Movies

saw Poor Things last night. wasn’t aware of yorgos lanthimos’s game of making fucked up movies and the only thing i knew about this film beforehand was that emma stone’s character had been sort of frankenstein’ed. soo, i was pretty… perplexed watching this. but i enjoyed it, it was great.

i get that it’s not for everyone. i can also sympathize that it is written/portrayed through the lens of a male perspective. but i still feel that the general theme of the movie is portrayed efficiently in the way it’s presented here. the whole movie we see that a woman’s body (both in the literal and figurative sense) is an object for man to tamper with. every single man that bella (stone’s character) interacts with tries in some way to manipulate her, even when the intentions aren’t as nefarious as others. like, for instance,
harry’s big moment in alexandria, even if he wanted to look out for bella’s naivety, is just another type of mental manipulation bella is a victim of.
it’s instead bella’s interactions with other female characters where bella is allowed to flourish and grow as a person. like,
swiney showing bella her grandson and teaching bella the maternal instinct she had stated to be lacking earlier in the film is such an underrated moment, but so good.
again, i get it, this movie has too much and nearly crosses the line in going too far. but as i interpret it, it’s man saying “yea, we humans, specially us guys, are very messed up”.

as far as (lack of) menstrual blood in sex, uhhh the movie is already bloody enough as it is with all the other mutilation scenes, i dont think it needed more than that imo.
but yeah, good movie. definitely leaves you with lots to think about.

saw Poor Things last night. wasn’t aware of yorgos lanthimos’s game of making fucked up movies and the only thing i knew about this film beforehand was that emma stone’s character had been sort of frankenstein’ed. soo, i was pretty… perplexed watching this. but i enjoyed it, it was great.

i get that it’s not for everyone. i can also sympathize that it is written/portrayed through the lens of a male perspective. but i still feel that the general theme of the movie is portrayed efficiently in the way it’s presented here. the whole movie we see that a woman’s body (both in the literal and figurative sense) is an object for man to tamper with. every single man that bella (stone’s character) interacts with tries in some way to manipulate her, even when the intentions aren’t as nefarious as others. like, for instance,
harry’s big moment in alexandria, even if he wanted to look out for bella’s naivety, is just another type of mental manipulation bella is a victim of.
it’s instead bella’s interactions with other female characters where bella is allowed to flourish and grow as a person. like,
swiney showing bella her grandson and teaching bella the maternal instinct she had stated to be lacking earlier in the film is such an underrated moment, but so good.
again, i get it, this movie has too much and nearly crosses the line in going too far. but as i interpret it, it’s man saying “yea, we humans, specially us guys, are very messed up”.

as far as (lack of) menstrual blood in sex, uhhh the movie is already bloody enough as it is with all the other mutilation scenes, i dont think it needed more than that imo.
but yeah, good movie. definitely leaves you with lots to think about.

Definitely check out his other films since you liked it.

Dogtooth is a masterpiece. I'll never forget my first watch of it and just knowing it was the debut of a master.

I think upon a rewatch, I'll probably feel that way about Poor Things. The Lobster and the Favorite are also excellent. Meanwhile, Killing of a Scared Deer is the bleakest of his films (less humor) but still worth watching...

And if you check Letterbox nobody agrees with what I just said because everyone has a different favorite

Poor Things sits at a 4.2
The Favorite at a 4.0
And then the other 3 are all at a 3.8

Either way, his films are not for everyone. But when it comes to having an original vision, Yorgos, Sean Baker and Villenue are probably the cream of the crop of newer directors.

With a wider filmography I could see Greta Gerwig, the Sadfie Brothers, Emma Segilman, Alex Garland, Damien Chezelle and / or Sean Durkin getting added to that list.

But as of now, those would definitely be my 3.

Last edited:

Dogtooth is a masterpiece. I'll never forget my first watch of it and just knowing it was the debut of a master.

I think upon a rewatch, I'll probably feel that way about Poor Things. The Lobster and the Favorite are also excellent. Meanwhile, Killing of a Scared Deer is the bleakest of his films (less humor) but still worth watching...

And if you check Letterbox nobody agrees with what I just said because everyone has a different favorite

The Favorite at a 4.0

Either way, his films are not for everyone. But when it comes to having an original vision, Yorgos, Sean Baker and Villenue are probably the cream of the crop of newer directors.

With a wider filmography I could see Greta Gerwig, the Sadfie Brothers, Emma Segilman, Alex Garland, Damien Chezelle and / or Sean Durkin getting added to that list.

Hoping that Sean Baker eventually breaks out with widespread appeal like Yorgos has with The Favourite and Poor Things. His work is fantastic, such a great style and voice.

The Favorite at a 4.0

i saw on wikipedia that yorgos’s films often incorporate elements of animal cruelty, so i’ll tread carefully tbh bc that stuff gets to me more easily than other things. i liked that in poor things that aspect is just sort of there in the background for the most part.

I don't know what possessed me but I watched the new Monk movie and it reminded me of watching the show with my cousin while doing homework in college. That memory made it enjoyable and I didn't expect that.
There’s a new Monk?!

Also did the new Jeff Nichols joint with Tom Hardy doing yet another inexplicable Voice ever come out?

I’m fairly online but apparently my toddlercore media consumption habits have thrown me seriously out of the loop.

There’s a new Monk?!

Also did the new Jeff Nichols joint with Tom Hardy doing yet another inexplicable Voice ever come out?

I’m fairly online but apparently my toddlercore media consumption habits have thrown me seriously out of the loop.
It's on Peacock. Worth a watch

I kept quiet about my Letterboxd stats these past couple weeks because I was trying in earnest to hit a significant milestone before the year was out. This may seem like overkill, but there's a lot that lead to this becoming a reality.

Tonight I will log my 1000th "watch" of the year.

Screen Shot 2023-12-31 at 3.07.56 PM.png

This is actually a tad short of reality as several of the more recent short films I watched as part of virtual film festivals aren't yet listed on the TMDB database. (Short films are a non-negligible factor in me reaching this threshold.)

Prior to lockdowns, much of my free time was dedicated to concertgoing. During full quarantine, I found a drive to catch up on a lot of popular cinema that I'd missed growing up. I've had a lot of fun coming into familiarity with classic franchises, and have largely moved into obscure films and new releases.

These days, my concertgoing is more selective, and where my work time habits used to be accompanied by a perpetual musical soundtrack I've enjoyed filling with low-stakes cinema in the background. The quality of my attention varies, but I've come to feel some is often enough with a lot of media. I give my all where it's earned.

I'm finally beginning to feel somewhat "caught up" with a lot of pop cinema culture having logged over 20% of the movies/shorts I've seen in my life this past year alone. I expect that pace to taper significantly next year.

Tonight we're closing out the year with what I hope will be a goody: Beau is Afraid. Figure Ari Aster deserves that 1000th spot to put a dark and twisted wrap on 2023.

It's on Peacock. Worth a watch
I’ve never been someone who’s watched Monk but I am happy they are doing Monk movies hopefully it ends up like Matlock, Perry Mason, Diagnosis Murder or Colombo where every once in a while They do a made for streaming movie.

Back