Moving tips

howmuchartcanyoutake

I'm getting ready to move across the country (California to Kentucky) and my record collection has been the biggest challenge in the process. I'm getting a Uhaul Ubox, and I've been filling up the small Uhaul boxes with records. Each one seems to hold about 60ish records, I've got about 900 records so it's probably gonna be about 15-16 boxes. I'm getting rid of most of my furniture here so the Ubox will mainly be records and then boxes of other household items.

Anyone know if it's OK to stack these boxes on top of each other? Also, any general tips for moving a collection across the country?

i would not stack those boxes more than just 1 on top of another box. the danger i feel is that if it shifts enough you get a collapse or worse, the bottom breaks out and crumples whatever comes spilling out. I would double reinforce the bottom with lots of tape on the outside and then put one of those packing fillers from record mail packaging at the bottom of the box so there is an even amount of pressure being put across the box versus pressure being put against the taped shut opening.

I had luck transporting my collection once just using double layered paper shopping bags and putting about 20-30 records per bag, but that was when my collection was much smaller. Now its' 1,400+ so that's a whole other ball game. If I ever move I will probably suck it up and hire a professional moving company, have my record shelves wrapped in packing plastic and moved as one total unit. If the shelving breaks during shipping the packing plastic will keep it together and I'll have to remove the records individually without disrupting the plastic too much. I have clearly thought this through.

I'm getting ready to move across the country (California to Kentucky) and my record collection has been the biggest challenge in the process. I'm getting a Uhaul Ubox, and I've been filling up the small Uhaul boxes with records. Each one seems to hold about 60ish records, I've got about 900 records so it's probably gonna be about 15-16 boxes. I'm getting rid of most of my furniture here so the Ubox will mainly be records and then boxes of other household items.

Anyone know if it's OK to stack these boxes on top of each other? Also, any general tips for moving a collection across the country?
Kind of what Wenis said on stacking. Those boxes have an edge crush rating of 32 which means it will support around 40lbs (+/-). A box full of records is going to hit or pass that - and that’s before the bumping and flexing of a road trip. If you wanted to stack them two high you’d need a “heavy duty” rated box at minimum (supports around 65lbs). For 3 high I’m not sure about how that weight multiplier works but I think you’d have to go to something crazy like 2X wall.

I did a cross country move of about 600 albums a year ago. Went with Sleeve city boxes which are advertised as being stackable up to 3 high and got one Odyssey travel box to put the most valuable stuff in. Had 0 issues. Not the cheapest route but the boxes can be reused, which I plan on doing assuming they still seem sturdy. I had taped mine just to be safe.

Those Sleeve City boxes @bdm105 recommended look like a great starting point.

I moved my records cross-country in wooden crates, but that was over 30 years ago, and only a couple hundred records at the time. But it worked! so I think the key is sturdy containers that can be stacked without putting any weight on the records themselves.

These are (more or less) the kind of crates I used: Vintage Wood Fruit Crate

I’m planning on getting plastic crates to use for my move. There is a brand that all of the sellers use at record fares, so I think I should be ok with them. I’m also cleaning my records, sticking them in new inners and storing them out of the sleeves to keep everything protected.

Has anyone been in a situation where moving your collection by land was simply not an option? I may have to move across the Atlantic in the following year, so I've been thinking how on earth will I move all my records (along with the rest of my stuff, but let's face it, I could do without half of my clothes, but not without half of my records).

Has anyone been in a situation where moving your collection by land was simply not an option? I may have to move across the Atlantic in the following year, so I've been thinking how on earth will I move all my records (along with the rest of my stuff, but let's face it, I could do without half of my clothes, but not without half of my records).
yes, I shipped my stuff via cargo. That's the cheapest option. You can do it via airplane, it's much faster but a lot more expensive

This is what I'm planning for. Not looking forward to my records being in a shipping container for 6 weeks. Part of the reason why I'm thinking plastic storage crates for stability.

yes, I shipped my stuff via cargo. That's the cheapest option. You can do it via airplane, it's much faster but a lot more expensive
So you shipped ALL of your stuff? Just like if it was a regular moving (furniture and all)? That sounds expensive lol. I still don't know if I'll move all of my stuff, but it is most likely that I will just take the essentials (records included, of course), and just build a new home at my destination.

So you shipped ALL of your stuff? Just like if it was a regular moving (furniture and all)? That sounds expensive lol. I still don't know if I'll move all of my stuff, but it is most likely that I will just take the essentials (records included, of course), and just build a new home at my destination.
No, we moved some of our stuff: books, records, bike, clothes. It was not a whole container. I think it amounted to like $1000 or so (my company paid the relocation and plane ticket). When we move back in Europe in a few years we plan to bring a lot of the stuff we have here (except bigger pieces of furniture), it is cheaper than selling at a loss and having to buy everything new again...

No, we moved some of our stuff: books, records, bike, clothes. It was not a whole container. I think it amounted to like $1000 or so (my company paid the relocation and plane ticket). When we move back in Europe in a few years we plan to bring a lot of the stuff we have here (except bigger pieces of furniture), it is cheaper than selling at a loss and having to buy everything new again...
Oooh I see. Well, 1000 bucks doesn't sound too bad, especially if it lets you move the kind of stuff mention. I think buying a new sofa isn't as bad, but building a new wardrobe, book/record collection, etc must be terrible. I'll look into the cargo option when the time comes. Thanks for the advice!

Thanks for all the input and advice everyone, I really appreciate it. I'm definitely going to get some of those sleeve city boxes. Collecting has been such a great hobby until the time came when I actually had to move! :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for all the input and advice everyone, I really appreciate it. I'm definitely going to get some of those sleeve city boxes. Collecting has been such a great hobby until the time came when I actually had to move! :ROFLMAO:

Moving sucks. No matter what. I was dreading how much my building would raise rent on me and (can't believe I'm typing this) thanks to covid, they didn't raise rent at all. Next year when they do raise it I'll have to crunch some numbers to decide if it's cheaper to move or just pay the extra

Back