N&G Favourite BASSIST of All Time

Never pinned a love if Claypool on you was merely pointing out he's clearly played on "songs" despite your hatred of Primus.

Not would I EVER pin Clapton love on you or anybody else for ANY reason - he's an absolute **** and can just fuck right off!

Even Phil Collins has played on songs on albims I like.

He’s a talented bassist for sure, I just don’t think that raw talent = best. It needs more for me and that will often mean that I think people with less raw talent are better.

Meh, I thought this was fun, so I'm glad you did ;) if we all loved the same shit, it would be pretty boring

Ah we are good! We will always be good, you’re one of the good ones. But I’m spiky and opinionated and I think this place is often a North American echo chamber and so I’ll shout and scream and stamp my feet so that I can be heard.

Ah we are good! We will always be good, you’re one of the good ones. But I’m spiky and opinionated and I think this place is often a North American echo chamber and so I’ll shout and scream and stamp my feet so that I can be heard.
As the person who sparked the conversation. I think Paul is indeed a great bass player and easily in my top twenty all time. However, he is not in the same league as some of these guys.

I’m very happy there are voices to other music too, I’m really not a huge indie rock guy and that really seems to be the big thing here but we’ve carved out a nice little nook for country. Would like to think there is some healthy soul talk here too.

I also appreciate all the Irish music you’ve exposed me to.

Not that this matters, but curious - do you play bass?
No. It was an aspiration at one point. I long ago realized I do not have the disciplinary drive needed to play an instrument well. I have perfunctory knowledge of how to play a handful of instruments.

No. It was an aspiration at one point. I long ago realized I do not have the disciplinary drive needed to play an instrument well. I have perfunctory knowledge of how to play a handful of instruments.
Right on! These threads got me curious - if ONLY bass players votes were counted, who would be at the top? Similar question for guitar, drums, etc. I wonder how much they would change.

I am just taking a flier and guessing that bass players would rank McCartney higher than non-bass players.

Right on! These threads got me curious - if ONLY bass players votes were counted, who would be at the top? Similar question for guitar, drums, etc. I wonder how much they would change.

I am just taking a flier and guessing that bass players would rank McCartney higher than non-bass players.
I think he is a highly inventive bassist for sure and has written a handful of my favorite bass lines. I particularly love the bass in “Silly Love Songs.” I’m limiting myself to ten picks on these lists and just didn’t make that cut for me.

10 each:
trevor dunn
martyn lenoble
roger waters
flea
john paul jones
jack bruce
les claypool
geddy
mccartney
geezer

also-rans: