Mingus Ah Um: ORG vs. MoFi One-Step

Bloodlemons

All:

I have the title album MoFi One-Step on order but then this morning I was listening to the ORG copy I already have and... Can this album really be pressed any better? The ORG is by far one of the best sounding pressings in my collection. Really, really good.

I'm sure someone here is in the same position. Thoughts?

All:

I have the title album MoFi One-Step on order but then this morning I was listening to the ORG copy I already have and... Can this album really be pressed any better? The ORG is by far one of the best sounding pressings in my collection. Really, really good.

I'm sure someone here is in the same position. Thoughts?
I think you never know until you try. But I will say I've never heard of anyone getting a 1-Step and later reporting they didn't feel it was worth it.
But QRP is certainly stiff competition.

I think you never know until you try. But I will say I've never heard of anyone getting a 1-Step and later reporting they didn't feel it was worth it.
But QRP is certainly stiff competition.

I thought there'd be more interest in this imminent comparison. Alas! I shall report back whenever the One-Step arrives. 🍿

I believe the One-Step is going for more (per Discogs stats) in both median and highest price than the ORG.
Okay well, the ORG is within about $20 of the MSRP of the One Step. So in my books they're about the same price.

But the ORG has come down since the One Step has come out.

Also....

narc.

Last edited:
Okay well, the ORG is within about $20 of the MSRP of the One Step. So in my books they're about the same price.

But the ORG has come down since the One Step has come out.
And that is probably the proper way to look at it - the ORG was, what, ~$55 MSRP when it came out. The MFSL - $120. So, let's take the median value of $132.50 and $214.17, respectively (CAO today). The ORG has ~140% increase from MSRP; the MFSL ~80%.

So, absolutely you'd spend more on the MFSL; but relatively the ORG is punching way above its weight class.

That's just math. In the end, the big question - as posed by OP, is which sounds better.

I had the ORG in my Acoustice Sounds wishlist for a long time (showing perma-backorder) until the MFSL was announced (I also bought the SACD as an extra salve for my ORG-wounds).

Last edited:
And that is probably the proper way to look at it - the ORG was, what, ~$55 MSRP when it came out. The MFSL - $120. So, let's take the median value of $132.50 and $214.17, respectively (CAO today). The ORG has ~140% increase from MSRP; the MFSL ~80%.

So, absolutely you'd spend more on the MFSL; but relatively the ORG is punching way above its weight class.

That's just math. In the end, the big question - as posed by OP, is which sounds better.

I had the ORG in my Acoustice Sounds wishlist for a long time (showing perma-backorder) until the MFSL was announced (I also bought it the SACD as an extra salve for my ORG-wounds).
I'm still trying to find the One Step up here in Canada. But it's not really around...

I'm still trying to find the One Step up here in Canada. But it's not really around...
How's shipping to Canada from Acoustic Sounds? They still have it as TBA and available for pre-order at MSRP.

On some of those releases, MFSL's site and Music Direct have them going out first and then other retailers have a delayed release date.

How's shipping to Canada from Acoustic Sounds? They still have it as TBA and available for pre-order at MSRP.

On some of those releases, MFSL's site and Music Direct have them going out first and then other retailers have a delayed release date.

Yeah, it's brutal. Like $30+ and it's also courier so you get dutied and have to pay brokerage fees. There's no way to get it unless I can find it locally.My local has 3 on order but it's not looking likely, their last Mofi order was only like 15% filled.

Last edited:
This is what I'm saying. I just can't imagine that the One-Step can be that much better. And yet, here I wait...
I only have the MFSL but I agree. ORG is know for quality. It’s the same pressing plant as MFSL and it’s also 45 RPM. It’s only missing the fancy box. Personally I’d rather have a standard jacket - those boxes take a lot of real estate and are more difficult to protect.

I only have the MFSL but I agree. ORG is know for quality. It’s the same pressing plant as MFSL and it’s also 45 RPM. It’s only missing the fancy box. Personally I’d rather have a standard jacket - those boxes take a lot of real estate and are more difficult to protect.

It's true. The boxes are gorgeous but unnecessary.

Back