Metallica Record Club

MikeH

For those interested, seems like Metallica just started a vinyl club:

From their site:

Be one of the first to join the exclusive Metallica Vinyl Club or gift this subscription to your favorite music lover. Memberships are available for purchase from March 4 - March 31. Don't wait! Once the enrollment window closes, we will be unable to accept new memberships for the 2020 subscription year.

Subscription Contains:

• Four vinyl records including rare cuts, demos & rough mixes, and live rarities; who knows what we’ll dig up!
  • 33 ⅓ rpm (small hole) 7” vinyl
  • Digital Download Card
  • Personalized Membership Card
  • Select releases (not all four) throughout the year will include additional collectibles; this could be anything from exclusive stickers to picks, or even posters
Subscription Options:*

• Four separate shipments per year
    - Receive each piece of vinyl as soon as it is released
  • One combined shipment per year
    - Receive all four records at the end of the year when the final one has been released
*Both subscription options come with the exact same content. The only difference is how and when they are shipped.

For those interested, seems like Metallica just started a vinyl club:

From their site:

Be one of the first to join the exclusive Metallica Vinyl Club or gift this subscription to your favorite music lover. Memberships are available for purchase from March 4 - March 31. Don't wait! Once the enrollment window closes, we will be unable to accept new memberships for the 2020 subscription year.

Subscription Contains:

• Four vinyl records including rare cuts, demos & rough mixes, and live rarities; who knows what we’ll dig up!
  • 33 ⅓ rpm (small hole) 7” vinyl
  • Digital Download Card
  • Personalized Membership Card
  • Select releases (not all four) throughout the year will include additional collectibles; this could be anything from exclusive stickers to picks, or even posters
Subscription Options:*

• Four separate shipments per year
    - Receive each piece of vinyl as soon as it is released
  • One combined shipment per year
    - Receive all four records at the end of the year when the final one has been released
*Both subscription options come with the exact same content. The only difference is how and when they are shipped.
Does this mean that the 4 vinyl records will be 7" or does this mean we'll get 4 LPs and 1 7"?

This is definitely appealing to me. However, I would want to know who is doing the mastering on these before biting the bullet. Some of the previous box-sets/special editions/etc. are hot garbage and others are fantastic.

I would guess based on the pricing that its 4 7"s yet they are 33RPM?
I agree, I read this as (4) 7"s at 33RPM. The pricing makes sense too. You figure you're getting a 7inch, some goodies, and a membership card. So basically $12.50 per installment. I think $12.50 for some at least semi limited Metallica stuff sounds right. The real gamble with these is will they be enjoyable, and/or will collectors be willing to drop big cash once they miss out.

I'm a huge Metallica fan, but I'm going to pass. For me, it feels more like a merch grab and isn't really a commitment to music and vinyl. Rare cuts, demos and rouge mixes aren't things I expect to be reaching for very often, especially if I'm getting 2(ish) tracks per 7".
But I could see packages also selling for $50 each in a year. Metallica stuff generally has a weird way of always gaining value once it's no longer available.

Last day for this. $69 shipped US (4 shipments). Harsh but tempting.

Back