My Diagonal Room Setup Experience

Slimwhit33

People talk about setting up a square room diagonally helping the sound so figured I’d try it out in my 10’x10’ room. I was bored.

I’ll be switching it back.

I messed with it all day today, and no matter what I do there is a giant bass suck anywhere between the speakers. Moved the speakers in/out/side/side. Toed them in. Toed them out. Straight ahead. Moved couch in and out. No bass. Stand by the bookcase. Bass. By the door where pic taken. Bass. Anywhere between speakers? Nothing.

Lost a lot of storage this way and it’s not as cozy. Kinda glad it sounds much worse too tbh. Lol988F13C7-91E7-4161-AE65-307F14E79F26.jpeg

People talk about setting up a square room diagonally helping the sound so figured I’d try it out in my 10’x10’ room. I was bored.

I’ll be switching it back.

I messed with it all day today, and no matter what I do there is a giant bass suck anywhere between the speakers. Moved the speakers in/out/side/side. Toed them in. Toed them out. Straight ahead. Moved couch in and out. No bass. Stand by the bookcase. Bass. By the door where pic taken. Bass. Anywhere between speakers? Nothing.

Lost a lot of storage this way and it’s not as cozy. Kinda glad it sounds much worse too tbh. LolView attachment 64604
Good to know! Your room isn't the biggest, but it always looks so comfy and intimate. Colorized Red!

Thanks! Lol. It’s cozy. Switched everything back this morning. Glad I got it out of my system, and happy to have my sound back!!

It was so frustrating.

I don’t know if you’ve ever set up a home theater, but a tried and true method of dealing with bass nulls in that context is actually to set up the subwoofer in the main listening position and then squat-walk around the room listening for the cleanest bass response, then put the subwoofer in that spot.

Which is, as you can imagine, loads of fun.

I don’t know if you’ve ever set up a home theater, but a tried and true method of dealing with bass nulls in that context is actually to set up the subwoofer in the main listening position and then squat-walk around the room listening for the cleanest bass response, then put the subwoofer in that spot.

Which is, as you can imagine, loads of fun.

I have read a little about it and it doesn’t seem all that fun! Lol.
I don’t have a sub and tbh as soon as I realized that the diagonal thing wasn’t going to provide this blow my mind experience without one I was happy to switch it back. I love the way it sounds. But I have come across the diagonal thing so many times over the last couple years that I just had to try it. Itch scratched. Lol

I have tried this also with not so good results. My room is slightly bigger but not by much. I will say I face my sub towards the wall in the corner but the speakers are in the normal position. I know that sounds terribly wrong but it sounds the best for whatever reason. Bass is a weird thing sometimes. My home remodel I have been planning for a long time is about to reset everything though, go figure.

I know what you mean by "glad it sounds worse" too. :)

Back