MoFi SourcePoint Speaker Thread

Not gonna lie…. Assuming no crazy terrible reviews about these, they will end up in my room. So figured I’d start a thread now.

Anyone else interested?
I would love to hear them but a) they are outside my price range and b) need too much juice to drive

At that price point, I’d have to hear them first. My former Pioneer speakers are designed by Jones.

They rate at 91db @kvetcha and claim a 30w amp would suffice so they wouldn’t require that much. Maybe 70-100w would be a sweet spot depending on room size, etc.

At that price point, I’d have to hear them first. My former Pioneer speakers are designed by Jones.

They rate at 91db @kvetcha and claim a 30w amp would suffice so they wouldn’t require that much. Maybe 70-100w would be a sweet spot depending on room size, etc.
I’m running a 12W tube amp with my Fortes. 😅

I guess it would have been more accurate to state: I’d probably need a new amp to drive them.

I’m running a 12W tube amp with my Fortes. 😅

I guess it would have been more accurate to state: I’d probably need a new amp to drive them.

Well yes, you’d need a new amp.
I’ve been wondering what a lower watt amp might sound in my system. My current amp is 100w and I know it’s more than my space needs but it sure sounds good!

Well yes, you’d need a new amp.
I’ve been wondering what a lower watt amp might sound in my system. My current amp is 100w and I know it’s more than my space needs but it sure sounds good!
I’ve got a class A tube EL34 tube amp that I’ve been considering changing. PM me if that might be of interest.

Wondering how different these are going to be different from the Tannoys. I have the 15'' Arden which sounds absolutely hefty. I wouldn't mind adding a 12" or 10" for a somewhat agile sound. BTW why are point source designs coming back in vogue in recent years?

Wondering how different these are going to be different from the Tannoys. I have the 15'' Arden which sounds absolutely hefty. I wouldn't mind adding a 12" or 10" for a somewhat agile sound. BTW why are point source designs coming back in vogue in recent years?
KEF has had them since the mid ‘80s. Andrew Jones worked for KEF back then.

I wonder how much from the price we are paying for actual product and not for the name who designed it.
After all Andrew Jones the name itself makes most audiophiles notice any new speaker he has designed

I wonder how much from the price we are paying for actual product and not for the name who designed it.
After all Andrew Jones the name itself makes most audiophiles notice any new speaker he has designed
Understand where you’re coming from, but assuming they sound great, not sure I really care.

Understand where you’re coming from, but assuming they sound great, not sure I really care.
Agree with you that if they sound good it does not matter and most reviews are favorable.

I am from India and over here i just hope some dealer keeps it on demo. Due to high import taxes and heavy freight the pricing becomes very high and the speaker by itself is not cheap. Hence such speakers are very hard to demo or worst case it would be in only one place for the whole country.

Started this thread quite a while ago with a prediction that basically came true. Once I saw the 10’s I knew that were too big for my room but here we are and the 8’s are in the house.

Impressions after 10 hrs are positive. Currently have them set up about 21” from front wall to back baffle, and 2’ from side wall on one side and 3’ on the other. Toed in only slightly. Needed to raise them 2” compared to the C7’s so used a pair of hockey pucks at each corner of the stand base.

Way too early for anything meaningful, but these are not “bright” speakers at all. Initially anyway, they seem warm compared to the C7’s.

Not running them with the sub yet and a lot of break in ahead.

More to come..
IMG_6342.jpeg

Just hit the 25 hr point. Still haven’t tried integrating the sub so just getting an idea what the SP8’s are about. Their sound has def changed in the first 25 hrs, or my heads reaction to them has, whatever camp you’re in.

I’ve been struggling to wrap my head around what I’m hearing, or how to describe it.

They can be at the same time even keeled and dynamic. They are smooth while at the same time not boring. Bass is pronounced and room placement, even in my small space, makes a difference in bass quantity/quality. Anything well recorded/mastered sounds great.. compressed tracks suffer from bass bloat at times. Still running in these drivers and will see how this bass continues to evolve.

The top end is where I have been most surprised so far. It seemed to be hinted in most early reviews that the SP10’s might be a little hot up top, and though I hadn’t seen too many of the same suggestions with the 8’s I was expecting them to be on the bright-ish side. Not one bit.. If anything they lack some of the up top air that the C7’s have, but I’m not sure that’s a detriment. There is absolutely nothing fatiguing about the SP8’s and I think they are likely doing a good job of portraying the characteristics of my upstream equipment.

The best description I can come up with, and to me this is a great compliment but maybe not to some, is that these MoFi speakers are voiced like a MoFi One Step is mastered… smooth, detailed, nothing is boosted but nothing is boring.

More to come.
IMG_6349.jpeg

Really struggling with the bass on these speakers. There is just too much of it, and it’s too boomy.. the double rear ports and the small room aren’t ideal. They’re just not for me.

Switching back to the C7’s made me realize how great they are. My speaker hunt is over unless I somehow get a much bigger room.

Before I send them back to TMR, which I have to pay a $100 stocking fee and the return shipping, meaning I’ll clear about 1700-1800, figured I’d offer them to anyone here who may want to try them. I let me know if interested.

Really struggling with the bass on these speakers. There is just too much of it, and it’s too boomy.. the double rear ports and the small room aren’t ideal. They’re just not for me.

Switching back to the C7’s made me realize how great they are. My speaker hunt is over unless I somehow get a much bigger room.
Can I suggest that you need a new room?
Edit: I’ll be honest and just say that I live with Dynaudios and 1210’s so I’m no audiophile.

Back