Need a new system

MattS

Hey everyone! I am moving soon and have decided to upgrade my speakers and receiver. The only piece of my system I am keeping are my U-turn orbit special and my Pluto phono preamp (if I need to use it). I am admittedly not great with tech, but I figured there were a lot of much smarter and more capable people I could talk to on this forum.

I will be moving into an apartment, so I do not need very large speakers, though I am down with something bigger than the bookcase size. My prime use of the system is to play my records and my Dead CDs. My budget is 800, though I would not be against finding good speakers and a receiver for less. I have no preference for new or vintage.

Finally, I also need a new CD player. The reviews online are always so finicky, so if anyone has a multi changer player that they really like, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help. Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.

You should be able to get an old Yamaha Natural Sounds multi disc changer for less than $50 off Craigslist. At least where I’m at they’re for sale all the time. If you can wait, I get back from overseas in March and have one in good condition for a secondary system that I haven’t hooked up in a while sitting in storage. You’re welcome to it but it is a seven or so month wait. Barring that, you should be able to find one used on the cheap and easy.

Hey everyone! I am moving soon and have decided to upgrade my speakers and receiver. The only piece of my system I am keeping are my U-turn orbit special and my Pluto phono preamp (if I need to use it). I am admittedly not great with tech, but I figured there were a lot of much smarter and more capable people I could talk to on this forum.

I will be moving into an apartment, so I do not need very large speakers, though I am down with something bigger than the bookcase size. My prime use of the system is to play my records and my Dead CDs. My budget is 800, though I would not be against finding good speakers and a receiver for less. I have no preference for new or vintage.

Finally, I also need a new CD player. The reviews online are always so finicky, so if anyone has a multi changer player that they really like, please let me know.

What speakers do you currently have? And is the goal to get the most "Bang for your buck"?

You should be able to get an old Yamaha Natural Sounds multi disc changer for less than $50 off Craigslist. At least where I’m at they’re for sale all the time. If you can wait, I get back from overseas in March and have one in good condition for a secondary system that I haven’t hooked up in a while sitting in storage. You’re welcome to it but it is a seven or so month wait. Barring that, you should be able to find one used on the cheap and easy.
Thanks homie. Might have to pick one up before that, but I appreciate it. Got a bonus check I want to spend on new gear, but anywhere I can save money is much appreciated

Also if you’re still cool w bookshelves look at some of the old Boston Acoustics you can find used too. I have a pair of, I think the model is, BA-8’s. They’re actually really big for bookshelves and have impressive bass - also part of the system I don’t use.

What speakers do you currently have? And is the goal to get the most "Bang for your buck"?
Well this is another reason I’m “upgrading,” my last speakers blew out. So I’m currently speakerless. I honestly want speakers I’d be happy to have for years, but I don’t have the greatest ears. I mainly listen to jazz records, so I guess clarity is what I’m going for

Also take a look at pioneer as well. They did some really nice 6 cd changers that were like a cassette that you loaded 6 CDs into like the old car changers. There are usually a good few of them knocking about on eBay. I’d aim to try to get on or under 100 if you want to maximise the quality for the amp and speakers if going new.

Also take a look at pioneer as well. They did some really nice 6 cd changers that were like a cassette that you loaded 6 CDs into like the old car changers. There are usually a good few of them knocking about on eBay. I’d aim to try to get on or under 100 if you want to maximise the quality for the amp and speakers if going new.
Yeah, the 800 budget isn’t including the CD player, I can wait on that, but I’m still down to save money on whatever. I’m just going to be in a new apartment soon and I feel like my music will help make it feel like home more than anything else

Well this is another reason I’m “upgrading,” my last speakers blew out. So I’m currently speakerless. I honestly want speakers I’d be happy to have for years, but I don’t have the greatest ears. I mainly listen to jazz records, so I guess clarity is what I’m going for
Gotcha, well, I have an option for you to consider, it might free up some money for your receiver and maybe adding a better pre to get past the Pluto.........if you want to.

I still have my ELAC Debut B6's, I'm the original owner and the person who said they wanted them is dragging their feet to the tune of almost a year, lol. I also have a Kenwood "6 Pack" multi disc player, I bought that new as well yeaaaaaars ago. If you're interested I would let them both go for $200 total for you, but would have to look into shipping. If it's something you want to consider I'll be more than happy to look into that for you.

The CD player is this visually, not sure it's the exact model, but looks like it. Not home at the moment, I also have 3 "Cartridges" for it if I remember correctly.

Let me know and good luck on the quest :)

Yeah, the 800 budget isn’t including the CD player, I can wait on that, but I’m still down to save money on whatever. I’m just going to be in a new apartment soon and I feel like my music will help make it feel like home more than anything else

Haha fair enough! You should be able to get yourself something nice then!

If you're comfortable with used this might not be a bad deal if you can get it for under $400, they sell for $699 new.

Gotcha, well, I have an option for you to consider, it might free up some money for your receiver and maybe adding a better pre to get past the Pluto.........if you want to.

I still have my ELAC Debut B6's, I'm the original owner and the person who said they wanted them is dragging their feet to the tune of almost a year, lol. I also have a Kenwood "6 Pack" multi disc player, I bought that new as well yeaaaaaars ago. If you're interested I would let them both go for $200 total for you, but would have to look into shipping. If it's something you want to consider I'll be more than happy to look into that for you.

The CD player is this visually, not sure it's the exact model, but looks like it. Not home at the moment, I also have 3 "Cartridges" for it if I remember correctly.

Hey man, this looks like a great deal. Not sure how much shipping would be to Austin, but 200 for speakers with great reviews and a working multi-disk CD player would be very cool. Let me know what the exact model is when you get home. Thank you!

Hey man, this looks like a great deal. Not sure how much shipping would be to Austin, but 200 for speakers with great reviews and a working multi-disk CD player would be very cool. Let me know what the exact model is when you get home. Thank you!
No problem, I'll be home Friday and I'll get the exact info of the CD player for you and some pics. I'll also try and get an idea of shipping for you. I'll go ahead and hook it up as well to make sure everything is still functioning, there was nothing wrong with it when it got packed away, so I'm pretty confident it's still good :)

wow! That’s almost identical to the type of pioneer player I was talking about above, there must have been a commonality of thought on cd multichanger design in Japan in the late 80s/early 90s!

wow! That’s almost identical to the type of pioneer player I was talking about above, there must have been a commonality of thought on cd multichanger design in Japan in the late 80s/early 90s!
I remember there being similar "types" from all the major brands of the time and honestly can't remember what took me to the Kenwood.........I just remember not being a Sony fan :)

I remember there being similar "types" from all the major brands of the time and honestly can't remember what took me to the Kenwood.........I just remember not being a Sony fan :)

My dad used to have a full pioneer system with one that he got in 91. It’s still going strong in the house now almost 30 years later. That said my bro took over the house and only really uses it as an amp for Spotify, I’m the loon that caught the major music bug...

Last edited:
No problem, I'll be home Friday and I'll get the exact info of the CD player for you and some pics. I'll also try and get an idea of shipping for you. I'll go ahead and hook it up as well to make sure everything is still functioning, there was nothing wrong with it when it got packed away, so I'm pretty confident it's still good :)
Thank you so much, man! It has been a long week, so this act of kindness is very appreciated.

Also, if anyone has any recommendations on a good receiver, and a better phono, I am all ears.

Thank you so much, man! It has been a long week, so this act of kindness is very appreciated.

Also, if anyone has any recommendations on a good receiver, and a better phono, I am all ears.

I think this is current flavour of the month around these parts and musical fidelity make great gear.

I think this is current flavour of the month around these parts and musical fidelity make great gear.

Very good choice/option, @MattS where is your budget if we get the speakers/cd hammered out?

Maybe match this up with a V2 NAD C 316BEE, I think a few people have gone this route as of late with good results. Unless I have the wrong model.

Back