MOFI One-Step 2LP 45 RPM Mingus Ah Um vs. ORG 2LP 45 RPM

Bloodlemons

I finally got my MoFi Ah Um yesterday and am giving it its first spins today. Decided to A/B it with my ORG 45 2LP and was taken by how much more immediate and urgent the ORG sounds. The MoFi is downright laid-back in comparison. I started poking around on Discogs and it looks like the ORG pressing may be sped-up in general? It appears that most of the song durations are shorter by several seconds than any of the other pressings I could find. Has anyone else encountered this?

It's odd because there is something I appreciate about the "quicker" ORG pressing; it's a little more "punk rock" in some passages, a tad brighter and more "in-your-face." The Mo-Fi has a richer midrange and sweeter tone overall. But the speed thing is what's really killing me. i miss that extra kick of the ORG in a few passages on the MoFi.

Either way, philosophically, I'd prefer to hear the performance in as close to the original speed/timing/tuning as possible. Please let me know if you have any insight into this title and these pressings.

I finally got my MoFi Ah Um yesterday and am giving it its first spins today. Decided to A/B it with my ORG 45 2LP and was taken by how much more immediate and urgent the ORG sounds. The MoFi is downright laid-back in comparison. I started poking around on Discogs and it looks like the ORG pressing may be sped-up in general? It appears that most of the song durations are shorter by several seconds than any of the other pressings I could find. Has anyone else encountered this?

It's odd because there is something I appreciate about the "quicker" ORG pressing; it's a little more "punk rock" in some passages, a tad brighter and more "in-your-face." The Mo-Fi has a richer midrange and sweeter tone overall. But the speed thing is what's really killing me. i miss that extra kick of the ORG in a few passages on the MoFi.

Either way, philosophically, I'd prefer to hear the performance in as close to the original speed/timing/tuning as possible. Please let me know if you have any insight into this title and these pressings.
I don't have anything to add except my extreme jealousy of your situation.

Back