MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

Made some adjustments to my Hana SL
Overhang and azimuth were slightly off. I can already tell it sounds better. I guess this one is fussier to set up properly.
Imaging and channel separation are excellent. My only complaint is a lot more clicks and pops than I would get from the Mastertracker, and some extra surface noise.

Overhang and azimuth were slightly off. I can already tell it sounds better. I guess this one is fussier to set up properly.
Imaging and channel separation are excellent. My only complaint is a lot more clicks and pops than I would get from the Mastertracker, and some extra surface noise.
Do you have a record cleaning solution? Like a Humminguru or something?

What gain are you using with the SL?

What gain are you using with the SL?
On my JD9, known for having a lot of gain, I have it set on the MC High using hi-out. Not sure what the exact gain is, maybe 70db? I tried lower gain (MM setting) but I would have to turn the volume on my amp well past the middle to reach decent listening volume, normal volume would have the knob at70%.
I know it shouldn’t be an indicator, but my current setting matches the volume level of my DAC input.

On my JD9, known for having a lot of gain, I have it set on the MC High using hi-out. Not sure what the exact gain is, maybe 70db? I tried lower gain (MM setting) but I would have to turn the volume on my amp well past the middle to reach decent listening volume, normal volume would have the knob at70%.
I know it shouldn’t be an indicator, but my current setting matches the volume level of my DAC input.
The heightened sound of clicks and pops can also be due to overload in the phono. This causes clipping in the phono amp, creating a form of momentary distortion. Many phonos these days have abysmal overload margins, so clipping can happen a relatively low gain.

70dB gain is probably too much for the SL, which is likely to play best at 55-60 dB gain. 70 dB is ten times more voltage gain than 60 dB. The maximum gain on my Sutherland Insight was 60 dB. I think I ran the SL at 55 dB.

From my experience, the Hana SL likes gain in the area of 60 db. I looked up the JD9 and the gains at different settings are not real clear. Then I looked up the limited schematic info available and I believe have an understanding of your pops and clicks. The JD9 is using the tubes as output devices, not part of the RIAA gain stage. The primary gain is provided by OP AMPS - not necessarily a bad thing. You do miss out on the headroom provided by an all tube phono but probably have less noise. The Hana is a pretty quiet cartridge with the Shibata stylus profile, most likely the overload recovery characteristics are the reason for your pops.

From my experience, the Hana SL likes gain in the area of 60 db. I looked up the JD9 and the gains at different settings are not real clear. Then I looked up the limited schematic info available and I believe have an understanding of your pops and clicks. The JD9 is using the tubes as output devices, not part of the RIAA gain stage. The primary gain is provided by OP AMPS - not necessarily a bad thing. You do miss out on the headroom provided by an all tube phono but probably have less noise. The Hana is a pretty quiet cartridge with the Shibata stylus profile, most likely the overload recovery characteristics are the reason for your pops.
I appreciate the explanation. The JD9 is indeed very quiet.
I know the opamps play a big role, last week I ordered some Burson V5i which are supposedly great in the JD9.
I’m going to try the low output jacks, should be about 7-8db less gain. I also have 6db attenuators I could use on the phono input, but I like the low out solution better

🤯
I can’t believe it was that simple!!!
Switched to lo-out jacks and what an improvement! I never use the low because the manual says to use hi-out if connecting to an integrated amp. I only played with the dip switches in the back. I guess the gain was the real issue here.
not only clicks and pops are reduced to an acceptable level, but the sound improved overall, much better bass response and better focus. Loving it!!
Thank you for the tip!!!!

Back