Mac Demarco -- I don't get it

Bloodlemons

Mac Demarco has been just on the periphery of my consciousness for, what, several years? I finally sat down and listened to some of his stuff last night and... I don't get it.

He sounds like a marginally-talented local coffee shop open mic dude. Some of it is bad. Flat out. Some of it is... OK. Pretty good even.

What am I missing here? Persistence?

Last edited:
Mac is, simply put, a one-trick pony. I adored his 2017 album This Old Dog, but aside from that, barring a few other tracks, I find much of it I can take or leave. His newest album is a masterclass in blah.

Thank you. I listened to This Old Dog first, then the new one. Then I switched back and forth a bit (bandcamp). I can't say I *hated* any of it, but... I played in bands in college and in my twenties and nearly any Tuesday night I was hearing better stuff from local bands than this.

Mac is, simply put, a one-trick pony. I adored his 2017 album This Old Dog, but aside from that, barring a few other tracks, I find much of it I can take or leave. His newest album is a masterclass in blah.
This Old Dog is when I got off the Mac truck. I really enjoyed everything before that tho, but the one trick gets stale quick.

Back