of it is coming from the left. I know needles are pretty strong but could I have potentially damaged this needle on the right channel? Any input is much appreciated.

On flat vinyl, your anti-skate would have to be out of control to stop it from flying toward the center of the record.
Meaning that on vinyl with no grooves, the arm should move quickly toward the label? Is this true? I thought the entire purpose of antiskate was to work against that tendency. In fact, isn't one approach to setting antiskate to use vinyl with no grooves and find the setting where the arm stays right where it's lowered onto the spinning vinyl?

I'd like to 'hear' more about this.

Meaning that on vinyl with no grooves, the arm should move quickly toward the label? Is this true? I thought the entire purpose of antiskate was to work against that tendency. In fact, isn't one approach to setting antiskate to use vinyl with no grooves and find the setting where the arm stays right where it's lowered onto the spinning vinyl?

You are absolutely correct. The anti skate works against the center flow. When set correctly the needle should stay in one place on a record with no grooves.

Hope this is the right place to ask this. So I have an ortofon red cart and needle and I have this little holder above the table that I place the now playing sleeves in. Well, the other day while listening the sleeve fell onto the player and knocked the needle off. It was on the first track but pretty far into it so it left this big scratch across the record. Eh, things happen right? Well since then the records I listen to sound very left centric. Meaning everything sounds like it’s coming from the left channel. I tried messing with the balance and both channels sound fine but when they are balanced it sounds like most of it is coming from the left. I know needles are pretty strong but could I have potentially damaged this needle on the right channel? Any input is much appreciated.
How does the stylus look? bent? For the stylus to create a big scratch on the record, I would absolutely imagine it damaging the stylus. How long did you have on it? May be time to upgrade to a blue.

Check your anti skate. If it’s ok you may need a stylus. Recommend just get the blue since it’s compatible.

Setting anti skate with an ungrooved record is wrong, and if you did set it so the arm is stationary, you’d have too much anti skate.

I use the Soundsmith method, explained here:

It sounds like you’ve damaged the stylus. Got a picture?

Setting anti skate with an ungrooved record is wrong, and if you did set it so the arm is stationary, you’d have too much anti skate.

@Russ I I was wrong. It isn’t supposed to stay in the same place it is supposed to move slowly to the center. I have a test record that has a groove less part to eat antiskate. I just don’t have it here right now or else I would have checked that. Sorry for the misinformation

@Russ I I was wrong. It isn’t supposed to stay in the same place it is supposed to move slowly to the center. I have a test record that has a groove less part to eat antiskate. I just don’t have it here right now or else I would have checked that. Sorry for the misinformation
No problem. I’ll check out that video @HiFi Guy shared and get it straight.

I've got to say that while it's clear that Peter Ledermann is very knowledgable on the subject, his presentation is more than a bit confusing. For one thing, as he's talking, using a pen to represent a tonearm, and pointing left and/or right, he doesn't provide the visual frame necessary to inform the viewer which of those directions is toward the outer or inner edge of the record. And without an actual demonstration, I find it difficult to understand what he means by setting the stylus down 'between the runout grooves' and 'on the surface of the record.' Guess I'll search online for some video demonstrations.

I've got to say that while it's clear that Peter Ledermann is very knowledgable on the subject, his presentation is more than a bit confusing. For one thing, as he's talking, using a pen to represent a tonearm, and pointing left and/or right, he doesn't provide the visual frame necessary to inform the viewer which of those directions is toward the outer or inner edge of the record. And without an actual demonstration, I find it difficult to understand what he means by setting the stylus down 'between the runout grooves' and 'on the surface of the record.' Guess I'll search online for some video demonstrations.
You want an album with a large dead wax area. Put the stylus in the dead wax.

Adjust your anti skate so the arm drifts towards the label as slowly as possible.

@Mr Moustache @HiFi Guy @marshall here’s the stylus and the scratch it caused on the record. Which isn’t as bad as I remembered. I may or may not have been stoned when this happened 😯View attachment 92355View attachment 92356View attachment 92357
Maybe it’s the angle, but your headshell looks skewed to the right- high on the left, low on the right. This means your stylus isn’t centered in the groove. Compare to this picture. My phone was on the shelf. Everything is straight on mine.

8E49E321-A48A-47F1-942B-C5EAB6D610D9.jpeg

You want an album with a large dead wax area. Put the stylus in the dead wax.

Adjust your anti skate so the arm drifts towards the label as slowly as possible.
It's kind of amazing both that there are so many different opinions about this (use a test record/don't use a test record; use a grooveless disc/don't use a grooveless disc; set it by ear/don't set it by ear; anti skate matters/anti skate doesn't matter) AND that it's easy to find strong arguments for and against pretty much every one of them. At this point, I thank you for your statement about the problems with setting anti skate with an ungrooved record. Given everything I've read, along with re-casting my experiences with this method in the light you've shined, it makes good sense. Now I'll have to do some experimentation with the dead wax method (which of course also has its detractors).

It's kind of amazing both that there are so many different opinions about this (use a test record/don't use a test record; use a grooveless disc/don't use a grooveless disc; set it by ear/don't set it by ear; anti skate matters/anti skate doesn't matter) AND that it's easy to find strong arguments for and against pretty much every one of them. At this point, I thank you for your statement about the problems with setting anti skate with an ungrooved record. Given everything I've read, along with re-casting my experiences with this method in the light you've shined, it makes good sense. Now I'll have to do some experimentation with the dead wax method (which of course also has its detractors).
I agree about the different schools of thought.

Peter Lederman is a cartridge manufacturer and rebuilder so when he says his method is the best overall, I pay attention.

Back